Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/19/2017, 02:58 AM   #51
mike810
Registered Member

Is there a release date for the ATK?

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 08:37 AM   #52
shiftline
Registered Member

I haven't heard of one yet. But I'll keep an eye out for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Fuson 30L
shiftline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 10:30 AM   #53
vhuang168
Registered Member

It will be very soon. Beta testing is almost done if I'm not wrong.

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 09:00 PM   #54
shiftline
Registered Member

Sounds like it

Unread 05/22/2017, 12:53 AM   #55
shiftline
Registered Member

Looks like they will be released in about two weeks!

Unread 05/22/2017, 01:08 AM   #56
mike810
Registered Member

Looking forward to it. Now they need to restock the 1" flow sensors. It seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Unread 05/22/2017, 08:10 PM   #57
shiftline
Registered Member

I hear you. I was trying to find the same thing last week! (Still hunting)

Unread 05/22/2017, 09:26 PM   #58
sleepydoc
Registered Member

So details are still sketchy since it hasn't been released, but is there any advantage of this over a Tunze osmolator?

Unread 05/22/2017, 10:00 PM   #59
mike810
Registered Member

Probably just the integration with apex and the algorithm programmed into it. Otherwise, the tunze would be just as good. I plan to purchase the flow meters so instead of Buying the fmk, I'll wait for the atk and purchase a single 1" flow meter. I also really like the moun for the optical eyes and float valve.

Any float switches with a breakout box will do the same job.

Unread 05/22/2017, 11:11 PM   #60
Kyl
Registered Member

Apex integration and saving a power outlet if you have the EB832 are the two perks, aside from being able to run a flow meter or leak detection probe.

Last edited by Kyl; 05/22/2017 at 11:18 PM.
Kyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 10:33 PM   #61
edolan
Registered Member

Curious if anyone has the dimensions on this ato? How long is it with the float valve?

edolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 04:29 AM   #62
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
First of all a pump that is inside a container that is the same height as the sump and has tubing connected horizontally from the top of the container to the sump should not siphon when turned off. A tiny sicce sincra micro does not do it yet the tunze and pmup do.

I mentioned the litermeter as that's what I have now and yes I know the difference between a peristaltic and impeller pump.

The pmup is way too expensive for what it is.

Then again you are a "beta" tester for Neptune so I don't expect you to agree.
A siphon is basic physics. There are no magic exceptions to it because of a pump. Your set up is installed incorrectly if you have siphon problems. It's that simple, there's nothing to debate .

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 07:16 AM   #63
vhuang168
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edolan View Post
Curious if anyone has the dimensions on this ato? How long is it with the float valve?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/atk-au...e-systems.html

Dimensions are listed in the description.

Looks like it's 6.5" long.

Unread 05/24/2017, 09:27 AM   #64
Vinno
Registered Member

Are the electric neptune sensors fast like coommon electrical float white ones or is there a big delay?

Also with you guys talking about siphoning, doesnt a rodi value gig below work? http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mur-lo...h-connect.html

Vinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 10:31 AM   #65
vhuang168
Registered Member

Neptune Apex ATK (Auto Topoff Kit)

There is no delay in triggering states.

If I'm not wrong, the ATK will ship with an anti siphon .

Unread 05/24/2017, 10:33 AM   #66
sleepydoc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
A siphon is basic physics. There are no magic exceptions to it because of a pump. Your set up is installed incorrectly if you have siphon problems. It's that simple, there's nothing to debate .
Agree. A siphon will occur whenever you have a fluid filled tube connecting two bodies/containers of water. The water will always flow from the container with the higher water level to that with the lower water level. If the outlet of the tube is not in the water then the siphon will occur as long as the outlet of the tube is below the water level in the source container.

Peristaltic pumps prevent this because the roller pinches the tubing, blocking the flow of water, otherwise, the pump is irrelevant. The height of the tanks is irrelevant. the length of the tubing is irrelevant.

If you are siphoning water with your setup, you can either try to change physics or change your setup. The 2nd option is easier.

The Mur-lock check valve Vinno linked to won't help. Check valves keep water from flowing 'backwards,' but in this case the siphon is occurring in the 'forward' direction, so the water would just keep flowing.

Unread 05/24/2017, 10:56 AM   #67
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/atk-au...e-systems.html

Dimensions are listed in the description.

Looks like it's 6.5" long.

If BRS is correct in describing 'what's included' it's a really pretty good deal for $200. I may actually buy one for the parts

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 10:57 AM   #68
vhuang168
Registered Member

The list looks correct.

Unread 05/24/2017, 11:02 AM   #69
sleepydoc
Registered Member

Now that this system is released and there are more details, I have a few thoughts:
  • Price - It's on the high end for ATOs, but not unreasonable, IMO. If you price our the components separately, the optical sensors, pump and FMM alone come to $190. The Tunze osmolator, what most consider to be the 'gold standard' is $200. There are other cheaper systems, but their features and components differ.
  • Having the ability to add a low water sensor to the ATO reservoir and a leak detector is very nice and something not available in other systems that I'm aware of
  • The 'smart' timing feature that limited fill time to 2x the average fill time might be an issue. I've had plenty of occasions where I come home and realize the ATO has run dry and my sump is a half gallon low. With the Tunze I just fill up the reservoir and let the ATO run. Doesn't seem like you can do that with the Apex unless you can adjust this with fusion.
  • Supposedly Neptune will be selling just the optical sensors & bracket separately. Depending on the price, that would make it almost a no-brainer for anyone who already has an apex FMM.
  • An added bonus for those that have an Apex is it saves a switched outlet.
  • I'm curious as to whether you can change/customize the programming if you have an Apex or if it's simply limited to how it's set at the factory.
  • Since improperly programming an ATO has a huge potential for damage to the tank and floods, having it pre-programmed is a nice benefit for people new to controllers.

Unread 05/24/2017, 11:24 AM   #70
vhuang168
Registered Member

If your reservoir had run dry, the ATK will probably be in error state. Refilling the reservoir and re-enabling ATK should be fine. You can also manually fill in the return chamber to the low sensor.

You can customize the programming.

Apex Fusion just got an update that introduces 'Tasks'. It will guide you through setup of various equipment like heaters, pumps and the ATK. It will then generate the code based on that.

Unread 05/24/2017, 12:30 PM   #71
spifftempo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydoc View Post
Agree. A siphon will occur whenever you have a fluid filled tube connecting two bodies/containers of water. The water will always flow from the container with the higher water level to that with the lower water level. If the outlet of the tube is not in the water then the siphon will occur as long as the outlet of the tube is below the water level in the source container.

Peristaltic pumps prevent this because the roller pinches the tubing, blocking the flow of water, otherwise, the pump is irrelevant. The height of the tanks is irrelevant. the length of the tubing is irrelevant.

If you are siphoning water with your setup, you can either try to change physics or change your setup. The 2nd option is easier.

The Mur-lock check valve Vinno linked to won't help. Check valves keep water from flowing 'backwards,' but in this case the siphon is occurring in the 'forward' direction, so the water would just keep flowing.
Looks like Neptune Systems will be including a siphon break as a standard with every ATK.

https://www.neptunesystems.com/wp-co...structions.png

spifftempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 01:07 PM   #72
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

How many people have preordered?

Unread 05/24/2017, 01:41 PM   #73
wmo168
Registered Member

Are they offering it without the pump? I rather use aqua filter pump...

wmo168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 02:12 PM   #74
chgoblknazn
Registered Member

I was really excited about the release but it doesn't really provide any advantages over my current Tunze which will likely work forever. The float switch is huge. Does it need the power supply to run or is power provided by the aquabus?

Last edited by chgoblknazn; 05/24/2017 at 02:17 PM.
chgoblknazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 02:13 PM   #75
jayball
Registered Member

If you already have an apex I do not see how or why you would need this. I have 50 dollars in float switches, a bracket, and an aqua-lifter plugged into my breakout box. You can program your own frequency that it can run and auto shut off.

Why would I need it? Is this aimed at the segment without an apex that think the tunze ATO is not sufficient?

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote