Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/13/2018, 03:00 PM   #3026
Stickboy97
Registered Member

Don't know much about them. I believe it is a brushed model, so it might be a little noisy.

Unread 07/13/2018, 03:15 PM   #3027
hkgar
Registered Member

I, personally know nothing about those pumps and could not find any information. What is the flow rate for LS17 tubing? Is flow rate adjustable or static? If adjustable, what is the range? Is it brushed or brushless? If you read this complete thread why didn't you get a pump that has been reviewed and recommended here?

If it meets your system requirements, than it is just fine. You really can't go wrong with a Cole Parmer pump.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2018, 03:44 PM   #3028
bkztrini465
Registered Member

Definitely brushed, don't mind the noise as it won't be near a living area. From what I understand from research it will do the job and turns 10-600 rpm base on the controller. Just have to wait and see what easy-load heads it comes with as it was not mentioned in the post.

It was too good of a deal to pass up, if it doesn't work out I'm sure I can resell it or use it for something else for the tank.

bkztrini465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2018, 05:12 PM   #3029
scuzy
Registered Member

Just a FYI I just had to send in my 7522-20 that's the newest model for a faulty board. Heard many reviews that's this model has defects.

I had to out the older 7523-80 in service until I get mine back. Was going to use the 7523-80 as my awc pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 04:40 PM   #3030
bkztrini465
Registered Member

Anyone know what type of head this is and what tubing it will accept? From what I can find online it looks like 7518-10.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 40FAB775-511A-4F9B-A10D-15EFA4352459.jpeg (45.5 KB, 48 views)
Unread 07/21/2018, 12:42 PM   #3031
bkztrini465
Registered Member

So I got two heads that are both 7518-60 and will take ls17 tubing. My question now is does anyone know how to program a 77300-60 contoller?

Unread 07/25/2018, 07:55 PM   #3032
bkztrini465
Registered Member

So I got a 7523-60 with 77200-60 head for a good price. Think I’ll be much happier with this.

Unread 07/27/2018, 09:42 AM   #3033
Stickboy97
Registered Member

About to post a Brushless 7523-70 in the for sale section if anyone is interested. It has a cartridge pump head I can sell with it, that says it takes LS17 tubing. $400 with out $450 with. Depending on where you are located I may cover the shipping or help with it.

Unread 08/14/2018, 05:25 PM   #3034
bkztrini465
Registered Member

So I managed to get my 7523-60 with 77200-60 head online and running without co2. I used the Oatey white as suggested many times in this thread and so far no leaks of water or air. I set the reactor up to pull and it’s been great. Right now just test the waters to make myself feel comfortable that it won’t leak.

I bought a used carbondoser in great shape that was recently serviced. Question I have is is there aupposed to be a washer of some sort between the tank and regulator or is some oatey white on the threads enough?

Unread 08/14/2018, 09:53 PM   #3035
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkztrini465 View Post
So I managed to get my 7523-60 with 77200-60 head online and running without co2. I used the Oatey white as suggested many times in this thread and so far no leaks of water or air. I set the reactor up to pull and it’s been great. Right now just test the waters to make myself feel comfortable that it won’t leak.

I bought a used carbondoser in great shape that was recently serviced. Question I have is is there aupposed to be a washer of some sort between the tank and regulator or is some oatey white on the threads enough?
Yes, you need a washer between the regulator and Co2 tank. Do NOT use pipe dope there. It won’t seal and you will make a mess of the tank and regulator. Aquarium Plants makes a great seal for that which does away with the disposable plastic washers and makes for a much better seal. Those washer based seals are garbage and prone to leaks.

The Aquarium Plant Perma Seal is the best seal I’ve ever used. They are truly great. I’ve been using them for years and they never leak and are reusable. BRS might stock them as well.
https://www.aquariumplants.com/Perma...al-p/perm1.htm

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 12:49 AM   #3036
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post

The Aquarium Plant Perma Seal is the best seal I’ve ever used. They are truly great. I’ve been using them for years and they never leak and are reusable. BRS might stock them as well.
https://www.aquariumplants.com/Perma...al-p/perm1.htm
Confirmed, best seal I've ever used as well.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2018, 02:37 PM   #3037
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Confirmed, best seal I've ever used as well.
Can they be reused and, if so, how many times?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2018, 03:06 PM   #3038
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
I'm still using my original from 8+ years ago.

Unread 08/25/2018, 03:21 PM   #3039
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
That’s the whole point of them.. It’s a brass piece that threads into the regulator or tank and has a rubber o-ring in it. They should last indefinitely and make a perfect leak free seal.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 08/25/2018, 03:41 PM   #3040
GQuinn
Registered Member

I have a masterflex pump with a Tomtec pump head model #900-1536. I am having a hard time determining tubing size, it keeps splitting on me after a couple of months. Does anyone have any idea what tubing I should be using?

Last edited by GQuinn; 08/25/2018 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Content
GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2018, 11:19 PM   #3041
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQuinn View Post
I have a masterflex pump with a Tomtec pump head model #900-1536. I am having a hard time determining tubing size, it keeps splitting on me after a couple of months. Does anyone have any idea what tubing I should be using?
The part number 900-1536 is used by cole-parmer to signify a custom part, in this case it is likely just putting the name Tomtec on the pump head. I looked it up and if yours also says "use precision tubing" on the front of the head then any tubing set in the precision category will work.

The tubing I link in the first few posts is the correct tubing for your head. What tube are you currently using?

Could you post a few pics of your pump head?

Unread 08/26/2018, 08:08 AM   #3042
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:
The part number 900-1536 is used by cole-parmer to signify a custom part, in this case it is likely just putting the name Tomtec on the pump head. I looked it up and if yours also says "use precision tubing" on the front of the head then any tubing set in the precision category will work.

The tubing I link in the first few posts is the correct tubing for your head. What tube are you currently using?

Here is the pump head
F08590CE-C54A-459F-B196-0039F10BAC18.jpg

Unread 08/26/2018, 08:10 AM   #3043
GQuinn
Registered Member

This is the tubing I am using

E2EBC42C-039A-43BA-A9B5-DB60755B2CCB.jpg

Thanks for your help

Unread 08/26/2018, 08:21 AM   #3044
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:

After looking at your recommended tube I think I have the correct one. Maybe I just need to change it out every one or two months.

Unread 08/26/2018, 08:42 AM   #3045
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
After looking at your recommended tube I think I have the correct one. Maybe I just need to change it out every one or two months.
I searched for info on that Tomtech head and can’t find any info on what size tubing it was made for. If your head is chewing through that tubing that quick, the head is probably not designed for LS17 tubing. I’m going on well over 6 months since my last tubing change running at 63ml/min non stop. You might want to consider getting a new Easy Load Head that is known to support LS17 tubing. If anything, I’d call Cole Parmer and see if they can tell you what LS size tubing that head supports since they made it for Tomtech. They may still have records on it’s specs or what Cole Parmer model it crosses to.

Unread 08/26/2018, 08:50 AM   #3046
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I searched for info on that Tomtech head and can’t find any info on what size tubing it was made for. If your head is chewing through that tubing that quick, the head is probably not designed for LS17 tubing. I’m going on well over 6 months since my last tubing change running at 63ml/min non stop. You might want to consider getting a new Easy Load Head that is known to support LS17 tubing. If anything, I’d call Cole Parmer and see if they can tell you what LS size tubing that head supports since they made it for Tomtech. They may still have records on it’s specs or what Cole Parmer model it crosses to.
Thanks for the information. I liooked at the model number for the Tomtec head and it is #900-1536. It shows up in a couple of searches, but no real information.

Unread 08/26/2018, 09:04 AM   #3047
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I liooked at the model number for the Tomtec head and it is #900-1536. It shows up in a couple of searches, but no real information.
You can try to contact cole-parmer but without the original purchase order they usually can't tell you anything about 900-xxxx part numbers.

All precision tubing is compatible with precision easy loads. Typically split tubing means the head is pinching the tubing too hard, I'd double check everything is clean and spinning freely. If it is you may want to do as slief recommended and get s new head.

Unread 08/28/2018, 08:13 AM   #3048
naterealbig
Premium Member

Hi Team Masterflex,

I'm thinking that I would like to utilize a Masterflex pump for automatic water changes, and I have a couple of questions:

1. From a reliability and low maintenance standpoint, I'm assuming that a Masterflex setup would be best (I would be using Apex to control, depending on pump model purchased - looking to use a brushless digital): Is this a good assumption?

2. I was thinking that I will need a pump with a double head on it. Will this work?

3. Assuming that the answers to questions 1 & 2 are "yes" - is there a specific model head that I should use? I have seen some talk on "occlusion"-type heads, but I was hoping I could get more details.

Thank you!

Unread 08/28/2018, 10:07 AM   #3049
naterealbig
Premium Member

Also, is there potential to use a triple-head (w/ adjustable occlusion) for automatic water changes as well as calcium reactor feed all from a single drive, or would this be too complicated?

Thank you,

Nathan

Unread 08/28/2018, 10:45 AM   #3050
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naterealbig View Post
Hi Team Masterflex,

I'm thinking that I would like to utilize a Masterflex pump for automatic water changes, and I have a couple of questions:

1. From a reliability and low maintenance standpoint, I'm assuming that a Masterflex setup would be best (I would be using Apex to control, depending on pump model purchased - looking to use a brushless digital): Is this a good assumption?

2. I was thinking that I will need a pump with a double head on it. Will this work?

3. Assuming that the answers to questions 1 & 2 are "yes" - is there a specific model head that I should use? I have seen some talk on "occlusion"-type heads, but I was hoping I could get more details.

Thank you!
1. Absolutely, with a brushless digital you will be able to control the pump easily with the apex. Pretty much all of the digital units would be able to be integrated easily, brushless or not.

2. Yes, it's best that one of your heads have adjustable occlusion to balance the heads. I've found along with that it is best to make equal length tubing runs with a larger diameter tube to reduce losses from the tube.

3. Occlusion refers to the "pinch" of the tube. In the easy-load category of pump heads you can get them with adjustable occlusion. The heads are very precise to begin with but with most manufacturing there are tolerances. Having one head with adjustable occlusion would allow you to flow test the heads and make sure they are identical. It may not however be necessary or you may chose to go with a standard type head.

Here is the product page for easy loads.
https://www.coleparmer.com/p/masterf...?Ntt=easy+load

Some tips having done this before...

-Please use a conductivity probe on your controller and lock out the water change system if the salinity goes out of norm.

-Replace the tubing more frequently than necessary. Even though tubing sets can last years, I recommend replacing quarterly. For an auto water change setup I would recommend you do it monthly. It only takes a few minutes to keep them clean and fresh.

-Have a low float switch in your reservoir that will deactivate the system should you run low on water change water. Things happen so it is nice to have a reminder.

-Place a water leak rope or sensor at the base of the pump heads to alert you if you have a rupture. While unlikely, I feel it is better safe than sorry on a system like this.

-Aim for stainless roller heads, they tend to last longer and have tighter tolerances. When you get them replace the front and rear bearings, they're cheap and readily available.

If properly set up the system will be robust. I ran one for over a year, in fact, the only reason this thread exists is that I had a masterflex laying around after taking down the AWC system and decided to toss it on my calcium reactor. It works great for both setups.