Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/15/2019, 12:34 AM   #1
docartieg
Registered Member

kalk solution john guest pipework problem

Hi

Not sure if anyone else has ever had issues with there john guest fittings, however, I have a tunze osmolator in a water tank that pumps ro water through to a KS100 Octopus kalk stirrer. The various connections from tank to kalk stirrer to aquarium tank all have been made using john guest fittings including some control taps along the way. Everything has been working well for 6 months or so until yesterday. When I discovered that a blockage occurred in the hose that returns the kalk water solution into my aquarium, this occured pretty much at the end of the hose run. It appears the weak point in my link was one of the many john guest fitting that I am using along the way, which blew and caused a leak in my house. Has anybody had something like this happened? If so what can I do to improve on my design of the kalk auto top-up system?

docartieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2019, 01:35 PM   #2
blowmecius
Registered Member

When I used to top off with kalk, the end of the hose would occasionally clog. Just clean it out with a pipe cleaner or small bottle brush. I suggest you keep one nearby and add this to your routine, at least once every 6 months. Occasionally had to cut off the last 1/2" or so of hose.

Unread 08/15/2019, 03:02 PM   #3
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

It's common, and may even be unavoidable. I made it easier to clean by adding a plastic air hose Y fitting (they are green) to the dripping end. This moves the clog to the fitting, which is easy to pull off and clean and/or soak in vinegar.
But every few years the stuff builds up in the tubing anyway and I removed that, bang it around a lot to dislodge the deposits, and run water to flush out the chunks. It makes me wonder if CO2 is infiltrating thru the tubing by osmosis.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2019, 05:45 PM   #4
Rafty
Registered Member

I had a similar clogging issue with my calcium reactor outflow tubing. I installed an in line fuel filter and problem solved. No more blockages only need to clean/replace fuel filter periodically.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F282800250149

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rafty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kalk john guest