Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/06/2019, 02:11 PM   #1
Rhett 1
Registered Member

Can I remove this center brace ?

I have a DIY 55 gallon sump with four glass baffles. My question is as the title suggests can the center brace be removed? I know it is structural but can the load be put on the baffles rather then the center brace

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190206_132109.jpg (35.4 KB, 88 views)
Unread 02/06/2019, 02:41 PM   #2
FishAndPhysics
Registered Member

It probably depends on how full your sump will be, and a lot of other factors. IMO wouldn't risk it. If you really must have clear access, buy an acrylic sump or a tank without a brace.

Logic for not risking it: The baffles seem like the same idea as a eurobrace, BUT, a eurobrace generally covers the entire top of the tank, meaning there is a lot of surface area in contact with the walls glued with silicone. I've never seen a eurobrace which was just a flat strip of glass across the center of a tank. Plus, in a traditional eurobrace, the silicone is in shear load. In your case, the silicone would be in cleavage load, where one end has more stress (because the walls are going to want to tip of the, since the bottom is still holding them). This is going to tend to peel the sidewalls off the baffle. It's a failure mode that could kill your tank if it happened at an inopportune moment, and certainly cause a lot of damage in your house.

FishAndPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2019, 03:07 PM   #3
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

it can, you just have to worry about the silicone you used for your baffles. Each baffle effectively makes the tank smaller, and looking at the picture smaller to the point of not needing a center brace.

That said the quality of of the silicone is what is key both in the material and the application of the material. If you simply ran a bead along the edges and smoothed it out with your finger I'd lean against it being terribly structural, however if there is silicone physically between the baffles and the glass on the sides (and not TOO much silicone) then sure it's perfectly strong.

Unread 02/06/2019, 04:56 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

No.. leave it..

Unread 02/06/2019, 08:36 PM   #5
ajoe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
No.. leave it..
plus one. it's called a brace for a reason.

ajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2019, 09:45 AM   #6
bluerrpilot
Registered Member

I personally would confidently remove the brace.

The brace is used to connect the front panel with the back to prevent deflection of either due to water pressure. In this case your baffles are essentially doing the same thing. As well as the water volume is going to be substantially less than 55 gallons.

bluerrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2019, 04:18 PM   #7
Grantb76
Registered Member

I have a similar setup with a 75 gallon tank/sump and removed the center brace with no issues for 7+ years. I also run my sump quite high and on power down is only an inch from the top and has had no issues.

Grantb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2019, 10:23 PM   #8
Rhett 1
Registered Member

In my mind it makes complete since that the baffles would easily hold the load.

Unread 02/16/2019, 10:50 AM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Brace doesn’t seem like it’d be in the way; I’d leave it there. Probably removing it would be fine. Lots of tank failures based on ‘probably’ though.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2019, 11:55 PM   #10
fishing guide
Registered Member

Remove it. There is no need with the baffles providing support.

fishing guide is offline   Reply With Quote