Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/16/2019, 05:32 PM   #1
Tennyson
Registered Member

Mounting Overgrown Goniopora

Hi fellow reefers,

Just picked up a beautiful goni that I'm trying to mount.

The problem is that its encrusting on the underside of the frag. I'm worried that gluing it flat will kill tissue, cause infection or delay growth. So for now I glued it onto a totem pole made of frag plugs

The obvious issue now is the underside won't get any light. Am I better off just putting it flat and gluing over tissue? Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190616-191414_Gallery.jpg (61.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190616_191257_477.jpg (46.1 KB, 62 views)
Tennyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2019, 11:06 AM   #2
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

I’ve had 3 experiences with gonipora, the first two were similar. Ok for a while, then they withered away. My current one (red) has been with me for a couple of years now and doing great. In has been my experience that biggest success factor is good (moderate) flow, with a changing pattern through the day. I had to keep finding a place it would not sting anything else and moved it to a temporary position in a corner behind some rocks with rather low lighting. It’s never looked better

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2019, 05:14 PM   #3
lionfish300
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennyson View Post
Hi fellow reefers,

Just picked up a beautiful goni that I'm trying to mount.

The problem is that its encrusting on the underside of the frag. I'm worried that gluing it flat will kill tissue, cause infection or delay growth. So for now I glued it onto a totem pole made of frag plugs

The obvious issue now is the underside won't get any light. Am I better off just putting it flat and gluing over tissue? Thanks!
I bought my red at a frag front a fellow reef quite some years ago it was a quarter size and now it easily 8 inches long like a big fat potatoe (if you can imagine). I did not glued to a rock or anything, it just build it own and of course the under side does not get light. It just natural. This go the same for my media shower. Hope this help

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote