Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2019, 08:53 AM   #1
gareth.hubbarde
Registered Member

Flashing wrasse

Ok so I'm slowly gathering all the information I need to finish stocking my fowlr tank. The fish below are in already with the intention of adding, in this order over a couple of months :

1 Blue spotted puffer
1 Bartlett anthia
1 longnose hawk
3 flasher wrasse
1 coral beauty

First up are there any issues with that list an secondly the wrasse are probably going to be carpenters or mcklosker. I'm going for 3 as apparently they do better in groups. Anyone got alternatives if they forsee a problem?

New aquarium

300l juwel rio
40kg sand
40kg live rock
Tmc v2 skim 500 compact hob skimmer
1000lph filter pump
Filter floss
Carbon
2 x 2800 lph circulation pumps (fluval sea 3, hydor koralia 3200)

1 black sailfin blenny
1 purple firefish
1 one spot Foxface
2 percula clowns (pair)
1 strawberry conch
5 nassarius snails

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

gareth.hubbarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2019, 10:02 AM   #2
HumbleFish
Moved On

The Blue Spotted Puffer will likely eat your snails & conch, and they sometimes harass smaller fish.

I would actually do 3 Bartlett's Anthias (all females), and a single Carpenter's or McCosker's flasher wrasse.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2019, 10:12 AM   #3
gareth.hubbarde
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
The Blue Spotted Puffer will likely eat your snails & conch, and they sometimes harass smaller fish.

I would actually do 3 Bartlett's Anthias (all females), and a single Carpenter's or McCosker's flasher wrasse.
Wasn't sure I had the tank size for 3 anthias hence just the one. Also if chose not to go for the puffer could you recommend a different stand out fish that coukd take its place please?

Unread 04/24/2019, 10:31 AM   #4
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth.hubbarde View Post
Wasn't sure I had the tank size for 3 anthias hence just the one. Also if chose not to go for the puffer could you recommend a different stand out fish that coukd take its place please?
Bartlett's only grow to around 3" so you are fine with 3 of those in a 300L (80 gallon) aquarium.

Instead of the puffer, you could go with a smaller tang from the Ctenochaetus genus: Kole, Tomini or Two Spot Bristletooth. Those are all "snail safe".

Or certain butterflyfish are coral/invert friendly: "Pyramid Butterflies" from the Hemitaurichthys genus or Schooling Bannerfish (must be Heniochus diphreutes).

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2019, 05:21 AM   #5
gareth.hubbarde
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
Bartlett's only grow to around 3" so you are fine with 3 of those in a 300L (80 gallon) aquarium.

Instead of the puffer, you could go with a smaller tang from the Ctenochaetus genus: Kole, Tomini or Two Spot Bristletooth. Those are all "snail safe".

Or certain butterflyfish are coral/invert friendly: "Pyramid Butterflies" from the Hemitaurichthys genus or Schooling Bannerfish (must be Heniochus diphreutes).
Hi, decided to switch from puffer and today reserved a kole tang from Lfs. Decided it would be a better looking tank with snails and a few shrimp in. Thanks.

Unread 04/25/2019, 05:24 AM   #6
gareth.hubbarde
Registered Member

Updated future fish list

1 kole tang
1 longnose hawk
1 Bartletts anthia
1 wrasse
1 coral beauty or red striped angel

With additional shrimp, might try for 2 cleaner and a boxer.