Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2012, 09:30 AM   #626
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsps40 View Post
Very nice equipment room. Cant wait to see the final product.
Me neither!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan66
Thanks againg for the great info.
No problem, really need to figure out what I'm going to do next....

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef
The frag tank looks sick! Who did the acrylic work?
Picked it up from a local reefer for ~$300 or something last fall. Found it on the selling forums and had been sitting for ~6 months and I revived the thread and bought it that night because he was only 10 minutes away from my house. He did a great job building it and is made out of 3/8" acrylic and has additional support at all the seams. If I were to build it I likely would have built out of 1/2" cast acrylic but it did the job and the overflow baffle adds more support to it.

I can't claim I build that one as my 125 gallon sump was my first acrylic project but it went well (No leaks yet!)

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2012, 08:27 PM   #627
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

This afternoon while closely looking over all my corals in the frag QT noticed that I had some small white 5-6 'legged' creatures. After some research seems that they are hydroid jellyfish. From what everyone has said online it seems to be a non-pests and just something many see during the 'new tank phase'. I've never had them and could not get a shot but are just like pictured below. Anyone have any thoughts/opinions or disagree that they would be considered a pest?

As for the tank, did some cleaning up of the sump this afternoon and took the ATS offline temporarily. I'd like to work on a 3D ATS once I have some time and make it easier to clean/maintain and downsize to the newest recommendations. I'm probably going to play with sketchup, figure out a DIY LED fixture, and go at that at a later date.

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Unread 05/19/2012, 08:32 PM   #628
SPotter
Registered Member

I have/had them too Dustin. My kids thought they were tiny snow flakes on the inside of my tank. They are disappearing little by little now.

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2012, 08:47 PM   #629
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Orphek DIF-50 LED Fixture

This afternoon I got a 14k Orphek DIF-50 fixture to give a spin on the frag tank.

Fixture has a 60 degree optic and I've currently got it set 12-13 inches above the water surface and can say I'm quite impressed. Below I took some pics showing the Metal Halides (Pheonix 250 Watt 14ks). Realize the MHs are two bulbs and without taking the fixture apart, I can only light two at a time but I can say this LED pendant seems to have just as much spread as a single 250 watt MH. They sell them as a replacement to a 250 watt MH and I believe it! Next week I'll be moving frags over to the main system as long as nothing unexpected happens.

Orphek Pendant (End View):

2 X MH (End View):

Orphek LED side view:

Another:

Orphek lit, 2 X MH lit, and 2 ATI Purple Plus T5s lit:

I had heard good things about the Orpheks and will have to see how things progress once coral are present.

Unread 05/19/2012, 08:51 PM   #630
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
I have/had them too Dustin. My kids thought they were tiny snow flakes on the inside of my tank. They are disappearing little by little now.
They say many fish will eat them sometimes too but not too concerned about them. I'm sure the population will disappear in a little while. Maybe in the frag tank the 2 X MP40s will provide enough flow that they won't be able to hold on.

Unread 05/20/2012, 10:20 PM   #631
drummereef
Team RC Member

The new Orphek pendant looks sick! Are the colors independently adjustable or is it a proprietary blend?

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2012, 07:11 AM   #632
SPotter
Registered Member

do you have a par meter to do some comparison testing?

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
Unread 05/21/2012, 08:47 AM   #633
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post
The new Orphek pendant looks sick! Are the colors independently adjustable or is it a proprietary blend?
They are not independently adjustable and has OFF/ON currently. This is one of the older DIF50s they had and one row is UVs, one is REDs, and the rest are white/blues but will have to look at the chip later to make sure I'm being accurate with this. I think from what I understand they've changed up the multichips so that the LEDs are scattered now so the lens is not biased on any section unlike the fixture that's currently above the frag tank.

Diodes currently on the DIF 50/100 XPs have the following mix:
White
Violet 430nm
410nm UV
640nm Red
660nm Red

Newest mix on the multi-chip LEDs are set up as follows:

Unread 05/21/2012, 08:59 AM   #634
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
do you have a par meter to do some comparison testing?
No PAR meter currently but probably will try to pick up the club meter in the next couple of weeks to do some testing. I'd like to pick up another LED fixture in the next couple of weeks, possibly the ApolloReef one and then trying to build my own DIY fixture and comparing them all. I've got this really nice MH/T5 fixture but have not had any luck selling it yet.

Unread 05/21/2012, 08:18 PM   #635
drummereef
Team RC Member

Cool, thanks for the info!

Unread 05/21/2012, 08:34 PM   #636
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

I looked at the DIF 50 better tonight and looks like it's 10 rows of 5 LEDs.

5 rows of whites, 2 rows of blues, 1 row of reds, and 2 row of UVs.

Today I also put an order into Apollo for a SolarBlast dimable unit to give a trial run over the frag tank too I have my reasons for picking up the Apollo. While they don't have all the bells/whistles of some of the fixtures, once you've set everything I really don't see the point in many of the selling points of the other branded fixtures. It might have the same housing as some of the "chinese fixtures" but it has a one piece heatsink, dimable via the controller, mix of blue/white/UV Bridgelux LEDs, and Meanwell drivers.

I might just build a DIY fixture from ReefLEDLights.com too but not yet decided on the direction of that.

Unread 05/23/2012, 09:31 AM   #637
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Apollo Fixture In!

I've got my single test Apollo Fixture in and of course I snapped a couple shots and took it apart, why not right?! I'm quite impressed with this fixture and how well the electronics are sealed off from the elements. I'll not yet light it until later because I've got to program my Apex for the sunset/sunrise but that should just take a little bit to program. I'll get more pictures and will likely write a review on the fixture at a later date. Joe from Apollo has been an AMAZING resource and very responsive and happy to answer any questions/concerns I have.

Package includes fixture, instructions, hanging kit, three cords; 1) Moonlights, 2) Blue/UVs, and 3) Whites. It then has the ethernet port so you can simply plug in the RJ45 from your controller to dim the two channels separately. I think I can get the right coloration I want with just the two channels and think the other LEDs are just a gimmick and provide no real benefit to our reefs. Time will tell with my testing as I think I might pick up a DIY kit from ReefLEDLights so I can make sure I'm correct on this and the unuseful spectrum provided by reds/greens/etc...

Solid aluminum heatsink and molex connectors on all fans/drivers. This is nice should a driver/fan go bad later.

Meanwell drivers and three fans (I think 60mm) and the fans are on full time when either LEDs are powered on:

LED cluster. 55 LEDs with lenses and a couple LEDs built into board for moonlights.

I'm trying to get a hold of a PAR meter to do testing on multiple fixtures soon

Unread 05/23/2012, 09:41 PM   #638
drummereef
Team RC Member

Dude, you are the man! A couple of local reefers use the Apollo fixtures and love them. Still wish the price would come down a little on these things or I'd bite.

Unread 05/24/2012, 07:53 AM   #639
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post
Dude, you are the man! A couple of local reefers use the Apollo fixtures and love them. Still wish the price would come down a little on these things or I'd bite.
Thanks!

I got the light programmed and currently doing a 5 hour photo period at 50% on blues and 40% on whites and ramping those both up/down for a two hour period. I love the coloration and spread of these lights, I'll try to get some pictures up today/tomorrow since I've got a four day weekend! Seems I get the right coloration I like by keeping the blues at a little higher of a percentage but I have a feeling I'll never go above 60-80% on these on my 18" high frag tank, just keeping close eye on frags now.

Local club member got back with me this morning and said PAR meter would be available next week if I wanted to grab it and seeing if it's available today so I can do some testing of the Orphek/Apollo over my four day weekend. I'll try to take really good pictures with PAR readings everywhere once I get meter and have the time to lay it all out.

Unread 05/25/2012, 08:00 AM   #640
matthorvat
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Dustin1300;20271905]This afternoon while closely looking over all my corals in the frag QT noticed that I had some small white 5-6 'legged' creatures. After some research seems that they are hydroid jellyfish. From what everyone has said online it seems to be a non-pests and just something many see during the 'new tank phase'. I've never had them and could not get a shot but are just like pictured below. Anyone have any thoughts/opinions or disagree that they would be considered a pest?

That's awesome! Four weeks tomorrow I've had my system circulating. I spotted the same things this morning. I also have micro white organisms darting all over my refug glass. Love the build. Has motivated me along with mine! Can't wait to see it when it's finished!

matthorvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2012, 04:37 AM   #641
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Thanks and I can't wait until it's done either! The hydroids gave me a little sick feeling in my stomach but now that the frags have made way to the big frag tank, have not seen them. My frag QT is drained/refilled and ready for another round of frags.

I've had one of the monti caps bleach out and a couple of the frags start to lose some coloration while in the frag QT. Think it had to do with the multiple dippings more than anything as the season's greeting right beside it has more color than it did when coming into the tank. With time I'll see the color bounce back so hoping in the next month it does....With my dosing dialed in for now I was rather happy with the past 3 tests I've done this week. Alk - 9.1, Calcium - 440, Mag - 1395, PH - 8.10 (Towards end of photoperiod), and Nitrates - 0!

This morning headed to buy some frags (Sunny D Zoas, Whammin Watermelon Zoas, Green Rics, and a Red Acan) then off to Premium Aquatics annual 'Garage Sale' so see if I can find any deals I can't pass up then!

Unread 05/26/2012, 02:39 PM   #642
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Picked up the frags I mentioned earlier and may be getting some additional ones this weekend/week so I can start another round of dipping since frags are now all moved over to my tank.

Made it over to Premium Aquatics for the 'garage sale' and picked up reefcrystals salt for $6/bag to just use for my fish QT tank for a while and some Red Sea Pro salt for my main system for $25/bucket!!! Also picked up a nice waste collector and a few other items for amazing prices. Wish I would have made it earlier as some of the items I saw (Vertex RO/DI system for $50, Hanna Full Phosphate checker for $25) made me a bit sick.

Enough babbling but rarely do you come across rock bottom prices of reef items

Unread 05/26/2012, 05:15 PM   #643
Prospec1
Registered Member

looking good

Prospec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2012, 08:06 AM   #644
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin1300 View Post
Picked up the frags I mentioned earlier and may be getting some additional ones this weekend/week so I can start another round of dipping since frags are now all moved over to my tank.

Made it over to Premium Aquatics for the 'garage sale' and picked up reefcrystals salt for $6/bag to just use for my fish QT tank for a while and some Red Sea Pro salt for my main system for $25/bucket!!! Also picked up a nice waste collector and a few other items for amazing prices. Wish I would have made it earlier as some of the items I saw (Vertex RO/DI system for $50, Hanna Full Phosphate checker for $25) made me a bit sick.

Enough babbling but rarely do you come across rock bottom prices of reef items
Why tease us by saying that you got some new frags but not post any pictures??????????? Get that camera out and start snapping some pics!!!!

Unread 05/27/2012, 01:18 PM   #645
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:
Why tease us by saying that you got some new frags but not post any pictures??????????? Get that camera out and start snapping some pics!!!!
I will try tomorrow! Some of us don't have a 100mm macro!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Unread 05/27/2012, 01:19 PM   #646
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Quote:

Yet

Unread 05/27/2012, 04:10 PM   #647
lalo809
Registered Member

orlando

lalo809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2012, 08:10 PM   #648
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:

Touche!!!! Unfortunately my rental period was up so the lens has been returned to its owner....lensrental.com. I highly recommend that site.

Unread 05/27/2012, 08:14 PM   #649
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Gosh...You guys are so hard to please! Just got home so snapped a couple quick shots with the phone! (I'm getting lazy like Steve and did not feel like going upstairs and getting my big boy camera)

Whole Frag tank shot:

Acan, chalice, sunny Ds, and blastos:

Not sure on ID, don't think they are PPEs as the skirts are brown:

Traded off ~1/2 my torch for two varieties of hammer. Now I have two varieties of hammers, a torch, and two varieties of frogspawn. Think I'm done with euphyllias!

GSP? I pulled the bullet on what I called a weed in your tank Steve!

Whammin Watermelons:

Hairy Mushrooms...Orlando, might regret this one

Unread 05/28/2012, 06:25 AM   #650
syedjilani
Registered Member

Nice build.... tagging along... I got nice ideas from you thread to make algae scrubber for my new built.

Old 300G tank thread " My 300 Gallon Reef in Saudi Ar

Current Tank Info: shttp://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2150301
syedjilani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantik, in-wall tank, indmas, leds, mixed reef, orphek, reefaholic