Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2018, 03:46 PM   #1
Aquavaj
Registered Member

Wood thickness for tank riser

I have a prefab stand that is a little too short. I'd like to raise it atleast 6", maybe even 8. I'm thinking of constructing a riser using 1x6 or 1x8 for the sides, front and another in the middle---> |_|_|. Rear is open to save on having to buy 2 boards. Top will be 1/2 plywood. Would this be strong enough to hold up a filled tank (~32g), stand (35lbs, lights...etc?

Aquavaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2018, 10:01 PM   #2
Lsufan
Registered Member

I would place a board in the back. More then anything it will help keep everything square & from twisting. The 1X material will be plenty strong but if they start twisting that wouldn’t be good. So basically a square or rectangle box.

Last edited by Lsufan; 05/25/2018 at 04:33 PM.
Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 05:55 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

You just need 4 boards and a top of plywood..
Make a box with the wood.. slap on a top..

To save money don't use 1x material.. use 2x6 or 2x8.. Its cheaper..

Unread 05/23/2018, 08:12 AM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

I agree, 2x, just easier and will sit more solid

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 08:19 AM   #5
Aquavaj
Registered Member

I rarely if ever buy lumber so I just assumed 2x would be much more expensive but to my surprise a 10ft plank of 2x8 was only $10. A 8ft 1x6 was already $17. No brainer on which one to go with. The added thickness makes it so much more stable. I can stand and rock slightly and not topple over without even screwing it all together yet.

Aquavaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2018, 04:30 PM   #6
Lsufan
Registered Member

If u are not worried about how it looks then I agree, just use 2X material. If u want it to look nice painted or stained then u have more options in 1X materials. Even the big box stores sell select pine that comes primed or unprimed, cedar & oak that takes whatever finish coat u choose. If u use 2X u will have to wrap it with something to get a good finish, which seems like a waist for such a small tank being u can just make the box out of a material that u can finish.

So I would say it comes down to how u want it to look. If looks aren’t a issue just use 2X, if u want it to look nice build the box out of 1X material to match the rest of the stand.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote