Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/11/2017, 04:02 PM   #1
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Apex 2016. Orp 140?

Hello, I received last Saturday my new Apex 2016 and the probes section had some salty remainings and one probe probably ORP was almost dry.

So I installed the unit yesterday and the salinity reading was way too low than what is really was, so I calibrated it and problem fixed, but the ORP reading is 140 and I hardly believe it is that low, but I cannot calibrate it since calibration solutions were not provided, so my question is what is the chance it needs calibration? Because it is supposed to be calibrated from factory right?

Other question is, how can I change the scale of salinity measures to 1.020- 1.02? From the one that comes stardard?
Regards

Current Tank Info: 110 gal SPS tank, 3 G4 Pro Radions, Geo 618 calcium reactor, 2 x MP 40 Vortech, Vectra M return pump, Octopus Elite 200-int skimmer, APEX controller
Leopardshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2017, 09:28 PM   #2
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

ORP probes need to 'break in' and can take weeks to read properly. Fortunately ORP is pretty much useless anyhow. I don't think apex can display SG. salinity is better anyhow.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 09:03 AM   #3
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Thank you very much for your input.
I read that the reading could be out of parameters but I thought this is too much!
Regards

Current Tank Info: 110 gal SPS tank, 3 G4 Pro Radions, Geo 618 calcium reactor, 2 x MP 40 Vortech, Vectra M return pump, Octopus Elite 200-int skimmer, APEX controller
Unread 09/12/2017, 01:04 PM   #4
five.five-six
Registered Member

Orp is very useful if you use ozone.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 06:53 PM   #5
Leopardshark
Registered Member

hello, I hope you can help me because I tried to calibrate the ORP probe today with pinpoint 400 calibrating solution and the probe couldn't be calibrated.
When I start doing the calibration process the first step is to place the probe in Quinhydrone 4.00 solution, does it is ph 4.00 calibration solution? Because I bought at the lfs the 400 orp calibration solution and I immersed in it and the probe could not be calibrated. I got a message stating the calibration couldn't be done.
Thanks for your input.
Marco

Unread 09/12/2017, 06:54 PM   #6
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
That's exactly what I need it for.
Regards

Unread 09/12/2017, 09:13 PM   #7
five.five-six
Registered Member

Under ORP probe setup did you check "orp enable". That tuns the 2nd BNCinto a ORP probe.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
Unread 09/12/2017, 09:16 PM   #8
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quinhydrone Is NOT pH 4.0 solution. Ph 4.0 is for low range calibration for use on freshwater tanks.

Quinhydrone Is a compleatly differant solution used for ORP calibration.

"I hate that hole"

Unread 09/12/2017, 09:50 PM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
If you say so .....

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 09/13/2017, 08:34 AM   #10
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Quote:
Quinhydrone Is NOT pH 4.0 solution. Ph 4.0 is for low range calibration for use on freshwater tanks.

Quinhydrone Is a compleatly differant solution used for ORP calibration.
Ok, so I´m lost now.

Unread 09/13/2017, 08:34 AM   #11
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Quote:
Under ORP probe setup did you check "orp enable". That tuns the 2nd BNCinto a ORP probe.
Ok I will look into that asap. Ok I just looked into it and it is enabled so I wonder why still after 3 days the ORP lecture is around 140

I will wait for more days hoping it will start reading correctly.

Thank you

Last edited by Leopardshark; 09/13/2017 at 08:40 AM.
Unread 09/13/2017, 09:06 AM   #12
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
If you say so .....
You're kidding, right?

SMFH.

"I hate that hole"

Unread 09/13/2017, 09:17 AM   #13
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardshark View Post
Ok, so I´m lost now.
For SW tanks you calibrate your pH probe for high pH, SW is basic so you use ph buffer 7.0 and 10.0

Freshwater tanks are acidic, you calibrate for low range and use 4.0 buffer and 7.0 buffer

ORP test redox and you don't use pH buffer to calibrate, you use quinhydrone

https://youtu.be/17erFZs3SUg

Edit, just watched it and they are saying to mix the quinhydrone with the 4.0 buffer nd 7.0 buffer.

Try this:

Calibrate it from the display module without the probe connected, you may have to do it twice. That should reset the calibration to factory settings

If that doesn't work, open a Ticket with neptune support, they are very good.

"I hate that hole"

Unread 09/13/2017, 02:54 PM   #14
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
You're kidding, right?

SMFH.
Well, yes and no (whether shaking FH or not ). I see no good purpose for O3 in a modern reef tank frankly - I moved on from it decades ago (2 decades, to be precise). But I have made that point elsewhere are need not make it again here. Continue on.

Unread 09/13/2017, 08:48 PM   #15
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Well, yes and no (whether shaking FH or not ). I see no good purpose for O3 in a modern reef tank frankly - I moved on from it decades ago (2 decades, to be precise). But I have made that point elsewhere are need not make it again here. Continue on.

I'm considering using it, for no other reason than water clarity. I have a 6' peninsula and you pretty much look straight down it long ways when you walk into my house.

"I hate that hole"

Unread 09/13/2017, 09:46 PM   #16
kurt_n
Registered Member

Quote:
hello, I hope you can help me because I tried to calibrate the ORP probe today with pinpoint 400 calibrating solution and the probe couldn't be calibrated.
When I start doing the calibration process the first step is to place the probe in Quinhydrone 4.00 solution, does it is ph 4.00 calibration solution? Because I bought at the lfs the 400 orp calibration solution and I immersed in it and the probe could not be calibrated. I got a message stating the calibration couldn't be done.
Thanks for your input.
Marco
It sounds like you started the calibration process using pH 4.0 solution?

If you started the calibration process, but did it the wrong way, this is why your ORP might be reading so low. Once you start the calibration process, you can't just cancel it. I'm thinking your calibration for the ORP might be bad, giving you the wrong number.

If this is the case, the only way I know to fix it is to recalibrate. And this requires the Quinhydrone solution. You might want to contact Neptune - maybe there's a way to just reset the ORP variables to their default values without messing with anything else.

As far as whether or not ORP is useful and the little sidebar battle going on... that's not really helping Leopardshark with his question, is it?

kurt_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 06:54 PM   #17
vhuang168
Registered Member

Or your ORP really is at 140.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 07:43 PM   #18
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Thank you all for your input.
So far, the orp reading went from 140 to 220 in one day, I hope It will go up until it is under real values. And if not, I will contact neptune to request quinin... whatever it is called lol
In regards of the battle whether or not to use ozone or uv, I believe in respecting other peoples choices and whatever works for them. And I will continue using ozone

Unread 09/17/2017, 09:58 AM   #19
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you all for your input.
So far, the orp reading went from 140 to 220 in one day, I hope It will go up until it is under real values. And if not, I will contact neptune to request quinin... whatever it is called lol
In regards of the battle whether or not to use ozone or uv, I believe in respecting other peoples choices and whatever works for them. And I will continue using ozone
ORP calibration on the Apex is not needed. As mentioned above, you cannot calibrate using standard calibration solutions. You need to get quinhydrone and Neptune does not supply that. You have to find it online and it's tough to find. Also as noted, ORP probes take weeks to settle in during which time, they will continue to climb until the are settled in. If you mistakenly started the ORP calibration process, you may have messed up the default calibration process in which case a complete factory reset may be needed in order to restore the ORP calibration to default. That or you will need the pH 4 solution and quinhydrone. Once your ORP probe settles in, you can use the 400mv solution to verify the calibration by placing the probe in the solution and leaving it in there for several hours to see what it reads.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2017, 08:18 AM   #20
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
ORP calibration on the Apex is not needed. As mentioned above, you cannot calibrate using standard calibration solutions. You need to get quinhydrone and Neptune does not supply that. You have to find it online and it's tough to find. Also as noted, ORP probes take weeks to settle in during which time, they will continue to climb until the are settled in. If you mistakenly started the ORP calibration process, you may have messed up the default calibration process in which case a complete factory reset may be needed in order to restore the ORP calibration to default. That or you will need the pH 4 solution and quinhydrone. Once your ORP probe settles in, you can use the 400mv solution to verify the calibration by placing the probe in the solution and leaving it in there for several hours to see what it reads.
Thank you very much for your comments. ORP has been going up from time to time, today is one week after instalation so I hope I didn´t messed up the configuration.