Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/18/2018, 07:50 PM   #1
DaveFe
Registered Member

Plumbing Question

I'm ignorant with plumbing, and I'm trying to figure out how to plumb my return to my tank.

My return pump needs a 3/4 male threaded connection for the return. The overflow pipe it's going to needs a 1 1/4 female thread. I was hoping to use vinyl tubing rather than hard plumbed PVC but my problem is how to adjust the size.

I'm thinking since the pump connection is 3/4 I should stick with that sizing but trying to find a connection that is female threaded and reduced from 1.25 to .75 is turning out to be very difficult. I can find plenty of male threaded reducers but no female ones. I've been looking at barbed fittings, been to lowes, home depot, BRS website can't find what I need.

Am I looking at this totally wrong, what does everyone think?

DaveFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 08:00 PM   #2
FirstContact
Registered Member

You will be able to reduce from 1 1/4 to 3/4 with pvc parts from Lowes or Home Depot. If you are looking for just one piece to reduce that much, that would be the issue. You will need a combination of pieces.

Current Tank Info: 120g Reef 100g Rubbermaid Sump, 20g Refugium; previous tank: 46g Drilled; Self Plumbed, Birds Nest, Anchor, Xenia, Zoas, Yuma Yuma Ricordea, Chalice, Mushrooms, Brain, Acan, Anenome Plate; Clams, Other Inverts, Fish, Live Rock
FirstContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 09:46 PM   #3
Lsufan
Registered Member

I like to use flex pvc instead of vinyl tubing. It isn’t as flexible but I find it to be flexible enough. U may find that u need to use 1 or 2 fittings being it isn’t as flexible. Say u have a 90 degree bend in the plumbing. U can’t bend the flex pvc that much but what u can do is use a 45 instead of a 90 & get the rest of the bend with the pipe. I don’t like barbed fittings & the flex pvc uses the same fittings & basically glues the same way as rigid pvc. It’s hard to say exactly without knowing more about your setup but I would probably just use a 3/4” X 1 1/4” bushing straight on the return pump & use 1 1/4” the entire way.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote