Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2017, 12:56 AM   #26
uncleof6
Registered Member

On weir height::

The actual depth of the weir below the top of the tank, is almost an unknown variable, until such a time as one knows the actual flow rate of the system. The flow rate, and length of the weir can be used in weir calculations to determine the head height the water will reach behind the weir. 1 - 1.5" is a rough estimate, that may not fit all particular setups and flow rates. In general however, if one maximizes the weir length, in relationship to the tank LENGTH, this is a good starting point.

The actual flow rate of the system cannot really be estimated either. One needs to set a target flow rate, then using friction loss charts along with the real life plumbing configuration, one can choose a pump that will hit that target flow rate, in the particular application. Most folks go about it backwards, (get the pump first) and end up thinking that 1.5" is enough top clearance, and others thinking it is not, and really have no idea what their flow rate actually is. This is indeed an engineering problem, that requires some basic math skills and logic. The formulas and pertinent information is easily available on the internet. Put simply, you cannot get a pump to do the job, unless you know exactly what the job it needs to do is.

HTH

NOTE: Outside the Aquarium Hobby, weirs are used to calculate the water flow rate in a channel (river, dam spillway, etc.) so the results of using weir calculations can be rather accurate. (all related to the head height behind the weir; eg upstream from the weir.)

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 01:30 AM   #27
patmos
Registered Member

Thank you Uncleof6 .... yes Most of us goes backwards....

patmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 08:21 AM   #28
Kaiser699a
Registered Member

This looks like an interesting build and I will be following to see what you stock as mentioned by others.

I have a BM Curve 7 as well and mine runs really well but I think your water level might be a bit too high. Mine runs perfectly in 8 inches of water. I am only making the guestimate you are higher than that by how far up the skimmer the water is. I would recommend lifting the skimmer to sit in 8 inches if you can.

Also I have the Jebao DC6000 (old version than yours). It runs great as well and the control and feed function are very good. Just watch out for the kink in your return hose. That will limit your flow and make the pump work a bit harder - neither good in the long run.

Good luck.

180g (US) DT with 30g (US) sump. Softies and LPS. Red Fire Fish, Royal Gramma, 2x Ocellaris Clowns, 2 Spot Tang, 4x Green Chromis, Lyretail Anthias, One Spot Foxface, 2x Azure Damsels, Green Clown Gob
Kaiser699a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 08:45 AM   #29
patmos
Registered Member

Thank you Kaiser699a. you guess it right. The skimmer was just placed at an incorrect level for testing in fresh water . Later I placed something underneath when it started skimming. Now I've designed some platform with eggcrate to raise it by around 3 inches...which will lead me to around 9 inches of water depth.
I'm just waiting a bit due to some ceiling works in progress. Need to finish this before filling the tank...
Will certainly let you all know what I will get stocked in the tank.
No fish shop here....but reef is near. Just wait and see

Unread 04/18/2017, 04:58 AM   #30
patmos
Registered Member

Slowly but surely

Ceiling work is over now.
Updates.....
Now working on the aquascape....
2 inches sand bed
Still filling big containers with NSW collected at high tides near the reef

Unread 04/19/2017, 09:00 AM   #31
Reefable
Registered Member

This build is awesome...you have all the supplies (water, corals, sand) in your backyard that we here in North America have to pay for. When i saw that pic of you holding the sps colony (funny how u said its a frag for us its huge) i was so timid to fly down lol...enjoy your build following along...

Reefable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2017, 09:13 AM   #32
patmos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefable View Post
This build is awesome...you have all the supplies (water, corals, sand) in your backyard that we here in North America have to pay for. When i saw that pic of you holding the sps colony (funny how u said its a frag for us its huge) i was so timid to fly down lol...enjoy your build following along...
Thank you Reefable. Yes indeed everything is easily available for my tank except for some fish where I will need the help of professional divers. I've spotted the company who exports expensive fish to the US but they won't sell to me.Just thinking of a fish like the Gem Tang costing more than 2000 USD in the US.
Coral collection or import is illegal here. Will have to manage this issue. The frag you saw in my hand was just lying near the shore and was still growing in shallow water. I left it where it was because my tank is not yet ready. If I could send this to you......

Unread 04/19/2017, 09:39 AM   #33
thaitopher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmos View Post
Thank you Reefable. Yes indeed everything is easily available for my tank except for some fish where I will need the help of professional divers. I've spotted the company who exports expensive fish to the US but they won't sell to me.Just thinking of a fish like the Gem Tang costing more than 2000 USD in the US.
Coral collection or import is illegal here. Will have to manage this issue. The frag you saw in my hand was just lying near the shore and was still growing in shallow water. I left it where it was because my tank is not yet ready. If I could send this to you......
I would review the laws again. You wouldn't be importing or exporting a coral by getting it out of the ocean. There might be some other applicable law though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

thaitopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2017, 10:54 AM   #34
patmos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaitopher View Post
I would review the laws again. You wouldn't be importing or exporting a coral by getting it out of the ocean. There might be some other applicable law though.
Yep my own law will apply...........

Unread 04/19/2017, 12:43 PM   #35
Reefable
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmos View Post
YEAH Gem Tang are crazy expensive here and if you get a hand on one cherish it as much as you can...wish you all the luck on your set up those corals needs some intensive lighting so be prepared...if i could i would set up a nice sps pond in the backyard and grow colonies like crazily

Reefable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2017, 05:38 AM   #36
patmos
Registered Member

Dear Friends. I will soon start the cycling of my tank.
I have used all aged dead rock for the aquascaping work. I want to know if I can add live uncured rock , taken directly from the sea, to the tank to help the cycle. What I mean here is rock with all living creatures and bacteria in it. Nothing dead on it....coz the sea is 15 minutes away.
Or should I leave the rock for some days to let the animals in it die, then use it as a cycle booster. help please

Unread 04/27/2017, 10:26 PM   #37
Darthv247
Registered Member

sure you can use rock from the ocean. that is live rock just as many of us have paid good money for. you should not have any die off if its used quickly and kept moist. i would check for hitchhikers though and certain sponges should be removed

Darthv247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2017, 05:16 AM   #38
patmos
Registered Member

Thank you darthv247. But to start the cycle quicker, should I not add a some rock with die-off to produce the ammonia ?
My understanding is that the rock with die-off will produce more ammonia
The useful bacteria from the "fresh" live rock ( and also from the other rock) act on the ammonia and continue to multiply until forming a useful colony.
Not sure if my reasoning is good.....
Or is fresh live rock,direct from the sea, enough to start cycling?

Unread 04/28/2017, 04:20 PM   #39
The Bean
Registered Member

Whatever you do whether you use live rock mature or dead you will still have some die off as you have no loading in your tank yet...chances are although the live rock will be very high in natural bacterias etc it will not anywhere near enough natural bacteria for the volume of water to bio load ratio it is used to in the vast Ocean compared to a relatively small tank.....although I would say using the live rock still very beneficial....think you need a few few fish or start adding some small amounts of ammonia to give you a loading first. Good luck looks a great build.

The Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2017, 06:26 PM   #40
dimasv
Registered Member

Love your tank. Following

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Unread 05/17/2017, 08:16 AM   #41
patmos
Registered Member

Cycling tank

Time for some updates.....
I started cycling my tank with the shrimp method. I'm using NSW.
I placed several pieces of live rock taken directly from the reef( 15 min Journey to home) and put some 3 pounds of live sand taken also from same place. the other aquascape rock are dead rocks.
I tested the various water parameters ( salifert). All were ok except for Nitrate which came around 50 ppm and has remained almost same since the start.
I got no Ammonia and Nitrite for the whole 2 weeks.....
I was worry why cycle did not start...Then reading some articles online about tank that cycled on the first days.....due to live rocks
I wanted to do some experiments. I first added small snails and sea star
I observed for some days. they were doing well. I then added 3 sea urchins.
Then I added 2 gobies and an Idol I found on the reef. I said to myself if cycling has not started with the shrimp, it will surely start with the increase in tank population. I feed once a day with very small amount of fish food.
My test still came with zero Ammonia and zero nitrite..
I will wait again with this population.....If it remains same I will assume my tank is cycled.No water changed done up to now
I know I'm going unconventionally but at least I will learn something and share
Any idea please share with me.

Sorry I forgot to tell that I was tempted to add this fungia experimentally

Unread 05/24/2017, 11:51 AM   #42
patmos
Registered Member

Still zero Ammonia with increased bioload...
will keep monitoring

https://youtu.be/FLp1vUumeSw

Unread 06/13/2017, 04:21 AM   #43
Kaiser699a
Registered Member

Wow, that Idol is absolutely beautiful!
I know this might be a bit late but I had bad experience with using egg crate sheets under a sand bed. I couldn't tell anything was wrong until I broke the tank down to move to a bigger one. The little squares had limited water moving and/or critters getting through the sand to stir it. The sand had gone black and very smelly where the egg crate sheets were. I vowed never to do use it again.
How is the bubble magnus working out for you?

180g (US) DT with 30g (US) sump. Softies and LPS. Red Fire Fish, Royal Gramma, 2x Ocellaris Clowns, 2 Spot Tang, 4x Green Chromis, Lyretail Anthias, One Spot Foxface, 2x Azure Damsels, Green Clown Gob
Kaiser699a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2017, 08:39 AM   #44
patmos
Registered Member

Tank @ 13 June 2015

Very sorry to announce that my idol is no more....eaten my unsuspected guest. All urchins removed now. Will surely add one Idol...Saw many on the reef but not easy to catch....

My aquarium as it is now
Addition of new corals... and few fish...all for free
......Gobies..,Three striped Damsels, Sergeant Major
Water parameters are ok except fort Nitrates

and a school of Chromis

Unnamed coral

As for the eggcrates...they dont just lie on the floor...They are on short PVC pipes pillars..so there is enough water movement under it.The sand is being regularly moved by some secret inhabitants..oh forgot to tell that there are some unnamed seashells living in my tank

Unread 06/13/2017, 08:56 AM   #45
patmos
Registered Member

A short video..May 2017

https://youtu.be/Ms3pLiNWqyA

Unread 06/13/2017, 11:57 AM   #46
patmos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser699a View Post
How is the bubble magnus working out for you?
Installed at the recommended height , the Maggus is excellent..Brown skimmate. I clean the cup on a weekly basis

Unread 06/24/2017, 08:56 PM   #47
vikinglord13
Registered Member

Nice update. Sorry to hear about the idol. I lost my maroon clown a couple weeks ago :/

vikinglord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 12:57 AM   #48
janci
Registered Member

Nice tank.
Living there, I would opt for a sun light lit aquarium... To make it an even more Mauritius reef tank.
Good luck.

janci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 08:46 AM   #49
patmos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikinglord13 View Post
Nice update. Sorry to hear about the idol. I lost my maroon clown a couple weeks ago :/
Very sorry for your clown.
New idol caught on reef patch and added to tank
Vagabond and Racoon also added...just for display
They're so beautiful
not sure I will keep them cause of my corals

Unread 06/25/2017, 08:47 AM   #50
patmos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janci View Post
Nice tank.
Living there, I would opt for a sun light lit aquarium... To make it an even more Mauritius reef tank.
Good luck.
Thank you. good idea!!!