Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2006, 01:50 PM   #1
gohan3
Registered Member

Catch my own fish

I live in Hawaii about 500 ft from the ocean. I see all kinds of fish and other creatures out there. It is not one of the protected areas like some of the beaches around that are sanctuaries for the fish. Is there a problem with catching my own fish from the ocean or is there a major risk of disease?

gohan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2006, 02:19 PM   #2
kraze3
Registered Member

I have read other threads on people collecting their own fish, LR, etc. As long as you arent breaking any laws you should be fine. I would still QT for 4 weeks before adding to my main tank. I would also research anything I was trying to catch so that you know how to properly care for it when you do bring it home

kraze3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2006, 02:48 PM   #3
rustybucket145
Registered Member

Be sure to check with the Hawaii DNR I'm sure there are collecting regulations. You probably need to have a fishing license also. Good luck.

Current Tank Info: 2 175w MH, 2 VH0 Actinics, Lots of Live Rock, tons of copepods, a Fat Mandarin Goby, Niger Trigger, Yellow Tang, Falco Hawkfish, Bi-Color Pseudo, numerous soft, SPS and LPS Corals
rustybucket145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2006, 03:28 PM   #4
gohan3
Registered Member

Yes, the DNR says there is an Aquarium Permit - required for any person to use fine mesh net for collecting aquatic life for an aquarium. There is no fee and there are no license needed for saltwater fishing as long as you follow correct sizes and it is not for commercial use.

I just didn't know if there was more potential for infected fish from the ocean versus a LFS. I will QT any that I catch Thanks for your help.

gohan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2006, 03:36 PM   #5
kraze3
Registered Member

Personally I dont think you have any potential of collecting fish worse than some of the onesive seen at petcos. Use your QT, observe your fish and you shouldnt have any problems. GL

kraze3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2006, 03:46 PM   #6
jgoodrich71
Premium Member

Always quarantine new fish, but catching them yourself will mean they haven't gone threw the stresses of holding and shipping. Therefore, less likely to have diseases.

jgoodrich71 is offline   Reply With Quote