Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/12/2019, 08:27 AM   #3051
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
Thank you Slief,

the new SM300 did NOT come with the 90 degree elbow that connects to the red hose for ozone in the fitting that is near the wedge pipe??

SM 250 has this elbow that I am talking about.

Thanks
The ozone connection on the 300 goes straight from the ozone nozzle on the pump to the tube connection on the wedge pipe support with no elbow needed. See attached photos below.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 11/12/2019 at 08:36 AM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2019, 09:20 PM   #3052
sensei
Registered Member

Slief,

The tip you gave me of raising the level of the sump for the SM250 is working great. The level of the bubbles was stable before, but now that the sump level is higher I opened the wedge pipe a little more and I see much more particles in the skimate. Thanks a lot.

In addition I have the new SM 300 in sump and have both skimmers working in the system now. the SM 300 is breaking in.
I saw several videos in of people working with SM skimmers at a sump level of 28cm so my SM300 is working at that level and seems to be doing fine. I have the pump set up at 50W, the only thing I noticed is that the bubbles in the SM300 are bigger near the top of the collection cup and the bubbles in the SM250 are smaller. Does the size of the bubbles have anything to do with pump speed?

best regards

best regards

Unread 11/12/2019, 10:07 PM   #3053
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Slief,

The tip you gave me of raising the level of the sump for the SM250 is working great. The level of the bubbles was stable before, but now that the sump level is higher I opened the wedge pipe a little more and I see much more particles in the skimate. Thanks a lot.

In addition I have the new SM 300 in sump and have both skimmers working in the system now. the SM 300 is breaking in.
I saw several videos in of people working with SM skimmers at a sump level of 28cm so my SM300 is working at that level and seems to be doing fine. I have the pump set up at 50W, the only thing I noticed is that the bubbles in the SM300 are bigger near the top of the collection cup and the bubbles in the SM250 are smaller. Does the size of the bubbles have anything to do with pump speed?

best regards

best regards
Drop the pump speed on the 300 to 46 or so watts. Maybe a bit lower. 50w is too high in my opinion. That will help the bubble size. You want the bubbles smaller. The fact that the skimmer is just breaking in will also impact the bubble size as will the load relative to the skimmer size which with the equivalent of a 550mm skimmer on your size tank will likely be an issue anyways once the skimmers drop the load.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 01/04/2020, 07:39 AM   #3054
sensei
Registered Member

Slief,

here is an update:

I have been working with both skimmers SM 250 and SM 300 in my tank for 2 months now and they are working great. They are skimming more than double the liquid I would export with only 1 skimmer. Skimmers have been working consistently with no issues.

questions:
the wedge pipe of my SM250 is closed more than 50%. it is working fine and skimming well, but I want to know what happens if I higher the level of the water in the skimmer compartment so that I can open more the wedge pipe?

when you open the wedge pipe you allow more flow in the reaction chamber, which means more turnover of water in the chamber correct? is this beneficial to the skimming process or not?

I am thinking that the more turn over in the reaction chamber the more particles the skimmer could trap??

I am now working the SM 250 at a water level of 22cm, I am thinking of highering the level to 25 cms so that I can open the wedge pipe more.

would this be a good idea to try or should I just leave everything as it is now?
please explain me why in you answer.

thanks

Unread 01/04/2020, 08:26 PM   #3055
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Slief,

here is an update:

I have been working with both skimmers SM 250 and SM 300 in my tank for 2 months now and they are working great. They are skimming more than double the liquid I would export with only 1 skimmer. Skimmers have been working consistently with no issues.

questions:
the wedge pipe of my SM250 is closed more than 50%. it is working fine and skimming well, but I want to know what happens if I higher the level of the water in the skimmer compartment so that I can open more the wedge pipe?

when you open the wedge pipe you allow more flow in the reaction chamber, which means more turnover of water in the chamber correct? is this beneficial to the skimming process or not?

I am thinking that the more turn over in the reaction chamber the more particles the skimmer could trap??

I am now working the SM 250 at a water level of 22cm, I am thinking of highering the level to 25 cms so that I can open the wedge pipe more.

would this be a good idea to try or should I just leave everything as it is now?
please explain me why in you answer.

thanks

Go ahead and raise the water level in the sump. It won’t impact the performance at all. Opening the wedge pipe has no impact on flow nor does the water level in the sump. Closing the wedge pipe raise the level inside the skimmer just like raising the sump level raises the level inside the skimmer but neither effect the flow. The pump speed is the only thing that impacts the flow rate.

Unread 01/05/2020, 08:28 AM   #3056
sensei
Registered Member

thanks a lot

Unread 02/29/2020, 10:33 AM   #3057
OffDaHook
Registered Member

Hello, I have a 500 gallon total water volume setup and currently run a SM200 with a heavy bio-load. I'm looking to upgrade skimmers and am confused on an apples to apples comparison between the Deluxe and SM series.

I'm assuming that the SM250 is compatible to the Deluxe 300 or should I be looking at the Deluxe 250 in comparison to the SM250? Or am I off on what size I should upgrade to all together, any thoughts?

OffDaHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2020, 08:17 PM   #3058
nornicle
Registered Member

Hi there looking to join the BK club. if i run a roller mat on a 120 gallon and run the heavier ‘1/2 inch per gallon’ load should i be using the 180 or 150 double cone?

nornicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2020, 09:57 PM   #3059
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffDaHook View Post
Hello, I have a 500 gallon total water volume setup and currently run a SM200 with a heavy bio-load. I'm looking to upgrade skimmers and am confused on an apples to apples comparison between the Deluxe and SM series.

I'm assuming that the SM250 is compatible to the Deluxe 300 or should I be looking at the Deluxe 250 in comparison to the SM250? Or am I off on what size I should upgrade to all together, any thoughts?
Sorry for the late reply. Had this question been posted in the bubble king form, I would’ve caught it immediately. Our skimmers are very conservatively rated and should be based on the display volume and not the system volume. FWIW, I have a bio load based on our standards is 1/2 inch of fish per display gallon. Chances are you’re SuperMarin 200 is more than up for the task. I ran a SuperMarin 250 on a 500 gallon display (700 total gallons) with over 70 fish in it and nearly a dozen of those were 8 inches plus. And that skimmer could’ve handled a lot more. I would not have run a 300 on that system. If you are seriously considering an upgrade, the deluxe 250 would be better suited for handling a moderate to heavy load with your display size.

Unread 03/07/2020, 10:00 PM   #3060
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nornicle View Post
Hi there looking to join the BK club. if i run a roller mat on a 120 gallon and run the heavier ‘1/2 inch per gallon’ load should i be using the 180 or 150 double cone?
Tough call there. I probably lean towards the 180 as it’s easier to tune than the 150 but a Mini 160 wouldn’t be a bad choice since it’s set it & forget it where as the Double Cone 150 takes a bit of time & patience to get it dialed in with the adjustable nozzle.

Unread 04/14/2020, 02:17 PM   #3061
reeftivo
Skim junkie

looking to get a true footprint of the Double Cone 150 with Red Dragon 6 DC 12V. Based on RE's smallest mm measurement with pump it looks like just under 8"w x just over 14" long (using the second port option on the body).

also, since it's rated at just over 92 gallons, would this be crazy for a medium stocked mixed reef 60 gal cube? I think the 150 neck is 3.75" and my ATB skims well with that same size neck, so i figured the 150 may still work well. I was looking at the 130 too but I may be upgrading to slightly larger system later in the year.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2020, 05:25 PM   #3062
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeftivo View Post
looking to get a true footprint of the Double Cone 150 with Red Dragon 6 DC 12V. Based on RE's smallest mm measurement with pump it looks like just under 8"w x just over 14" long (using the second port option on the body).

also, since it's rated at just over 92 gallons, would this be crazy for a medium stocked mixed reef 60 gal cube? I think the 150 neck is 3.75" and my ATB skims well with that same size neck, so i figured the 150 may still work well. I was looking at the 130 too but I may be upgrading to slightly larger system later in the year.
If you are going to upgrade then the 150 should be fine but a medium load would be 1/4” of fish per display gallon and a medium load in a 60 gallon display is on the low side for this skimmer. That said, if your ATB is working OK for you then the Double Cone should be an upgrade that will certainly perform better.

Footprint is 245x330mm. Here is the data sheet.
https://royalexclusiv.net/images/con...50_RD6_eng.pdf

Unread 04/15/2020, 07:13 AM   #3063
reeftivo
Skim junkie

thank you sir

Royal exclusive got back with me and were very helpful as well.

some interesting info from Dominik about the RD X pump and the 150. the RD X doesn't appear to sit on a pump stand and seems to have a shorter intake venturi, so if run parallel/opposite the torque tube it should further reduce the width. it would be nice to have a little more space for sure. I wasn't aware there was an option for that pump on the 150. Very nice customer service from them for sure in getting back to me within a few hours.

i appreciate your reply as well and happy reefing!!!

Tivo

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
Unread 04/28/2020, 10:59 AM   #3064
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
If you are going to upgrade then the 150 should be fine but a medium load would be 1/4” of fish per display gallon and a medium load in a 60 gallon display is on the low side for this skimmer. That said, if your ATB is working OK for you then the Double Cone should be an upgrade that will certainly perform better.

Footprint is 245x330mm. Here is the data sheet.
https://royalexclusiv.net/images/con...50_RD6_eng.pdf
Hi Slief

Would you know if the USA store has or would be able to get the 130 double cone with the RD x pump? If so, any idea on what it would cost? I didn't see any on the site.

thanks in advance

tivo

Last edited by reeftivo; 04/28/2020 at 04:48 PM.
Unread 04/28/2020, 09:51 PM   #3065
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Hi Slief

Would you know if the USA store has or would be able to get the 130 double cone with the RD x pump? If so, any idea on what it would cost? I didn't see any on the site.

thanks in advance

tivo
They aren’t yet available in the US and were only just announced. Give it a couple months or so and we should have them here along with official pricing. Keep an eye on royalexclusiv.com as well as our official forum here on Reef Central

Unread 04/29/2020, 11:25 AM   #3066
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
They aren’t yet available in the US and were only just announced. Give it a couple months or so and we should have them here along with official pricing. Keep an eye on royalexclusiv.com as well as our official forum here on Reef Central
thanks Slief

pulled the trigger direct from germany. couldn't wait to spend a little of the stimulus before life happens and something like my fridge goes out LOL.

I'll post some pics and a little mini review for all the smaller tank reefers out there. They have some crazy designs coming out from what i've seen. some different takes on the mini 160 with the new DC pumps as well as others. they seem to have been busy.

Unread 04/29/2020, 06:41 PM   #3067
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
thanks Slief

pulled the trigger direct from germany. couldn't wait to spend a little of the stimulus before life happens and something like my fridge goes out LOL.

I'll post some pics and a little mini review for all the smaller tank reefers out there. They have some crazy designs coming out from what i've seen. some different takes on the mini 160 with the new DC pumps as well as others. they seem to have been busy.
Sounds good! Looking forward to hearing your feedback!

Unread 05/11/2020, 05:30 PM   #3068
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Well, I received the new double cone 130 x DC and i have to say it sure is purdy! After i ordered it, Fed Ex delivered it 6 days later direct from Germany. Not too shabby. No dings or dents on the box which was surprising. I took some dry pics (below) and then got super impatient and had to get it wet.
apologies for the small pics as my work computer here resized them and i'm too lazy to edit them.

BK 130-1.jpg

BK 130-2.jpg

BK130-3.jpg

BK 1.jpg

BK 130-11.jpg

Unread 05/11/2020, 05:32 PM   #3069
reeftivo
Skim junkie

more pics of the pump and a cruddy shot of the very nice controller. The impeller is pretty huge for such a small tiny pump.
BK 130-10.jpg

BK 130-11.jpg

BK 130-12.jpg

BK 130-14.jpg

BK 130-13.jpg

Unread 05/11/2020, 05:35 PM   #3070
thirst
Registered Member

im running a bk 250 on this tank a 750 with a lot of fish

https://youtu.be/zzmHnRjNIjw

its pulling out a ton of skimmate every week. the cup fills up completely every week, a total work horse.

This is an SPS tank, and my nutrients are actually okay, i added all the fish because my other tanks were all nutrient deprived. I am wondering if a BK250 is the right skimmer. I do have a BK300 just sitting around. The pump is older so it wasn't skimming as efficiently, perhaps I should buy a new pump and see if that drives the bk300 correctly?

Thoughts slief?

hope your move went well!

thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2020, 05:36 PM   #3071
reeftivo
Skim junkie

more pics of controller and some wet shots. the controller has touch sensor buttons (no click) and has a nice seal to it with sturdy rubberized finish on the back. Doesn't feel cheap like jecod/jebao or coralvu controller, and feels much more solid than even ecotech. It actually feels like a thick cell phone. Impressed!

BK 130 controller.jpg

BK 130-6.jpg

BK 130 pump hardware box.jpg

130 x dc cup view.jpg

130 x dc foam head.jpg

Last edited by reeftivo; 05/11/2020 at 05:49 PM.
Unread 05/11/2020, 05:40 PM   #3072
reeftivo
Skim junkie

last few pics. I'll do a review on it an the next coming weeks. Very quiet and skims very well.
130 xdc.jpg

130 x dc sump down veiw.jpg

130 x dc neck bubble view.jpg

130 x dc sump level.jpg

Unread 05/11/2020, 05:54 PM   #3073
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst View Post

its pulling out a ton of skimmate every week. the cup fills up completely every week, a total work horse.

This is an SPS tank, and my nutrients are actually okay, i added all the fish because my other tanks were all nutrient deprived. I am wondering if a BK250 is the right skimmer. I do have a BK300 just sitting around. The pump is older so it wasn't skimming as efficiently, perhaps I should buy a new pump and see if that drives the bk300 correctly?

Thoughts slief?

The 250 max handle is 550g with full sps. If your tank is 750 with sps then the 300 is a better fit. I have 600g full sps and my 250 is overwhelming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2020, 08:43 AM   #3074
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst View Post

Thoughts slief?

It really depends on what you think is a ton of fish. I wouldn’t normally recommend a 300 sized skimmer for anything under a 600 gallon display with a truly heavy load. A heavy load being 1/2” of fish per display gallon. That would be around 300” of fish. The BK’s are very conservatively rated. Especially the Supermarin’s and Deluxe skimmers. As such, quantifying your fish load would be helpful. From the sounds of it, your skimmer is performing very well and consistently. I’d think it’s not having an issue keeping up with your load. The upside to a larger skimmer may be emptying the cup less but not necessarily more dissolved organic removal.

Unread 05/21/2020, 09:12 PM   #3075
auntiecookie
Registered Member

I have a problem

I think 🤔 I have a problem!! I think it’s little to big 😂

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA8A946E-0F1E-45D8-AE02-2493B2D08E7D.jpg (103.0 KB, 29 views)
auntiecookie is offline   Reply With Quote