Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/29/2017, 08:35 PM   #1
BD_Saltlife
Registered Member

LED and T5 combo

Hey Y'all,

I was seeking some advice. I just set up a 55g tank over the weekend. Tank came with a current orbit LED marine set. Was planning on getting coralife duel t5 HO lights along with the orbit led (combo). Planning on getting some sps.

Currently have equipment :
Coralife super skimmer 65g
Octopus phosphate reactor MF300B
Current orbit marine LED

Life stock:
Maroone clown fish 1
Black oculus clown 1
Yellow tail damsel 1
Village damsel 1
Blue damsel 1
Royal gramma 1
Golden hammer
Frogspawn
Kenya tree
Toadstool
Blue tip hammer
Pink tip torch
Some mushrooms
BTA anenome 2
And pink tube anenome

Any thoughts as to if the the t5 and led combo would be enough for sps?

BD_Saltlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 08:48 PM   #2
exsequor
Registered Member

I think it's a great combo but only have experience with it growing los and softies in my 29g biocube (I used t5s + orbit reef light. So I do have experience in the sense that I have a rank running with t5s and LEDs. I think it's a good combo, but sps keepers he better off answering that specific of your question, I think

exsequor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 08:56 PM   #3
BD_Saltlife
Registered Member

I mean I guess if the par is right it shouldn't be a problem. I was just wondering if some with a 55g has that combo and could point me in the right direction. But thank for you reply

BD_Saltlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 11:27 PM   #4
exsequor
Registered Member

Conveniently enough I am running a softie reef in a 55g, that is my "QT" (I don't reall ybelieve in copper treatment - controversial, i know) so I use this small softy reef as my QT. I use just a 80 watt chinese, 48" orbit knock off and it grows my softies fine. I imagine with your orbit and t5's you'll do just fine with the SPS. I don't have a par meter either but I bet you'll do good

exsequor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2017, 12:02 PM   #5
Turbomark
Registered Member

My concerns would be the rest of the setup. Are you running a sump? Macro algae? How do you plan to manage nitrates? Do you have all the required test kits? If so what's your water parameters? I'm assuming that you're using rodi. Do you have an ato? How will you be maintaining calcium and alk? Is the tank established and stable?

I am think your lighting plan is solid, the orbit wouldn't be able to support sps by itself. Sorry for all the questions but there's a lot more that goes into even a simple sps setup. No use wasting your money on pricey animals if you don't have the right environment.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Turbomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2017, 12:20 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

In general the current orbit LED is not sufficient for high light corals in anything less than a really shallow tank..

Its using lower power LEDs that do not have the penetration at decent depths like other LED fixtures have..
You will need the t5 for sure and to keep the SPS (or high light corals) higher in the tank..