Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/04/2011, 07:53 AM   #51
Rxfoote
Registered Member

Just an update - I had to modify my canopy, but have the fixture fully installed now. I wasn't waiting long enough at first for the ramp up time. This fixture is awesome! The colors are intense, the white is just as good as my T5's were, and the coverage is complete. I've seen quite a few other LED setups and am very impressed with the Vertex! I wish I could figure out how to snap pictures, but can't seem to get it right.

Rxfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2011, 08:15 AM   #52
bluebastion
Registered Member

double post. (my bad)

Current Tank Info: 13.5 Evo
bluebastion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2011, 08:17 AM   #53
bluebastion
Registered Member

Ok I've had the light for a few weeks now and have gotten really familiar with programming it. Now I have a few questions/potential problems I need help with:

1) Is it normal for the time to not move real time? I'm talking about the display on the actual fixture.

2) I've noticed recently that my "thunder"/lightning storms haven't been activating. Of course I'm not around all day to really take note... so I thought I'd open the light studio and do it manually using the Special Settings Tab. I click on "Do Lightening" (that's how it's spelled in the program) and the fixture does nada.

BTW, my Vlink is connected and in "green" status.

What's going on with my fixture?

Unread 09/05/2011, 08:30 AM   #54
hagarthefish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebastion View Post
Ok I've had the light for a few weeks now and have gotten really familiar with programming it. Now I have a few questions/potential problems I need help with:

1) Is it normal for the time to not move real time? I'm talking about the display on the actual fixture.

2) I've noticed recently that my "thunder"/lightning storms haven't been activating. Of course I'm not around all day to really take note... so I thought I'd open the light studio and do it manually using the Special Settings Tab. I click on "Do Lightening" (that's how it's spelled in the program) and the fixture does nada.

BTW, my Vlink is connected and in "green" status.

What's going on with my fixture?
Try unplugging the cable from the divider/splitter box (the one that runs to the main unit), then plug in again......"hopefully....Bingo!"

hagarthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2011, 08:35 AM   #55
bluebastion
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagarthefish View Post
Try unplugging the cable from the divider/splitter box (the one that runs to the main unit), then plug in again......"hopefully....Bingo!"
Perfecto!!!! Wow... how often do you have to do this?

Unread 09/06/2011, 10:45 AM   #56
Rocky_Mtn_Reef
Moved On

My light fixture is coming in today, and I am trying to decide how much intensity to start off with. I had a current USA 2 x 250w 14k Pheonix with 4-54w Giessman Super Blue and Purple+ bulbs. The MH's on this fixture sucked because the reflectors are so small. So I wasnt getting very good spread. So should I start the whites off around 30% and the Blues around 45%. Any input would be appreciated...dont want to fry all my SPS.

Rocky_Mtn_Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2011, 11:20 AM   #57
hagarthefish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebastion View Post
Perfecto!!!! Wow... how often do you have to do this?
I've had to do it once, but i've only had my unit two weeks!

Unread 09/06/2011, 11:30 AM   #58
hagarthefish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Mtn_Reef View Post
My light fixture is coming in today, and I am trying to decide how much intensity to start off with. I had a current USA 2 x 250w 14k Pheonix with 4-54w Giessman Super Blue and Purple+ bulbs. The MH's on this fixture sucked because the reflectors are so small. So I wasnt getting very good spread. So should I start the whites off around 30% and the Blues around 45%. Any input would be appreciated...dont want to fry all my SPS.
I went from 2x150w blv bulbs to vertex 1200, it is the 200 version not the 260. I started at 45 white/ 50 blue and 50 royal. After a week I upped the white to 50 also. Everything is happy, mushrooms are open, they are first to close if light is too high.
If you have the 260, remember the whites are 30% brighter!!

A couple of my soft corals sulked for just over a week, but are happy now. Nothing is in decline......so far so good....

Unread 09/06/2011, 12:22 PM   #59
Rocky_Mtn_Reef
Moved On

How long have you had your fixture running for now?

Unread 09/09/2011, 01:26 AM   #60
hagarthefish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Mtn_Reef View Post
How long have you had your fixture running for now?
The led's have been running for 3 weeks only, but so far so good

Unread 09/09/2011, 09:34 AM   #61
Rocky_Mtn_Reef
Moved On

Ok....got it up and running. But ive noticed that when I transition to the moonlights it takes forever for them all to turn on. The rise and set time are set for 1hr. But only one pad will be lit up during that time and looks dark. I know i can increase the intensity through the moon composition. But i figured that the 1 hr rise and set time would be for all of them to turn on and off. Throughout the night they will all slowly turn on and off.

Unread 09/09/2011, 09:54 AM   #62
Kolognekoral
Registered Member.

You have the moonlights in the East/West Point mode, which only has a few pads working at one time.

Current Tank Info: 1000l dual-tank w/sump, Vertex Pro-Bio Pellets reef; VERTEX Illumina SR260 LED+Red light, Vertex Alpha 250 skimmer
Kolognekoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2011, 04:17 PM   #63
Rocky_Mtn_Reef
Moved On

Whats the best moonlight setting then?

Unread 09/09/2011, 07:35 PM   #64
bluebastion
Registered Member

I keep mine on the lunar cycle (based on the amount of days you enter in till the full moon in time/date settings). I do this because I want to mimic what the moon is really doing outside in the real world. I would like to think it makes a difference.

As for the East to West, or West to East I have it set go the same direction that I have my day cycle going. I used thedogfather's settings as a baseline for my settings btw.

Unread 10/08/2011, 09:55 AM   #65
Rockpoolie
Registered Member

Hi All

I've just got round to playing with my Illumina SR200 and must admit I'm well impressed not that I've been able to achieve much to date. Over here in UK not many reefers have seen the light (sorry) and switched on to Vertex yet, possibly the prices here but what I've seen well worth it.

I'm really struggling with a number of things in relation to the desktop control panel, and the manual in my mind is less than helpful. Yes it show the different options but doesn't explain how to use then even when trying to use the custom mode I'm constantly getting error messages in saying that the set periods are too close. Can anyone provide a bit of an idiots guide or point me in the right direction, I know this unit is capable of providing what I want but I'm becoming increasingly frustrated in getting it to do what I want.

cheers

edit - My remote firmware is 1695 but the latest on the Vertex site is 1631 which is latest as you'd think higher number is newest

Last edited by Rockpoolie; 10/08/2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: updated
Rockpoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2011, 07:40 PM   #66
notclear
Registered Member

Rockpoolie, did you fix the problem?

V1.695 has been posted on Vertex's web site. Any one has any idea on what are the changes?

Last edited by notclear; 10/14/2011 at 07:46 PM.
notclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2011, 08:55 AM   #67
Retzius
Registered Member

Hello new vertex illumina user here. I downloaded all the files into my computer and I am not getting a connection to my lamp. When I run the vertex light app I get "No Lamp" at the bottom.

I am using a 2009 Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard. I do have Windows 7 in bootcamp, I may have to resort to this if I cant get my mac running the software.

Anybody using the software with a mac? Should I try this command posted earlier,

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

Thanks

Retzius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2011, 11:37 AM   #68
Retzius
Registered Member

Ok I was able to establish connection with my Mac. The connection is spotty and you do have to be within 5ft. I also was successful at uploading my color programming but noticed I had to do it when a connection was established at the bottom. If the bottom read "No Lamp" and I uploaded a new program, the programming would reach an error. So upload your programming when you see a connection at the bottom of the screen when running the vertex app. Hope that helps somebody.

Retzius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2011, 09:21 AM   #69
notclear
Registered Member

From Vertex webite, they have the v-link firmware 1.695. I understand that this firmware is for the USB V-link stick. Can anyone let me know how to upgrade the firmware of the v-link stick?

If I go to the desktop software, summary, update firmware, it is for updating the light fixture, but not the stick itself.

Thanks in advance.

Unread 12/10/2011, 06:09 AM   #70
notclear
Registered Member

Found the remote firmware update option under the File menu!

Unread 12/28/2011, 10:47 AM   #71
NoHooks
Registered Member

Hi. I finally installed my desktop software and I have a question already. I can't tell if I'm using the latest version because the user manual shows the Special Settings page to have a "Fast Motion" button; however, my software has a "Light Preview" button. Since I'm still learning the software I can't tell if the functions are identical because it doesn't look like I am getting a 3 minute condensed program review. Any ideas?

Current Tank Info: The Blue Lagoon - 240 gallon mixed reef
NoHooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2011, 10:59 AM   #72
notclear
Registered Member

Light Preview is the later. You can also click on the About (or ?) icon to see the software version.

Unread 12/28/2011, 01:28 PM   #73
NoHooks
Registered Member

Thanks. Happy New Yewar to all!

Current Tank Info: The Blue Lagoon - 240 gallon mixed reef
NoHooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2012, 04:37 PM   #74
Uncko Macko
Registered Member

How do I update the firmware on the V-link? I was performing a firmware update for the light fixture and it prompted me to update the stick.

Uncko Macko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2012, 04:41 PM   #75
notclear
Registered Member

The remote firmware update option is under the File menu.