Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 05/28/2006, 06:46 AM   #726
Grand Wazoo
Registered Member

I just did a google search for reef bugs--they look like Amphipods, I think.

Unread 05/28/2006, 06:57 AM   #727
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand Wazoo
Set the trap last night--got nothing. I did some viewing in the dark with a flashlight at my tank--I was shocked!!!! There are litterally hundreds of these little tiny gray things that have lots of legs and both sides of there body. They run around the rocks like madmen. They walk--don't swim. In the 3 months this tank has been runnung I've never ever seen these things before. Where do they all go in the daytime? I mean there are lots and lots.

Amazing--

What are they? Are they safe? Seems like the tank is infested with bugs.
They're probably pods. Safe. Here's a picture I took one night of them all over my chili coral:

Current Tank Info: spectator
Unread 05/28/2006, 06:58 AM   #728
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
I just did a google search for reef bugs--they look like Amphipods, I think.
Duh...now I see this.

Unread 05/28/2006, 08:11 AM   #729
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
How do I know the good ones from the bad ones?

Do I just lay the trap on it's side or do I stand it up?
I just lay mine on its side with the opening facing some flow (that will carry swimming isopods towards the opening).

Dennis,

I saw a newspaper article online where people had found what appeared to be a perfectly healthy adult shark floating dead in the water. So they did an autopsy and the shark's heart and a couple other internal organs were completely covered and mostly eaten by Cirolanids (or possibly they were Aegids). I can't find the link now, but sure was a creepy feeling reading that.

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 05/28/2006, 11:19 AM   #730
Grand Wazoo
Registered Member

Pat--yes, they look like that with lots-o-legs on both sides and they scurry fast.

Brian--thanks. I'll try on it's side tonight against flow.

Unread 05/28/2006, 06:19 PM   #731
drk70
Premium Member

I have lots of those too. They look like a bunch of fleas on the rocks.

Well, I got $84 in store credit today for my xenia. Not bad for 11 small frags. The guy there was telling me they have been having problems lately keeping the xenia. He said they recently put a phosban reactor or something to that effect to remove phosphates and that is about when they started having problems with them. He is thinking that xenia need some phosphate to flourish and that could be why they grow so fast in my tank because I have never been able to get my phosphates down to zero. I have a place where I took the xenia off my rocks last weekend and there was some flesh still left on the rock. I can see already some small buds where they will start growing again.

Grand Wazoo - If the shipping wasn't so expensive and packing the xenia up wasn't such a PITA I would send some.

Brian - The shark they took this off of was some type of horn shark and it was in an area that was severely over fished and this was the only shark that could be found in the area.

BTW I also got a blackray shrimp goby (antenna goby as the LFS called it) to give my candy cane pistol some company. We left for a few hours and he has already found his new home with the pistol.

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 05/29/2006, 08:28 AM   #732
jallen1964
Registered Member

I did a couple of parameter tests yesterday and everything was good except calcium. It was over 600. Is that a problem and if so how can I correct it.

John

Current Tank Info: 130gal. TBS
Unread 05/29/2006, 12:15 PM   #733
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

For those interested I made up a batch of Reef Crystals yesterday:

pH: 7.9 (pH is always low in my house, high CO2)
Temp: 27.3 C
Salinity: 1.027
Ca: 420ppm
Alk: 10.8 dKH
Mg: 1320-1340ppm
PO4: 0 (looked very clear)

So at least with this batch the phosphate is zero. Actually pretty good numbers for a salt mix! I'm doing a water change today with 70% Kent, 30% Reef Crystals.

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 05/29/2006, 12:17 PM   #734
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jallen1964
I did a couple of parameter tests yesterday and everything was good except calcium. It was over 600. Is that a problem and if so how can I correct it.

John
Let me guess, Oceanic salt? A value of 600ppm Calcium is not the best for your tank, makes it difficult to balance Alkalinity.

Brian

Unread 05/29/2006, 12:34 PM   #735
jallen1964
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CirolanidHunter
Let me guess, Oceanic salt? A value of 600ppm Calcium is not the best for your tank, makes it difficult to balance Alkalinity.

Brian
Kent sea salt. My kalk and alk are both in the normal range. Is there any other problem high calcium con pose. My new rock has only been in a week and I can already see some purple coloration

John

Unread 05/30/2006, 06:53 AM   #736
bobt2
Registered Member

boy did i get a scare this weekend. he tank was crystal clear before dinner and after dinner i couldn't see into the tank,the water looked like milk. i finally found the cause. the flower anenome deceided the release spawn. scared the s--- out of me! did a water change and new carbon and this morning back to normal. got to find a less stressful hobby!

Unread 05/30/2006, 06:58 AM   #737
jallen1964
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
boy did i get a scare this weekend. he tank was crystal clear before dinner and after dinner i couldn't see into the tank,the water looked like milk. i finally found the cause. the flower anenome deceided the release spawn. scared the s--- out of me! did a water change and new carbon and this morning back to normal. got to find a less stressful hobby!
I witnessed my flower doing the same thing over the weekend. It looked very cool. I have a 130gal. so it didn't change the color of my water. What do you feed your flower and how often do you feed it?

John

Unread 05/30/2006, 07:09 AM   #738
drk70
Premium Member

I used to feed my flower anenome a piece of silverside once a week but now I don't give it anything.

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 05/30/2006, 07:14 AM   #739
jallen1964
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
I used to feed my flower anenome a piece of silverside once a week but now I don't give it anything.
Why did you stop feeding it?

Unread 05/30/2006, 07:19 AM   #740
bkelley02
Premium Member

My Flower Anemone just took out my Powder Blue tang this past week. Fish was swimming around fine, eating good the night before, next day it appear a bit stunned and swam too slowly, too closely to the Flower. BANG!! Wrapped around the back half of the tang quicker then I thought it could move. Good bye sweet tang.

Unread 05/30/2006, 07:20 AM   #741
drk70
Premium Member

It has gotten too big so I let it get whatever it can on its own. I would prefer to get it out but so far I haven't figures out how I'm going to do it.

Unread 05/30/2006, 07:20 AM   #742
drk70
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
My Flower Anemone just took out my Powder Blue tang this past week. Fish was swimming around fine, eating good the night before, next day it appear a bit stunned and swam too slowly, too closely to the Flower. BANG!! Wrapped around the back half of the tang quicker then I thought it could move. Good bye sweet tang.

Unread 05/30/2006, 07:25 AM   #743
bkelley02
Premium Member

It's all I could think of.

It's time is coming though. I feel the need for an upgrade and the anemone will be taking a short ride to the local pet store.

Unread 05/30/2006, 07:28 AM   #744
patsan
Premium Member

That stinks Brian.
What does everyone's flower anemones look like?
Mine was a pretty white when I first got it, but it got rather ugly looking....it got a lot of brown on it. The brighness of the white also faded.

Unread 05/30/2006, 07:37 AM   #745
jallen1964
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
Sorry to hear that. I have no fish in my tank yet, but I would be extemely displeased to lose an expensive speciman like that.

Dennis, you should be able to peel the flower off if you want it out.

John

Unread 05/30/2006, 07:40 AM   #746
drk70
Premium Member

If I can get mine out that is where it will go too! Of course they won't give me anything for it but they will take it.

Mine isn't tooo bad but it is too big. It covers up about 8" of the bottom of my tank. Mine has a green color to it and has some white tenticles mixed in.

Unread 05/30/2006, 07:41 AM   #747
jallen1964
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
That stinks Brian.
What does everyone's flower anemones look like?
Mine was a pretty white when I first got it, but it got rather ugly looking....it got a lot of brown on it. The brighness of the white also faded.
Mine is still white, but if it kills my fish, I'm not sure what color it will be

John

Unread 05/30/2006, 07:41 AM   #748
drk70
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jallen1964
Dennis, you should be able to peel the flower off if you want it out.

John
No can do. It's foot is way under a rock that is on the bottom.

Unread 05/30/2006, 07:46 AM   #749
jallen1964
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
No can do. It's foot is way under a rock that is on the bottom.
I see. Mine is currenty at the top of the tank. It would be easily removed if I had to.

Unread 05/30/2006, 07:49 AM   #750
patsan
Premium Member

I just snapped a picture of mine. You can see the ugly brown in it. Too bad I just fed the tank.....I couldn't get a clear shot:

Closed Thread