Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/25/2018, 10:54 PM   #1
fishnpups
Registered Member

Exclamation New anemone! Please assist

Hey ya'll, so, I recently got a bubble tip anemone! (3 days ago)

I have 165 watt LED lights. The blue lights are currently at 80%, white light at 60%.

I came home, the lights are off for the night (10:15 AM-10:15 PM) but is my anemone pooping or expelling zoanthel? (however you spell it)

It's mouth is open as the pictures show and it has a hard brown lump (not string) expelling from the mouth.

The params are currently(API test kit from about 10 minutes ago):
Ph- 8.4
Nitrite- 0
Ammonia- 0
Nitrate- 60 ppm (I know, I did water change today to lower it, they were UNDETECTABLE before anemone was added) can do another water change again tomorrow.
Salinity- 1.0255
tank age- 6 months+ (Since May of 2017)

Since it's arrival the anemone has not fully closed it's mouth, nor is it gaping.

It also has not fully inflated, although half the tentacles will inflate, the bottom half are just hanging, dangling.

Does this anemone look like it will recover with water changes or should I remove it before it spikes organics in the tank?

The anemone has NOT MOVED since it was placed either. It is sticking, just with the discharge I am worried.

If the "Poop" is hard and not slime, should I be worried?

The pictures are from earlier to reference mouth size, which has not changed to gaping(yet). I've been keeping a close eye since I received the anemone, since in acclimation it was nearly folded over onto itself.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg anemone 5.jpg (88.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg anemone 4.jpg (83.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg anemone 3.jpg (41.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg anemone1.jpg (97.5 KB, 51 views)
fishnpups is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 11:24 PM   #2
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Phosphate readings?

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 11:26 PM   #3
humphreyhh
Registered Member

The pictures are showing an ok anemone. Mine extended right after I introduced him into my tank. Yours might be taking a little time. It looks ok. Give it a little bit more time. Also the opening mouth is ok if it stays like that. Wide opened mouth showing the inside is what you would look out for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 11:32 PM   #4
fishnpups
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNBUG361 View Post
Phosphate readings?
phosphates are undetectable. I tested it before i ordered the nem. They stay undetectable or barely detectable at all times. The hair algae just won't leave since it's inception. I think because I used the wave pumps on old tank that had it. I've tried lights out periods, Rinsing all plumbing,pruning every rock, everything. just can't stop it.

Also, sump is 10 gallon with coralife 65 skimmer and herbie drain flow, chaeto, refugium with supplemented copepods, live sand, plant grow light, tank is 45 gallon bowfront

I had a previous 25 gallon that crashed due to failing anemone last year so I'm paranoid.

Unread 01/25/2018, 11:35 PM   #5
fishnpups
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreyhh View Post
The pictures are showing an ok anemone. Mine extended right after I introduced him into my tank. Yours might be taking a little time. It looks ok. Give it a little bit more time. Also the opening mouth is ok if it stays like that. Wide opened mouth showing the inside is what you would look out for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thank you! that's what I figured. I'm just paranoid. I have 2 $100 clowns, (black ice and phantom), and a hammer, and pacchy(sarus(?)), not to mention the Captive bred mandarin definitely do not want to risk a tank crash :-/

Unread 01/25/2018, 11:47 PM   #6
CleanReef
Registered Member

Looks pretty good to me. Leave it be ☺

CleanReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 11:56 PM   #7
fishnpups
Registered Member

I'm just paranoid.

I didn't like coming home and seeing him open with brown stuff coming out, but if it's poop, that's okay. We all gotta do it.

I apologize for the crappy picture but the lights are off. The mouth is now the most closed I've seen it and my black ice appears to be quite taken with it, but no bubbles in sight . I'll soon have to get a green one for my phantom

Going to do water change again tomorrow just to level out the nitrates and hopefully little bit will expand.

Unread 01/25/2018, 11:57 PM   #8
fishnpups
Registered Member

whoops, forgot to attach the picture -.-

Attached Images
File Type: jpg anemone finale.jpg (53.9 KB, 37 views)
Unread 01/26/2018, 08:32 AM   #9
Navig8tr
Registered Member

You might consider protecting it from the clown with a small inert colander/fruit basket until it establishes itself. Clowns can be quite lovingly rough on them as they are trying to settle in.

Navig8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 01:16 PM   #10
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

It's ok to be paranoid, sometimes we have to act quickly, sometimes just back and relax.
Had a look, looks fine, don't over feed, once a week at most small piece of shrimp fingernail size. Ron Reefman, who has great expertise on Nems, would tell you they don't need to be feed at all, just great water and good light...

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 10:12 PM   #11
fishnpups
Registered Member

Thank y'all. Bta is fine for the most part now. About to start new thread since its been doing something kind of funky but is healthy looking. If you want to check it out. My anemone is now attaching to snails constantly ._.

Tags
anemone, bubble tip anemone, chemistry, water parameters