Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/21/2018, 11:16 AM   #1
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

AM I cycling?

I haven't checked levels yet which I will today, but its been 2 wks.

I have LR live sand and have added Microbacter 7.. Do I need to introduce ammonia to the tank or do I just sit back and let it all figure itself out?

Still not adding fish for atleast another month

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 12:13 PM   #2
MarkW64
Registered Member

Do your tests and let us know the results -- that will take much of the guess work out our answers. (although it would have been much better to be testing already -- the "cycle" is a pattern we observe in ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate results -- so, harder to identify in a single set of results.) Also, was it actually "live" rock you started with? That is, already colonized by bacteria?

Unread 05/21/2018, 12:16 PM   #3
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW64 View Post
Do your tests and let us know the results -- that will take much of the guess work out our answers. (although it would have been much better to be testing already -- the "cycle" is a pattern we observe in ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate results -- so, harder to identify in a single set of results.) Also, was it actually "live" rock you started with? That is, already colonized by bacteria?
Yes Live Rock was added

Unread 05/21/2018, 12:44 PM   #4
allendehl
Registered Member

yeah, you should add some sort of ammonia or ammonia source to be able to interpret your test results.
I added a frozen shrimp on day one. I was able to see the ammonia spike for the next few days and then the spike in nitrites and nitrates. Once all is back to zero, except for nitrates your cycle is complete, large water change and you're good.
If you added live rock and MB7 more than likely your cycle is complete but you still need to test. You can also add pure ammonia but lookup the amount, make sure it does not contain detergent, as most do. Do a search and you'll fins out how to tell. That I did not do.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 12:46 PM   #5
MarkW64
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyrawg View Post
Yes Live Rock was added
If it is live rock, (and live sand), then there isn't any need to even add "bacteria in a bottle". You will only have a "cycle" if you have a bioload (or intentional addition of ammonia) which is greater than your bacterial population can quickly process. If there was any die-off on your rock or in your sand then you might have produced a cycle, but otherwise shouldn't have. You do not need to force a cycle when using live rock and sand. Although I've never needed to do it myself, others might recommend dosing some ammonia to test your biological filter.

Post those test results later and I'm sure you will get more specific answers.

Unread 05/21/2018, 07:42 PM   #6
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
If it is live rock, (and live sand), then there isn't any need to even add "bacteria in a bottle". You will only have a "cycle" if you have a bioload (or intentional addition of ammonia) which is greater than your bacterial population can quickly process. If there was any die-off on your rock or in your sand then you might have produced a cycle, but otherwise shouldn't have. You do not need to force a cycle when using live rock and sand. Although I've never needed to do it myself, others might recommend dosing some ammonia to test your biological filter.

Post those test results later and I'm sure you will get more specific answers.
here are my results
ammonia 0.50 nitrite 0 nitraye 10

Unread 05/22/2018, 06:53 AM   #7
MarkW64
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyrawg View Post
here are my results
ammonia 0.50 nitrite 0 nitraye 10
I don't really know what to think about those numbers -- it would be very helpful to know how they are trending. It seams strange to have ammonia and nitrate, but no nitrite. I don't know what the source of your ammonia is -- what kind of live rock/sand did you use? Did it appear to have a lot of life on it that could have died off? I'm also surprised your ammonia hasn't been processed if you used true live rock/sand AND added bacteria. I'm also wondering what water you used -- was it new, or could it have already had nitrates in it?

My advice is keep testing and see what happens -- you said you won't be adding fish for awhile anyhow.

Maybe others have more insight...

Unread 05/22/2018, 09:37 AM   #8
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't really know what to think about those numbers -- it would be very helpful to know how they are trending. It seams strange to have ammonia and nitrate, but no nitrite. I don't know what the source of your ammonia is -- what kind of live rock/sand did you use? Did it appear to have a lot of life on it that could have died off? I'm also surprised your ammonia hasn't been processed if you used true live rock/sand AND added bacteria. I'm also wondering what water you used -- was it new, or could it have already had nitrates in it?

My advice is keep testing and see what happens -- you said you won't be adding fish for awhile anyhow.

Maybe others have more insight...
Ya weird results right? I used red sea salt water from the LFS new, and all RODI water from LFS (although Ijust ordered my own rodi unit). Live rock is from Fiji i believe.. live sand was kinda dry when I opened bag (from online). I will test again.. I thought no nitrites result with ammonia present was odd also..

will check again end of day