Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/24/2013, 08:45 PM   #1
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

Need to drill thick acrylic, is diamond bit better than hole saw?

I have an expensive acrylic tank to drill with 3/8" back. I hate drilling acrylic but might try a diamond glass bit on a thick scrap of acrylic first. Anyone do this?

Thanks for looking at my build thread and subscribe to it if you already haven't yet!

Current Tank Info: thirty rimless
cherubfish pair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2013, 09:54 PM   #2
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

No, I haven't tried a diamond bit, but I think the biggest thing about drilling acrylic is to keep the speed low.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Gbear
Registered Member

A normal wood hole saw will result in less melting.
A saw with a pilot drill helps.
Suggest you clamp a piece of wood to the backside to help avoid break through chip out.

Gbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2013, 10:28 PM   #4
Da Maui life
Registered Member

Diamond glass bit is not the way go. A wood or even a bi metal hole saw would do the job, slow RPM’s or a squirt bottle filled with water would help heat/melting issues. I would drill the hole undersize then finish with a router and template.

Unread 08/24/2013, 11:24 PM   #5
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

You say keep speed low, you mean drill speed or pressure on the acrylic?

Thanks for looking at my build thread and subscribe to it if you already haven't yet!

Unread 08/24/2013, 11:40 PM   #6
Da Maui life
Registered Member

They both go hand in hand.

Low RPM and low pressure, let the hole saw do the cutting. Acrylic will ball-up and leave globs around the hole if it melts, not to mention mar the inside diameter as well. That’s way I recommended the above ‘I would drill the hole undersize then finish with a router and template.’ you’ll get a nice clean hole that way.

Flush Trim Router Bit like this one

http://www.amazon.com/CMT-806-127-11...outer+trim+bit

Last edited by Da Maui life; 08/24/2013 at 11:45 PM.
Da Maui life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2013, 06:42 AM   #7
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

3/8's acrylic is not that thick...i would just use a wood bit and have at it...you dont have to drill all that slow either...too slow, like you would to grind glass, will also ball up and melt, as the bit will not be able to clean itself out...a little faster then you would grind glass and a nice sharp (new) wood bit will work just fine...i love the idea of routing the hole afterward...you could also just use a plunge router and bit with the bearing mounted on the top, rather then the bottom, just clamp your template to the top side..

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Timfish
Registered Member

Like Da Maui life said, go slow and use a spray bottle to keep the acrylic cool. Once it gets warm enough to melt it will gum up the teeth of your hole saw.

Unread 08/25/2013, 07:38 AM   #9
Gandolfe
Registered Member

A diamond bit is for glass and tile, use a regular hole saw with fine teeth would be best. Drill with normal speed and a spray bottle full of water to keep bit cool. it should only take a few seconds to go through 3/8" thick acrylic. A backing piece of wood or acrylic will make a neater hole. Just use a piece of sand paper to go over hole after you drill it. If there are bigger "chunks" use a razor blade and scrape around the hole to remove any burrs then finish with sandpaper.

Gandolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2013, 07:44 AM   #10
A Reef Scene
Registered Member.

If you drill fast you risk warping the acrylic. At the very least you don't want hot plastic shavings hitting you.

A Reef Scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2013, 08:45 AM   #11
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Carbide tipped hole saws are the best choice. If you douse the area with running water, the shavings will come out whole and there is no chance of the saw getting caught in molten plastic. The water and subsequent reduction of heat will also prevent stress cracking or crazing if the area is to be solvent welded.

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2013, 11:33 AM   #12
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

I've drilled acrylic before and the bit will cut for awhile then it gets hot and I slowed my drill speed and let some pressure off. Then it starts to cut again but how to keep from gumming? I've never used water. Sounds like it could make one heck of a difference.

I need a 1-5/8" hole. Should I drill a 1-3/8" hole and use a router from there or maybe a 1-1/4" hole and use a router from there?

What could I use for a template? a scrap of acrylic? Would a 1x dimension scrape wood be too thick?

Unread 08/25/2013, 10:11 PM   #13
Da Maui life
Registered Member

[QUOTE=cherubfish pair;21841081]I've drilled acrylic before and the bit will cut for awhile then it gets hot and I slowed my drill speed and let some pressure off. Then it starts to cut again but how to keep from gumming? I've never used water. Sounds like it could make one heck of a difference.

I need a 1-5/8" hole. Should I drill a 1-3/8" hole and use a router from there or maybe a 1-1/4" hole and use a router from there?

What could I use for a template? a scrap of acrylic? Would a 1x dimension scrape wood be too thick?[/
QUOTE]

Ten ways to skin a cat, I use a ½” MDF drill holes in template to finish size/placement with hole saw. Put some double sided tape to bottom of template if you can’t clamp use a hole saw and drill undersize, leave just a little meat for finishing with router . Make sure you go slow with the router if your using tape.

Unread 05/27/2017, 04:35 AM   #14
kapoorplastics
Registered Member

Just use a regular battery type drill with a standard spiral bit suitable for wood. Try to keep the drill speed low and take your time when drilling through.

kapoorplastics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2017, 05:36 AM   #15
salty joe
Registered Member

All these cautions about heat are right on the money. Anytime I drill acrylic, I like to drill a little then cool the hole saw, drill bit, whatever I'm cutting with. I do this beforeI see gummed up molten acrylic.

Gbear's suggestion to use a plywood backer is a good one.

Sharp tools are a must, take your time, it won't take long.

Unread 05/27/2017, 07:06 AM   #16
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Guys the post is from 4+ years ago..
kapoorplastics is just attempting advertising for their site..

I will alert the mods to have their post removed..

Unread 05/27/2017, 07:31 AM   #17
ericarenee
Registered Member

Drilling speed depend on the bit you use.. If you use a normal spiral wood bit.. Speed needs to be Fast, Drill very stable no wobbling and No pressure... Running a Drill slow is more likely to cause the Bit to bind and crack the acrylic ....

The key is stability and no wobbling of the drill or bit...Also to keep from having melting I use a shop vac with the hose on the out put to blow away the shavings..

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote