Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2016, 06:27 PM   #1
jamest0o0
Registered Member

seahorse considerations?

Hi all, working on getting back into the hobby. I don't know a whole lot about seahorses, but I'm considering them for my next tank. Obviously I have my research to do, but just to start, I was wondering what special considerations I should take in with keeping seahorses that would be different from say a reef tank. I was thinking of trying to get a build together and get a tank cycling as soon as I can and then figure out what I want to stock the tank with down the road. So I was just seeing if there was anything I should know about before setting my tank up in case I want to go with seahorses. I know they can't have high flow, but that could be adjusted down the road. I figured most SW tanks start out the same way with LR, substrate, skimmers, cycling, etc. Any sort of feedback would be helpful, thanks.

Unread 01/21/2016, 11:56 PM   #2
rayjay
Registered Member

Well first off, tank flow should be at least 10X and more is better.
You just need to be sure that the seahorses can't be blown against something to be injured, and have hitching in low medium and high flow areas so they can choose where they wish to be at any given time.
There is a lot more to learn that you can glean from any one post but IMO, the number one thing to give best chances of success is extreme husbandry because of the propensity of seahorses to succumb to bacterial diseases.
Here is my blurb: My Thoughts on Seahorse Keeping
Another good read is post #5 by pledosphy on this thread: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2274878

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2016, 07:07 AM   #3
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
Well first off, tank flow should be at least 10X and more is better.
You just need to be sure that the seahorses can't be blown against something to be injured, and have hitching in low medium and high flow areas so they can choose where they wish to be at any given time.
There is a lot more to learn that you can glean from any one post but IMO, the number one thing to give best chances of success is extreme husbandry because of the propensity of seahorses to succumb to bacterial diseases.
Here is my blurb: My Thoughts on Seahorse Keeping
Another good read is post #5 by pledosphy on this thread: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2274878
Thanks for the link Ray, I had never read that by pledosphy before and that is interesting.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2016, 02:41 PM   #4
jamest0o0
Registered Member

Thanks i'll check that out for sure!