Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/03/2016, 02:29 PM   #1
Seahorse.Lover
Registered Member

Filtration

What type of filter do I need for a seahorse aquarium? And along with a filter do I need a powerhead?

Are both needed? Does that account for water flow?

Also what is an air pump? Do I need that?

Last edited by Seahorse.Lover; 02/03/2016 at 03:07 PM.
Seahorse.Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 06:23 PM   #2
Jeff4777
Registered Member

Any filter could work. Just make sure its over powered as seahorses sure can dirty up a tank. If your horses are small make sure the intakes are wrapped/safe. I use a power head + flow from filtration system. You don't need a air pump in a typical setup as your skimmer should be oxygenating the water fine.

How big is your tank?
Do you have a sump or only wanting hang on the back equipment?
What type of sea horse do you want?
Have you had a salt water tank before?

Last edited by Jeff4777; 02/03/2016 at 06:29 PM.
Jeff4777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 07:19 PM   #3
Seahorse.Lover
Registered Member

I have never had one before. Always wanted one.. have researched lots. The whole filtration and water flow is what confuses me. I think I want hang on the back equipment.
I plan on getting a 36 G tank. I just want to know everything I can before starting one. I am looking at either H. erectus or H. reidi.

Unread 02/03/2016, 09:27 PM   #4
Jeff4777
Registered Member

Nice. Researching is important and take things slow. 36 gallons is a nice size for a pair of horses. Both the erectus and reidi are good choices. Just make sure your filtration and skimmer are strong. Clean media often and do water changes. Maintain 68-75 °F to avoid bacterial infections. Buy captive bred seahorses and feed mysis shrimp. Maintain your salinity by keeping the tank top offed with fresh water.

Jeff4777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2016, 07:52 PM   #5
Seahorse.Lover
Registered Member

I've been seeing a 47G column tank that is 30"H that many people use for their seahorses. But I cannot find a tank like this anywhere. Any suggestions?

Unread 02/08/2016, 06:25 PM   #6
Seahorse.Lover
Registered Member

Would a Marineland Penguin 200 Bio-Wheel Filter be sufficient for a 38 G tank if I have live rock also? And a protein skimmer

Unread 02/08/2016, 10:04 PM   #7
rayjay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse.Lover View Post
Would a Marineland Penguin 200 Bio-Wheel Filter be sufficient for a 38 G tank if I have live rock also? And a protein skimmer
I personally don't use any HOB filtration. I prefer filter socks at the sump, and quick filters on my power heads, easy to clean every few days to minimize nasty bacteria expansion.
In any case, the water flow for that filter isn't near enough so you need other sources of water flow internally like power heads or a closed loop system if the tank is drilled. Are you going to have a sump also?
Protein skimmer should be rated for at least 100g for a 38g tank, but more is better.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote