Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/11/2018, 08:34 AM   #326
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbarocks2693 View Post
Really nice build
Thanks. More to come and I'm trying to get the final bits and pieces into place.

It's strange. I noticed I haven't been looking at the new tank at all (from front side). Like it doesn't exist.

Too busy on the back side and dealing with new fish.

I assume this is related to the fact that Tank is just a mishmash pile of rocks, and no corals.

Then I may start looking VERY CLOSELY again.

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 08:38 AM   #327
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
Also api general cure has less concentrated amount of Praziquantel which is found in PraziPro; use one of the other but not both. I’ve used api general cure successfully on several delicate wrasses as per the recommended dosing amounts (1 sachet per 10 gal)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Be careful with wrasse and Prazi Pro, it's slightly contested but there's a handful of people who will tell you it killed their wrasse and a handful who say it's just fine.

It killed my wrasse, and my friends wrasses. Dose light with wrasses and Prazi, and don't mix any meds with it unless you are POSITIVE there will be NO interaction (Prime is deadly when mixed with Prazi for example)
I am being careful. Certainly will NOT be mixing any MEDS.

Reading the brochures, I like the API product (1/2 packet for 5 Gallon) better for initial treatment (Transfer Tank) and understand that at end carbon should be run to remove/stop treatment.
It my case since this is not DT that will be easily, since I will be dumping the treated water.

The Prazi Product appears to be something use can use for ongoing treatment (in DT), however I will only treat Hospital/QT tanks. (In this case Frag Tank QT)

Unread 04/11/2018, 09:54 AM   #328
Rakie
In Memoriam

Dosing PraziPro is when I caught Dino's twice! Also, the problem with API is the prazi is in pill (powder) form, and is extremely hard to mix into the water column.

I wish prazi came in an edible form you could mix with food like metroplex

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 10:05 AM   #329
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Dosing PraziPro is when I caught Dino's twice! Also, the problem with API is the prazi is in pill (powder) form, and is extremely hard to mix into the water column.

I wish prazi came in an edible form you could mix with food like metroplex
That weird . Maybe I misunderstood, and you meant "PraziPro made you notice Dinos"
I can't see you getting Dino's from a Treatment. Many thing can trigger I dino Bloom.
Possibly your existing Dino's got fueled by the product, since Dino's are supposedly in everyone's tank but under control.

The API was easy. I mixed in a cup of RO water and just poured it into Tank.

Man...You are making me scared of PraziPro. I'd expect some warning labels on there if what you are saying is true.

Most important. I won't treat DT's with meds. That is only for QT and Hospitals.

Even the ZOE vitamins is something I am reading over. Sounds safe.
Actually sound very safe to not Cause Algae Blooms like other Vitamins can.

BUT MY NEW TANK (Additive Free. Only thing going in is Water, Salt, Alk, Calcium, maybe Mag, and fish food)

Unread 04/11/2018, 05:46 PM   #330
Wally.B
Registered Member

Things look REALLY GOOD for Copperband (Now Eatting Masstick Food SOAKED in KENT ZOE Vitamins)

The Copperband in Trasnfer Tank #3 has been nibbling on the Tigger Copeppods and Live Baby Brine Shrimps. (Day or so)

I thought I'd try the Masstic Feeder again.

This time I pre-soaked the Masstick with KEN ZOE Vitamins.

He went for it right away.

https://youtu.be/sq2slA3U2pI

And kept eating it all up. (As in the video above)

I read the ZOE label and you can add these vitamins to the Shrimp and Tiger Farm to increase their Consumption Value.

At this pace he is going to do well (API treatment/vitamins and No ICH), So will be really healthy to go into new Tank.

Unread 04/11/2018, 08:18 PM   #331
psidriven
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Everything is designed to reach via equipment Cord lengths, (so no extension cords from EB8, Probes, etc), PLUS easy to remove pump, heater, to clean and then put back.
Can you expand a little on what you mean by 'equipment cord lengths'? I'm trying to come up with a way to have hidden wires like you have, but still be able to remove pumps for maintenance without having to untangle the cords from the raceways.

thanks and great build thread!

Current Tank Info: 24 cube a go, baby walks
psidriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 10:20 PM   #332
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psidriven View Post
Can you expand a little on what you mean by 'equipment cord lengths'? I'm trying to come up with a way to have hidden wires like you have, but still be able to remove pumps for maintenance without having to untangle the cords from the raceways.

thanks and great build thread!
Sure, I will elaborate, since wiring management was one of my TOP GOALs after doing things kind of wrong last time. (Those raceways looked great, but only for a while...inside...Quickly got tangles and hard to pull stuff thru/out).
As you can see, I only did the Framing Raceway this time (around the Apex DISPLAY/SHELF AREA), and it's handy.
The more runs you have, the better you will have flexibility for the future.

So I assume you watched this VIDEO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk-nwY4v0go&t=7s
Where I show the openings (HOLE) in the Drywall, and how the Various WHITE PANELS were placed. THAT IS THE KEY CRTICAL DESIGN POINT (when I planned CORD LENGTHS).
So it's not that I cut my cord lengths.....It's that I did my placements based on CORD LENGTHS

....and the Length of EQUIPMENT cords are long enough to get from A-to-B without adding an Extension cord.....Since you can get to anyhere with extension cord, but that leads to open contacts. Possiby disconnect, and tangles, and cost of extension cord.

You want to place STUFF ON WALLS (EB8's, Control Boxes, etc) where your PLUGS will REACH the Thing you PLUG into it and WHERE THEY NEED TO BE in your TANK, or SUMP.

*BUT IF IN A ROOM like I did, spread out ** If you are doing inside a CABINET, then lengths are not so much an issue. (In cabinets, you have to bundle the cords tidy, since they are probably too long)

THE NEXT IMPORTANT PART is how those wires will RUN from POINT-A to POINT-B.

-> Some on Strict PATHS.
-> Some just behind Drwall (but go into Wall, and Come out somewhere ideal)

A few Examples below.

Some wire Runs are PERMANENT like your AUTO TOP UP. But still maybe one day you want to replaced or fix.

And others, removed often like Circulation Pumps which Calcify, or get dirty.

AGAIN. DO AS MANY HOLE (Hidden as you can), they are always Handy.

***** AND Make HOLES HANDY...Which mean make sure you can get your hand into some holes to get behind wall. (BIG ENOUGH HOLES) *****

Not all runs you will be able to do by hand reach. But a string, or fish wire, will work (Vertically)....Stiff wires (horizontally/Diagonally)

ANOTHER EXAMPLE of What I improved this time is SOME OPEN (but Hidden Pockets)

AND One thing which I think you problably noticed is the Few WHITE, RECTANCULR (Very HOLLOW CONDUITS). Great since my whole arm fits in.

NOTE (This is not final clean wiring):

I'm still running wires and hooking stuff up, so things are a bit messy, and when I'm done, I'll tuck everything away (not tangled....Using CLICK-RESUABLE Tie-Wraps, or Elastic Band)

HOPE THAT HELPS.

Share if you ever get some good work done and come up with new ideas. I to learn from others, as much as I like to share my ideas.

Last edited by Wally.B; 04/11/2018 at 10:32 PM.
Unread 04/11/2018, 10:48 PM   #333
psidriven
Registered Member

ah, gotcha. cord length determines controller placement, not vice versa. neat idea, but i feel it may be difficult to implement without a fish room.

thanks for the reply and keep up the good work. really enjoy the innovative ideas you're coming up with. especially the mini sub. now if those come with a harpoon function for catching crabs.....

Current Tank Info: 24 cube a go, baby walks
psidriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 11:13 PM   #334
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psidriven View Post
ah, gotcha. cord length determines controller placement, not vice versa. neat idea, but i feel it may be difficult to implement without a fish room.

thanks for the reply and keep up the good work. really enjoy the innovative ideas you're coming up with. especially the mini sub. now if those come with a harpoon function for catching crabs.....
Here you go.

https://www.zapals.com/silverlit-824...CABEgJ9GfD_BwE

Too expensive Sub I found when I was looking for the toy sub, but might work for getting crabs. My emerald crabs latch on the thongs I use to feed them Nori. I have to shake them off.

BTW. I only used one sub. Few minutes. Rinsed and dried it and returned it, since kids lost interest quickly. No way I was going to put batteries and metal in the Reef Tank.

Unread 04/12/2018, 06:16 AM   #335
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Things look REALLY GOOD for Copperband (Now Eatting Masstick Food SOAKED in KENT ZOE Vitamins)

The Copperband in Trasnfer Tank #3 has been nibbling on the Tigger Copeppods and Live Baby Brine Shrimps. (Day or so)

I thought I'd try the Masstic Feeder again.

This time I pre-soaked the Masstick with KEN ZOE Vitamins.

He went for it right away.

https://youtu.be/sq2slA3U2pI

And kept eating it all up. (As in the video above)

I read the ZOE label and you can add these vitamins to the Shrimp and Tiger Farm to increase their Consumption Value.

At this pace he is going to do well (API treatment/vitamins and No ICH), So will be really healthy to go into new Tank.

Go copper go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2018, 10:18 AM   #336
Wally.B
Registered Member

You got check this out.

Australian Turtle going Extinct. Mohawk Algae Growing on head, Butt Breather
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/12/asia/...ntl/index.html

Interesting that this turtle can breathe thru it's butt glands and can stay under water for days, so Algae Grows on it's head.

Unread 04/12/2018, 08:06 PM   #337
Wally.B
Registered Member

FATHEAD Suburst Anthias (Is here) Nice Fish. Really Feisty.

So you don't get many Fish Store that Deliver to your house. CoralReefShop owner Red dropped by my house to delivery the Fathead Anthias, and two Pepermints for my Kitchen tank. He got a tour of the new Build while here.

Color of this Sunburst Anthias is pretty spectacular.

I got the medium one, there is a smaller and one larger left.

This Anthias is quite different from the last ones. Not as fragile. Seem to be feisty like a Blue Green Chromis type fish.

Red says he already eats Frozen, and might be pecking at flake.

Unread 04/13/2018, 08:46 AM   #338
Wally.B
Registered Member

DECISION DAY (End of Tank Transfers for Copperband) Many OPTIONS (New Sunburts Anthias Future [A PAIR?])

So tonight 2AM will be 72 Hours of Tank Transfer #3 for Copperband.
He is doing amazing. NO ICH. Eatting Masstick like a PIG (all I give him). Also pecking around at Copepods and Live Brine Shrimps.

I no longer have option for Tank Trasfer #4 (10 Gal) since the new Sunburst Anthias is there.

OPTIONS for COPPERBAND:

-> Move to NEW Tank [DT area]........ (Not ready. Rockscape not done)
-> Move to NEW TANK [Refuge in Sump].....Perfect place since full of life and great way to isolate in new Tank (STill Rockscape ready)

-> Move to QT (Frag Tank) with Tri Color Wrasse/BlackCap Fish.....No issues with Fish, and That QT is very stable (Buys me time for all move to NEW TANK)

So I am thinking about the NEW Sunburst ANTHIAS (After more reading).
-> Would be cool to have a pair (male/female)
-> Could get a 2nd one (the larger or smaller one)
-> Risk is I get two males
-> Maybe just one Anthias is good enough (They are hard to keep, and need lost of feeding)
-> Understand that Suburst won't get along with any other Anthias (so all anthias should go in all at once)
-> Another factor is the Sunburst could be bullied by my Larger SPOTBREAST ANGEL (which keeps my Firefly golby in a hole)

-> One OPtion is I get rid of Spotbreast Angel in NEW TANK, and bring in all community type fish (Tri-Color Wrasse, BlackCap)
(option A)-------> Move him to Kitchen tank (after PolyLab Medic ICH treatment)

(Option B)-------> in Meantime throw him into QT Frag Tank (and see how he get's along with Copperband, Wrasse and BlackCap)
---------------------------> This will give me chance to see new TANK behavior without Angel (maybe Firefly will come out)
---------------------------> this will give me chance to eventually introduce Sunburt(s) into Frag TANK QT (with the Spotbreast and all new fish together) and pick winners for NEW TANK.

SO my NEXT EFFORT (after finding a place for Copperband) should be to work on NEW TANK Rockscape and make it full or cave, overhangs, nooks and crannies to create plenty of spaces, for a community tank.

Last edited by Wally.B; 04/13/2018 at 08:51 AM.
Unread 04/13/2018, 09:11 AM   #339
Wally.B
Registered Member

Fathead Sunburst Anthias Fish (Day 1 QT) Setup

The new Fathead is doing well.

Make a new QT setup for him. (The SpongeBob house fits perfectly into the Color Décor)

-> I started API General Cure

-> One Live Rock from DT Refuge
-> Sterilized "Rakie Tree of life".....Looks different since I bleached it (then soaked in RO to remove bleach)
-> Matrix in the Bio Filter along with one Dose of Sechem Stablity
-> Seeded the QT tank with Live Food
------> Tiger Copepods (Scoop full from Farm)
------> (Dozens of) Live Baby Brines (Feed with PhytoFeast, and Zoe Vitamins)
--------------> They get all big after a few days in cultivating Jar.
------> Added PhytoFeast to get them fed

HE TOOK to live feeding right way.

Last night me did eat Frozen Food, but not Flake.

SO FAR SO GOOD (compared toe last Anthias that died after barely a day)

Unread 04/13/2018, 09:17 AM   #340
Wally.B
Registered Member

GREAT!! NEWS (Copperband now eating Suspended Frozen Food)

Unread 04/13/2018, 09:35 AM   #341
Rakie
In Memoriam

Good news on the copperband and the Sunburst! As time goes on, my sunburst is getting more and more picky. It's almost becoming worrisome.

Unread 04/13/2018, 09:47 AM   #342
Wally.B
Registered Member

Say hello to (Sunburst Bob)

He found his new Man Cave quickly.

Unread 04/13/2018, 12:14 PM   #343
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Good news on the copperband and the Sunburst! As time goes on, my sunburst is getting more and more picky. It's almost becoming worrisome.
Picky like not eating all foods? or Picking on other fish?

I need to know, since if a possible mean fish, maybe Angel stays to keep Sunburst under control.

Unread 04/13/2018, 02:26 PM   #344
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Say hello to (Sunburst Bob)

He found his new Man Cave quickly.

Bob seems like a great fish, congrats!
Also, thanks for your help with the emergency tank leveling today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 04:03 PM   #345
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Picky like not eating all foods? or Picking on other fish?

I need to know, since if a possible mean fish, maybe Angel stays to keep Sunburst under control.
Picky as in what he eats. He's a pretty relaxed fish unless you wander into his little territory, but that's normal for all fish. Even my firefish chases my yellow assessor out of her rock.

I've been told this anthias has a deceptively small mouth, which is why you'll see some fish grab food, spit it out, and grab it again over and over.

Mine seems to only eat ONE particular type of food from LRS (LRS is a mix of bass, squid, oyster, etc etc etc) and the perfect sized mini mysis.

He stopped eating Roe, he won't eat fine powdery foods anymore (he used to love BRS reef chili), he ignores brine, he ignores all pellets and flake foods, he ignores every other type of food I've tried.

I'm at the point where I feel the need to fatten him up with phytoplankton, pods, or maybe some live foods.

Unread 04/13/2018, 04:36 PM   #346
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice fish Wally!
I want one.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 04:57 PM   #347
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Nice fish Wally!
I want one.
Two more available, however I am leaning toward just being happy with one.

Hey, you have some amazing fish in your tank. I'm nowhere close especially since you know I love schools, and you have a University in your tank.

Unread 04/13/2018, 05:03 PM   #348
Wally.B
Registered Member

Copperband ICH TTM (Completed) All Healthy [Moved into FRAG TANK QT, Not DT System Yet]

He is such a Gentle fish.

For the first time EVER, I scooped him out by hand (No NET).

I took some HI-RES Photo's of both his sides. With Flash on. (Inspected Photos before Decision)

I see a healthy, NO ich Fish (that is eating Live and Frozen Food)

SO HE GOES INTO FRAG TANK (QT) with the Black Capped Basslet and Tri Color Wrasse

They all eat Frozen, and I will use the MAastick Feeder for Copperband.

Will also seed the Tank with Tiggers, and Baby Brine Shrimp (live food)

Unread 04/13/2018, 08:48 PM   #349
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Will also seed the Tank with Tiggers, and Baby Brine Shrimp (live food)
I just did, the all 3 fish are on a GOING BONKERS Feeding Frenzy

It's kind of funny seeing them all darting around and chasing Invisible food

Unread 04/13/2018, 08:51 PM   #350
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
He stopped eating Roe, he won't eat fine powdery foods anymore (he used to love BRS reef chili), he ignores brine, he ignores all pellets and flake foods, he ignores every other type of food I've tried.
I have Some Reef Chili. Will try some and let you know.

So he might eat powder food. Ok for the QT but, but nowhere else.

Have Almost full bottle of BRS Chilli since I stopped/Promised I won't feed Corals anymore . (At least in new tank Once the 2nd Genesis Sequence is initiated [Living Corals] ).