Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2018, 01:33 PM   #1
steallife904
Registered Member

Moving tank so redoing some stuff

Hey Guys, I haven't been on in a while. Between having a baby and building a home my tank took a hit. I wouldn't say I lost interest but had a lot going on and it went down hill. After I lost some corals I got rid of pretty much everything else so now its just fish and live rock. I will finally be moving into my new house in about 4 weeks and decided there where a few things I may change. One is the doser, I have a jebao DP4 that I don't think I will use for a long time since no coal now so considering letting it go. Anyone see a reason to keep? I also run and LED and retro T5 setup (reefbreeder LED and T5 retro kit) but I only ever turned the T5s on for an hour or so mid day, if I ever ran longer I started to run into problems like burning/bleaching and could never find the right LED power % to go with the T5s to make everything happy. Kinda considering just sticking with LEDS and dropping T5s???

My biggest fix though is my plumbing. I have a PVC hard plumbed tank but found out after some time I might not have done it efficiently. I rigged in a UV sterilizer at one point but its not in a good easy place to maintence it and I need one of my drain lines (have 2) to have more angle to it to help the flow and drain noise (did 90 degree elbow instead of a couple 45s). When I move it can I just pvc bond new pipe to a new drain. slap it in and fill with water??? When I originally did this tank I had time to glue it and wait a day for it to dry and all then move into place, this time I wont have the time. I am having a LFS move the tank for me so will need to put it into its spot and setup quickly and put fish back in... will I have time to change the plumbing?

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2018, 01:47 PM   #2
JTL
Registered Member

PVC glue doesn't need to cure more than a couple of minutes.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2018, 05:02 PM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

DO NOT fudge on the plumbing. Do it right the 1st time!

Unread 05/23/2018, 11:19 AM   #4
steallife904
Registered Member

i see both of you are using reef breeders LEDS. All going well using them on there own? I have been thinking of just running my reefbreeder and removing the T5. T5 only ran for an hour or so, never really sure if it made a difference or not, plus i have it all in a hood with the T5s toward the front. It caused me to have to push the LED toward the back so it is not centered (its toward back but tilted to aim the light more toward the front but think it would be better in the middle. the added T5 was only there to assist with SPS back in the day but think i am going to go more LPS this time.

Unread 05/23/2018, 11:47 AM   #5
JTL
Registered Member

I like my RB led light. I have excellent coverage because I have a 4' fixture on a 4' tank that is 2' front to back. I recently got the new controller that allows for a very gradual ramp up and ramp down.

Unread 05/23/2018, 02:28 PM   #6
homer1475
Registered Member

If it were me(and I've used the RB lights) I would dump the LED and just use the T5's. If you plan on adding coral later, the T5's would be plenty.

I dumped LED's just because I could never get them set where everything was happy. Switched out to T5's and everything is happy and growing. T5's are so simple, just on and off. Nothing to play with which sometimes freaks out the corals because with most people they see a sulking coral and adjust the light. Corals like stability and constantly messing with percentages or colors is not stability.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 04:47 PM   #7
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I have no problems with the RB lights. I have 2- 32" over a 6' tank.
Par is much better than previous fixture, & NOT a cheap one either.

Unread 05/24/2018, 08:29 AM   #8
steallife904
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL View Post
I like my RB led light. I have excellent coverage because I have a 4' fixture on a 4' tank that is 2' front to back. I recently got the new controller that allows for a very gradual ramp up and ramp down.
I forgot which RB LED I had until last night but I actually have the 50 V2. Now I am curious about the new controller. What is the benefit???

Unread 05/24/2018, 08:49 AM   #9
JTL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steallife904 View Post
I forgot which RB LED I had until last night but I actually have the 50 V2. Now I am curious about the new controller. What is the benefit???
As you know the controller for the V2 changes your settings all at once which is very noticeable. The V2+ takes the setting and ramps it up in 10% increments making it very smooth, like the sun rising and setting. I also has a lighting feature if you are into that.