Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/04/2018, 12:27 AM   #1
zatch
Registered Member

zatch's IM custom 20g tech reef build

This is a thread I'm starting to chronicle my new 20gal Nano tank build!

I used to post here as zfriedrichs, but forgot my password and no longer use that old email - hence my new username zatch.

I have built several reef and planted nano tanks in the past, and now that I'm poised to reenter the hobby after a few years off, I want to build a nano tank for my new apartment that is:
  • Attractive/High Quality Appearance (going to be the focus of my living room)
  • Small >25gal (maximum allowed by my building -_-)
  • High Tech (to necessitate as low maintenance as possible - what drove me out of the hobby in the past!)

I decided to go with the following setup:

Tank/Cabinet
Innovative Marine NUVO Black 20 gallon aquarium
Innovative Marine AQUA Gadget Hydrofill Ti reservoir
Innovative Marine APS Cabinet Fusion 20 (black)

Filtration
Tunze Reefpack 250 (Comline DOC 9004 Skimmer / Comline Filter 3162)
Chemipure Elite

Lighting
Kessil A160W-E Tuna Blue

Other
Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite Kit
Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6015
Eheim Jäger Heater 50w

Rock/Sand
ThatFishPlace Tukani/Totoka Live Rock (20lb)
Caribsea Fiji Pink (30lb)

zatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 12:32 AM   #2
zatch
Registered Member

Ordered the Innovative Marine components from Marine Depot. Arrived extremely well packaged (inner box wrapped in a huge outer box filled with packing peanuts). Opted to go with the new APS aluminum cabinet because I could not find a suitable closed cabinet anywhere that fit the dimensions of the tank! It was expensive, but I pulled the trigger when Marine Depot had a flash sale...

The stand is easy to put together (think IKEA/Lego instructions) and took about 20min. Each piece comes with protective wrapping to prevent scratching - impressed with the quality of the stand!

Applying the leveling mat to the tank

Cabinet and Stand in Place

The IM topoff reservoir. Kinda irritating that it is about 1/2" too big to fit correctly in the cabinet. It has to be inserted sideways to fit (which takes up most of the room and makes the drawer impractical).

Unread 01/04/2018, 12:35 AM   #3
zatch
Registered Member

I used the Tunze Reef Pack 250 for filtration. Im not a huge fan of the AIO designs, and didn't want to loose so much tank space with the Nuvo 20 AIO - the Tunze option is a much smaller footprint and is 'rated' up to 60g. Also includes the Comline 9004 skimmer. I also liked the idea of the heater reservoir to keep the display tank clean. I found it for a crazy deal on clearance so I picked one up!

The thing that irked me about this setup is the filter. Tunze and Marine Depot market it as accepting 'up to a 75w' Jager heater, however only a 50w will fit in the holder. 50w is a little small for a 20g tank, I am hoping that it will be fine otherwise I will have to look at another solution...

Also, Tunze very poorly designed the heater reservoir in the first place - the water inlet for the heater compartment inside the filter is ABOVE the water line??? Which means that water doesn't have a way of exchanging the heater water with the rest of the water in the aquarium! Theres two tiny holes in the bottom for this. It is a thin plastic sleeve that slides into the back, so I just drilled some holes through it to allow water to flow and actually come into contact with the heater -_-

Also have the turbelle 6015 for water flow. All the Tunze magnets for the skimmer/filter/powerhead are VERY strong and top notch quality!

For a controller, I went with a Reefkeeper Lite kit. I drilled it into the aluminum frame in the door and the pillar on the top of the inside of the cabinet.

Unread 01/04/2018, 12:36 AM   #4
zatch
Registered Member

urchased the live rock from ThatFishPlace because it was the cheapest decent real live rock I could find. The dry rock or manufactured rock seems to be the way most people go now - but I wasn't comfortable with the dry rock potential phosphate leeching problems or the fake look of the manufactured rock. I didn't want a ton of rock - I want a lot of open space in this tank.

I was blown away with the quality of this rock from ThatFishPlace. I think I paid 80$ shipped for 16# 2day shipped - they sent me 22# of exactly what I asked for. Packaging was great (like live fish) and rock arrived in excellent condition. It has been cycling for about 3 weeks prior to this setup to clean out anything that may have still been on it (although it arrived well cured)!

Sand is 30# Caribsea Fiji Pink. Rock and sand are in tank (I'm sure ill change around the rock work later) and it is currently cycling!

Unread 05/28/2018, 02:57 PM   #5
savageAJC
Registered Member

Can't see any photos ��

savageAJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apartment, high tech, innovative marine, tunze, zatch