Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/29/2017, 06:40 PM   #1
Marco333
Registered Member

Cleaning HOB protein skimmer

I have had my Eshopps Hang On Protein Skimmer PSK-75H running for about four months. It has been working great except recently it has become really really dirty and has trouble starting up after I turn it off to empty the collection cup. I have some questions on how to clean it.

I read I should soak it in a mixture of fresh water and white vinegar. Does this mean just submerge it while powered off or should I turn it on and hang it on the back of a spare empty tank so the vinegar water runs through it? How long do I leave it in the vinegar water?

Thanks!

Marco333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 07:10 PM   #2
AlSimmons
Registered Member

FWIW this is what I would do. First I would lay the skimmer down in an ice chest or some sort of container and submerge it in pure white vinegar. Submerging half of the skimmer will work too, but you'll have to keep rotating the skimmer every couple hours or so. Take the pump off the skimmer and use that to circulate the vinegar in the ice chest/container. I'd probably let it soak for at least 6 hours and then give it a good scrub under the faucet. Piece of cake.

Btw all that vinegar can be used again. Just put it back in the container until the next time you need to clean a piece of equipment.

Last edited by AlSimmons; 05/29/2017 at 07:18 PM.
AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 07:43 PM   #3
Marco333
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post
FWIW this is what I would do. First I would lay the skimmer down in an ice chest or some sort of container and submerge it in pure white vinegar. Submerging half of the skimmer will work too, but you'll have to keep rotating the skimmer every couple hours or so. Take the pump off the skimmer and use that to circulate the vinegar in the ice chest/container. I'd probably let it soak for at least 6 hours and then give it a good scrub under the faucet. Piece of cake.

Btw all that vinegar can be used again. Just put it back in the container until the next time you need to clean a piece of equipment.
Is it ok to submerge the pump even though it's part of a HOB skimmer?

Marco333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 08:25 PM   #4
Diana A
Registered Member

yes...I have the same HOB with the Sicce pump. I run it in a water and vinegar mix. Clean the skimmer and pump every 3 months to prevent calcium build up.

Last edited by Diana A; 05/29/2017 at 08:31 PM.
Diana A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2017, 10:22 PM   #5
dgallegos19
Registered Member

Hey guys I'm a student at Pritzker Collegep Prep in Chicago and I'm pretty curious about the protein skimmers and all the types there are, I want to know what would be the best kind of protein skimmer to get that isn't too expensive. Do you have any tips in the beginning of setting up a coral reef tank?

dgallegos19 is offline   Reply With Quote