Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2018, 06:06 AM   #1
incloud
Registered Member

Tunze Osmolator

Hi guys, it's been quite some time and I got my tank back up and running. Having problems with my Osmolator and wanted to drop the message I sent to Tunze here seeing they are listed here and i have seen answers and solutions posted on Reef Central. Hoping I don't have to buy another one or send it all the way to Germany to get it working. Bought it a while ago, is there a better top off at a reasonable price anyone suggests. I'll buy new if I have to but not something that failed after 8 months use. Thanks in advance!

Hello, my name is Bob Caron and I own the Tunze Osmolator. I bought the unit about 4 years ago I believe from BRS. The unit was used for approximately 8 months when I decided to take my tank down. I then took the Osmolator and cleaned it up like new and put it away in a safe, dry place for future use. I recently took it out after getting my tank back up and running and set it up. Unfortunately, all it does is go to all solid red lights with a green light in the center and beeps a solid alarm that won't stop until you unplug it. I tested the pump itself by 9V battery and it starts and runs without any hesitation. There is no water damage as it was never near any water mounted outside of my tank stand and stored as new. The unit as a whole has no evidence of use and looks as though it just came out of the box. I'm not sure what you will do to help but it would be nice to resolve this issue with the least amount of hassle as possible. I take it you're in Germany and from Massachusetts (United States) would be quite a haul to send it back. Spending 200 bucks again on this unit is what I'm hoping to avoid. Always worked just fine so not sure what may have happened or if there is something I can do to get it working. I've been on the forums you suggest and tried the different suggestions like cleaning leads and what not but no difference. I would appreciate a response and cure to the problem as soon as possible and will say thank you in advance for your time and consideration on this matter.

incloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 08:47 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Bob,

A solid red too high light, with or without the green light and a blinking too low red light is the water damage indicator. The most common cause of water damage is the power supply tip lands in water and gets plugged in wet, the water damage will then be under the power socket on the controller and not apparent until it is desoldered and removed. If it is minor damage of this nature it can typically be repaired. I am in the US. Send it to the address below and include a note with return address and phone number.

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 10:56 AM   #3
incloud
Registered Member

Thank you!

I will package it up and send it out by Monday. Do you want the whole setup or just the controller?

Unread 03/16/2018, 11:46 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It would be best to get everything electrical, pump, power supply and controller. I don't need the magnet holders or tubing.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 03/20/2018, 03:07 PM   #5
incloud
Registered Member

All set!

I got it all packed up and sent out today. Should be there by Saturday. Thanks in advance for your help!

Unread 03/21/2018, 08:02 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thank you!

Unread 03/22/2018, 09:54 PM   #7
incloud
Registered Member

Hopefully you got it okay, tracking says delivered as of this morning.

Unread 03/23/2018, 09:54 AM   #8
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Robert? If so I got it, it was just some minor water damage and is done and will go back out today.

Unread 03/23/2018, 09:59 AM   #9
incloud
Registered Member

Thank you very much! Just out of curiosity, what was the water damage. I tried going through it pretty thoroughly and couldn't resolve the issue. Maybe the lead from the power supply? Regardless, Thank you for your help!

Robert Caron

Unread 03/23/2018, 10:15 AM   #10
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It was where I usually find it, basically the power supply tip was plugged in wet, I unsolder the female power connection on the board and clean and touch up under neath. The circuitry uses a safety that detects any short or extra resistance and reverts to this failure to prevent a potentially worse failure where it would not stop.

Unread 03/23/2018, 11:07 AM   #11
incloud
Registered Member

That I would not have known, lol. Glad you were able to get it straight easy enough. My next move will be to upgrade the pump. Short of buying the $80 plug from BRS do you have any suggestions for implementing a stronger pump? The one that came with it and I sent to you has quite a few hours on it and my new sump system is in the basement so there's some height to the display. Of course I could always just run the top off downstairs but just thinking ahead.

Unread 03/23/2018, 11:49 AM   #12
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I don't, any direct connected pump has to be 12V and less than 1200mA and I know of none stronger.

Unread 03/31/2018, 08:27 PM   #13
incloud
Registered Member

Thank You

Just wanted to come back and say Thank you for your help! I got the unit back and is working flawlessly with my new basement setup. No need for a stronger pump as the top off is now only a foot away from my sump and working as designed, very well. Have a great holiday and Thanks again!

Bobby C. (incloud)

Unread 04/02/2018, 08:27 AM   #14
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thank you!

Tags
9v battery, controller, pump, reef, tunze osmolator