Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/31/2019, 03:08 PM   #1
Winstopian
Registered Member

Smile Stocking a 240 gallon aquarium

Hello all! I'm new to the forum but have had aquariums for sometime.

My husband and I are considering buying a 240 gallon aquarium but aren't sure how to stock it as we are used to smaller tanks. I'm really partial to the dogface puffer but he likes a fuller looking aquarium with more schooling type fish and corals (that I read the puffer will destroy)

Any ideas on how we could happily meet in the middle?

Winstopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2019, 08:07 PM   #2
tmnails
Registered Member

That's one of the decisions that doesn't have a middle really. Once you choose to add a fish that's not reef safe, you definitely limit yourself.

tmnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2019, 06:54 AM   #3
Bono
Registered Member

I really dont like the look of a tank with a few large fish so I'm with your husband. I have a 450 with 25 fish so far and its constant but obviously its personal decision.

Current Tank Info: 210 gal, 300lbs LR, Aquamaxx Skimmer, 3x Reefbreeders LED's & T5's.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2019, 07:12 PM   #4
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winstopian View Post
My husband and I are considering buying a 240 gallon aquarium...I'm really partial to the dogface puffer but he likes a fuller looking aquarium with more schooling type fish and corals...
Any ideas on how we could happily meet in the middle?
Two 120 gallon tanks.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2019, 10:35 AM   #5
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It really comes down to what YOU want, and what your priorities are. Figure that out, and then everything else needs to work with it. With a big puffer, you could do a 'Rambo Tank', with big aggressive fish. Or you could do a school of Heniochus Butterflyfish, with a peaceful community. Corals, live rock, plants are also considerations. If you can pinpoint your highest priority, that will determine everything else.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote