Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/05/2019, 07:26 PM   #1
bullock111
Registered Member

ro/di

Really newb question. How do I tell when my filters in the ro/di unit need changed?

bullock111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2019, 07:50 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

The DI cartridge (if there is one) should be replaced when the TDS starts rising. The other canisters generally should be replaced every 6 months or so. I'd check the before and after TDS from the membrane now and then. That's the only practical way to check how well it's doing.

Unread 01/05/2019, 09:38 PM   #3
bullock111
Registered Member

I am at 0 tds but the sediment filter just looks really dirty. I am on a well

bullock111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2019, 10:05 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

Hmm, you can track the rate of water production. Once that starts dropping, the cartridges are plugged. I might replace the sediment filter now, just on general principles, and watch the output rate in the future.

Unread 01/06/2019, 05:46 AM   #5
mann1139
Registered Member

I am also going from well->DI ,and I can tell you it is sometimes a chore.

I have 2 sediment filters for that purpose.That helps the sediment filter from clogging too quickly.

If you think it is clogged, turn the water off, unhook the tubing from the next stage and then turn the water on and see how much flows.

Turn the water off, remove the sediment filter, and see what the flow is. If it is reduced, change the filter.

mann1139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2019, 06:22 PM   #6
outssider
Registered Member

sediment filters are cheap....if it looks bad...change it....maybe buy by the dozen/case....At least you don't have to fuss with the carbons much....being on a well there isn't going to be chlorine/chloramine to worry about....

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2019, 10:30 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

I'm not sure how bad the filters are, but using two sediment filters might be a good idea if the water has a large amount of particulates. Usually, the carbon phase does second duty, but some situations require another approach. A vendor might be able to help you.

Unread 01/11/2019, 09:06 AM   #8
Adamantium
Registered Member

Get a pressure gauge after your sediment filter. When that starts dropping, it's probably time to replace it.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2019, 02:41 PM   #9
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock111 View Post
I am at 0 tds but the sediment filter just looks really dirty. I am on a well
If you are on a well you will likely burn through DI resin. It is a result of high CO2 in well water. I degass my well water and improved from the DI resin life from 4 months to 14 months.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote