Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/04/2018, 08:36 PM   #1
ntropics
Registered Member

Kapoho Tide Pools...

I've looked at the latest lava flow map, and it appears that the Kapoho neighborhood as going, and the Kapoho Tide Pools may be gone. It was known as one of the best snorkeling spots in the world, and I can personally attest to that. I've been there several times, and feel it is a great loss to the snorkeling world. I hope that it will one day return to become a beautiful spot.

Bruce

Edit: It looks like Kapoho bay is where the lava entered, NOT the tide pools. If so, that's good. It's a great snorkeling place, and great for kids as well, since it's pretty protected. It's also probably the only spot on the east side of Hawaii island that has nice clear water with lots of fish to see. I even saw a sea turtle there last year.

Last edited by ntropics; 06/04/2018 at 09:35 PM.
ntropics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 06:06 PM   #2
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Just saw this on weather channel app. They are saying the bay is gone.

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2018, 08:01 PM   #3
ntropics
Registered Member

Yup. The tide pools are gone. Such a loss, not to diminish the loss of property as well.

Bruce

Unread 06/06/2018, 05:58 PM   #4
Larz_1
Registered Member

Oh man, That sux.

I loved that spot and was looking forward to spending more time there when we go back for my 50th birthday next summer ......

Current Tank Info: 120g Reef Tank
Larz_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2018, 07:50 PM   #5
ace_92101
Registered Member

I've dove up and down the leeward side of the Big Island, but never the windward side. What were the special features of Kapoho? Are there any other special snorkel locations near by?

ace_92101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2018, 09:58 PM   #6
ntropics
Registered Member

What is (was) special about the tide pools was that it was a protected area with relatively calm clear water, teeming with life. Not as dense with fish as by the Place of Refuge, but close. It was pretty much the best snorkel site on the east side. I saw sea turtles there, cleaner wrasses, and of course the typical Hawaiian fish: Naso tangs, black triggers, yellow tangs, four spot butterflies, tear drop butterflies, ornate butterflies, aurigas, long nose, and lots of them.
Unlike place of refuge, it was accessible via a short walk off the lave rock beach. Also, very rarely crowded. Just a great place.

Well, that's Hawaii.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg turtle.jpg (87.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg kapoho teardrop.jpg (93.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg convict fish.jpg (99.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg kapoho grouper.jpg (92.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg kapoho puffer.jpg (63.3 KB, 18 views)