Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2019, 07:06 AM   #26
AlexR
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgumaer View Post
FWIW, I run 5 Radion XR30 pros, 3 over a 180 and 2 over a 60 cube (24x24x24). I supplemented the 3 over my 180 with 4 5-foot T5s. Personally, I would not run Radions without either: 1) using more than the recommended number of fixtures (like my running 2 XR30s over my 60 cube) or 2) supplementing with T5s. It has been my experience that it is difficult (impossible?) to get good, even light distribution with just one fixture for every 2 feet of tank space. But, maybe its just me.......Also, mine are gen 2 and gen 3 pros so maybe things work a little different with gen 4s.

Matt

I have run PAR tests and it comes out perfectly for the types of corals I am keeping. I don’t see any need to supplement yet.
G4 radions are absolutely different.

AlexR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2019, 12:45 PM   #27
AlexR
Premium Member

I added a fan that turns on at 80° and off at 78° water temps.
My PH did go up slightly.

Unread 05/24/2019, 12:59 PM   #28
mattgumaer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexR View Post
I have run PAR tests and it comes out perfectly for the types of corals I am keeping. I don’t see any need to supplement yet.
G4 radions are absolutely different.
Makes me jealous. I had good LPS, softies and 'easy' sps but struggled with acros with just 3 gen 2 radion pros over my 180. Bought a par meter and was shocked at how different the lighting levels were in areas of the tank that looked the same to my eye. Much more success after supplementing with T5s.

But, back to the original topic, Bulk Reef Supply just posted a 'BRS Investigates' video on the subject of Ph and growth so, that might be worth watching (I haven't yet).

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2019, 01:04 PM   #29
AlexR
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgumaer View Post
Makes me jealous. I had good LPS, softies and 'easy' sps but struggled with acros with just 3 gen 2 radion pros over my 180. Bought a par meter and was shocked at how different the lighting levels were in areas of the tank that looked the same to my eye. Much more success after supplementing with T5s.

But, back to the original topic, Bulk Reef Supply just posted a 'BRS Investigates' video on the subject of Ph and growth so, that might be worth watching (I haven't yet).

Matt

Watching it now. Thanks!!

https://youtu.be/guDySmm99b4

Unread 05/24/2019, 01:21 PM   #30
AlexR
Premium Member

Based on the videos a PH of 8.3 increases growth exponentially compared to a ph of 7.8.
So yea it makes a difference.

Unread 05/24/2019, 08:49 PM   #31
AlexR
Premium Member

I am seeing steady improvement since adding a fan. Thanks for the tip!!

Unread 05/26/2019, 08:21 PM   #32
AlexR
Premium Member

Looks like it’s peaking at 8.15ph. I won’t mess with it too much but will try to get it up to 8.3ph.

Unread 05/27/2019, 01:52 PM   #33
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexR View Post
Based on the videos a PH of 8.3 increases growth exponentially compared to a ph of 7.8.
So yea it makes a difference.
Not ssure I want more growth. My tank (180) is using about 5 dKH Alk daily and I run my CA reactor at 120 ml/min with reactor ph of about 6.5

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2019, 02:17 PM   #34
AlexR
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Not ssure I want more growth. My tank (180) is using about 5 dKH Alk daily and I run my CA reactor at 120 ml/min with reactor ph of about 6.5

I’m not that stocked yet. I’ll be happy when I can say I’m not sure I want more growth in my tank.

Unread 11/21/2019, 06:00 PM   #35
AlexR
Premium Member

Just wanted to update my old post.
I found my issue to be a bad temp sensor which was allowing stray current into my tank causing the PH probe to read incorrectly.
Now my PH goes from 7.75 to about 8.1.
Depending on if windows are open and if I have people I’m the house. Highest it’s went is to 8.3 when no one is home and windows are open with fans on.

Growth has been consistent either way.
I have a hammer which I bought with 7 heads. It now has 14 heads after 5 months.
Same type of growth for a frogspawn. Bought it with 2 heads and now has 6 heads after 5 months.
All my montis are growing on rock and healthy.

I’m extremely happy with my tank.

Unread 11/21/2019, 06:17 PM   #36
Sk8r
RC Mod

Doing fine!

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote