Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2014, 11:52 AM   #1
Sabres429
Registered Member

Thinking about getting the IM mini max reactor.

Definitely considering doing the Innovative Marine all in one Mini Max media reactor on my Nuvo 16. I'm most likely going to go with biopellets media wise.I do not have any skimmers or reactors on the tank yet and the only thing that is running on the tank is my return pump which is extremely quiet because the tank is in my bedroom. Anyone have any expierence with them? Are they quiet and do they producde micro bubbles?

Sabres429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2014, 02:38 PM   #2
Amatuer21
Registered Member

I have been running one with gfo in it. I have not had a problem with micro-bubbles. Its not silent but not loud either, usually just have to move the cord around to reduce vibration. Id say that its a good purchase for the price!

Current Tank Info: Waterbox
Amatuer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Endy0430
Registered Member

Been running one for about 8 months and they are excellent. No noise and no micro bubbles what so ever. Also as far as changing media is simple and clean.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 250 Reef Octo 110 SSS Apex Controller 2 Hydra's 26
Endy0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2014, 05:57 AM   #4
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

Great perchance for what it is. If your going to run BP in it look into getting a skimmer. Otherwise you will be dumping slim out of the back chambers of the tank. The BP feed bacteria this bacteria sluffs off of the pellets and should be removed from the water column. A skimmer will remove a lot of this left over slime. I have been running the taller aqua gadget skimmer for over a year now and enjoy its performance but would never use it in my bed room (that should dead noise) I made a better silencer and keep the air injection clean but it is the noisiest thing on the tank. When running with the air wide open and the highth set this skimmer pulls a lot of gunk!

Slow is smooth, smooth is steady, and steady is fast.

Current Tank Info: Enough to be considered an addict.
TundraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2015, 06:26 AM   #5
E.intheC
Registered Member

Did you end up picking this up? I like the design but have only read about a few user experiences with it.

Unread 01/19/2015, 10:32 AM   #6
Zwickm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres429 View Post
Definitely considering doing the Innovative Marine all in one Mini Max media reactor on my Nuvo 16. I'm most likely going to go with biopellets media wise.I do not have any skimmers or reactors on the tank yet and the only thing that is running on the tank is my return pump which is extremely quiet because the tank is in my bedroom. Anyone have any expierence with them? Are they quiet and do they producde micro bubbles?
I would recommend running half carbon half GFO in the reactor over biopellets. Carbon takes out a lot of the same organic waste that a skimmer does. GFO will keep nuisance algea in check.

Biopellets are not as effective as either at accomplishing this. You can use a piece of round foam (cut yourself) in the middle of the reactor to separate the carbon and GFO as they both have different lifespans and GFO should tumble while carbon should be packed.

Zwickm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2015, 12:07 PM   #7
ExpensiveHobby
Registered Member

I use the desktop size on my midsize tank. Its a nice reactor. I noticed a drastic decrease in glass algae about 10 days after installing with GFO

Unread 01/19/2015, 02:06 PM   #8
E.intheC
Registered Member

I've read mixed reviews on this. The main attraction of this reactor is that it's easy to clean and change the media. some are saying that you have to remove the entire reactor in order to change the media out, N did that's the case, I may as well buy a $35 reactor and save the money. The innovative marine reactor is smaller and looks better but it's significantly more expensive.

Unread 01/19/2015, 04:01 PM   #9
ExpensiveHobby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.intheC View Post
I've read mixed reviews on this. The main attraction of this reactor is that it's easy to clean and change the media. some are saying that you have to remove the entire reactor in order to change the media out, N did that's the case, I may as well buy a $35 reactor and save the money. The innovative marine reactor is smaller and looks better but it's significantly more expensive.
You do not have to remove the entire reactor to change the media. It couldn't be simpler.

Unread 01/19/2015, 04:20 PM   #10
E.intheC
Registered Member

That's what I like about it. I just read that after time the media gets stuck in the reactor itself and you can't just remove the inner chamber. Hopefully that's not the case and was an isolated incident because it's a great idea.

Unread 07/21/2016, 07:39 AM   #11
gmlee
Registered Member

Any other comments or experiences on these??

gmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2016, 10:54 AM   #12
crossi92
Registered Member

I have the Midsize in my IM 30L running carbon and love it. It's silent, no micro-bubbles and couldn't be easier to change media.

crossi92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 12:00 PM   #13
aiber
Registered Member

I am new to reactors and considering the IM. The question I have is where the the water come out of? The top? Wouldn't that be messy? More evaporation? Please advise.

Current Tank Info: 50 Gall. Cube Reef Tank
aiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 07:54 AM   #14
aiber
Registered Member

Bump

Unread 06/20/2018, 11:30 AM   #15
Saltyguys
Registered Member

The water exits below the waterline in your rear chamber so it is silent and causes no extra evaporation. I have been running GFO in my Nuvo 20 with the reactor for over three years with no problems at all. IMO you can not go wrong especially since you can get them now for $50.

Saltyguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2018, 11:58 AM   #16
aiber
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyguys View Post
The water exits below the waterline in your rear chamber so it is silent and causes no extra evaporation. I have been running GFO in my Nuvo 20 with the reactor for over three years with no problems at all. IMO you can not go wrong especially since you can get them now for $50.
Thanks but I am going to install it in my sump.