Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2018, 07:09 PM   #1
Jrambo88
Registered Member

Need advice on tank weight/floor

So I bought a 220 for a really good price. I want to put it on my 2nd floor. The unfortunate thing is I cannot go horizontal across floor joists, it has to go with the floor joists. Here’s the good, the corner it’s going in, the length of the tank goes against a load bearing wall in the basement. The right side goes against an outer wall. The first two joists it sits on are single beams, the 3rd beam is tripled up. The beams are 2x10 and are spaced 10 inches apart. The beams span 8ft before resting on a support steel beam. What do you guys th8nk?

Jrambo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 07:23 PM   #2
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

If you could post a few pictures of the location and show us what’s under it and location of th bearing walls/beams that would help a ton. But if I have the right visual you might be in good shape.

BoisBlancBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 07:39 PM   #3
ramseynb
Registered Member

Personally, I think you'd be fine but it's easy for me to say since it's not my house. :P

Assuming it's not some super tall 220G tank, that weight is going to be distributed along a pretty wide area. You're smarter than I am though. I'd just risk it and slowly feel it up and do a check on everything every once and a while. o_0

ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 08:18 PM   #4
Jrambo88
Registered Member

It’s the standard 6x2x30”. I’ll have to get pictures tomorrow, but I’m thinking since it doesn’t span that far, only 8 ft until it gets to the steel beam that, that’s huge. I had a 125on it for years with no issues, but it’s now basically double the weight lol.

Unread 03/25/2018, 06:31 PM   #5
davocean
Registered Member

If what you described is correct, you are probably one of the few times I'd assume good and not needing any additional support, but, that's just an educated guess based on your description.
Pics or plans would be needed for a true answer.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2018, 06:39 PM   #6
thegrun
Registered Member

Considering the risks, I would consult a licensed structural engineer. If you make a decent drawing of your floor joists and wall locations and take it to a structural engineer for a couple of hundred dollars you will get a professional analysis of your situation. You are looking at a load of 3500 lbs to 4000lbs.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2018, 06:48 PM   #7
Jrambo88
Registered Member

here is the floor plan

Attached Images
File Type: jpg floor plan.jpg (21.0 KB, 68 views)
Unread 03/25/2018, 06:57 PM   #8
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
Considering the risks, I would consult a licensed structural engineer. If you make a decent drawing of your floor joists and wall locations and take it to a structural engineer for a couple of hundred dollars you will get a professional analysis of your situation. You are looking at a load of 3500 lbs to 4000lbs.
I do agree, that is the best route.

I am a contractor myself, looking at your floor plan, it looks pretty doable to me, but if you were a client I would always run it past my structural engineer to be safe and avoid liability.

You could probably just text or email that to one w/ tank volume/weight specs to be safe and they probably won't charge much to do calcs.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 03/25/2018, 07:12 PM   #9
Joe0813
Registered Member

I would definitely get a structural engineer to look at it just to be sure

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2018, 07:14 PM   #10
Jrambo88
Registered Member

What is the best way to find a structural engineer?

Unread 03/25/2018, 10:00 PM   #11
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

I am also a contractor and buy your sketch I don’t foresee any issues. You have five 2x10 only spanning 8’ to carry that weight. It shouldn’t be an issue. Instead of a structural engineer you could even go to a lumber yard and talk with some of their people that deal with quotes. They have a good knowledge base of structural design and loads.

BoisBlancBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 04:46 AM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Totally fine.. No need for anything.. Enjoy...

Unread 03/26/2018, 11:25 AM   #13
NO3
In Memoriam

Ive got a 180 LOADED with huge LR. total weight prob around 1500lns i think the last time i dud calculations. Its in my morningroom with a crawlsoace underneath it.

The 16offcenter joists are running parallel with the tank...so im lucky to have one joist running underneath it.

I have the tank against an outside wall with prob one parallel joist.

>>>>The tank has been there full loaded now for about 6yrs. I keep looking at my floor toestrip molding to see if there is any sign on the floor DROOPING. No signs of any movement of the floor.

Im not a structual engineer but im pretty sure if your tank is tucked up against an outside wall the subfloor dispurses the weight across the 3/4" subflooring effectively. Corners to an outside wall are pretty sturdy and can take a lot if weight. Id be more concerned if it was in the midfle of the room.

You.msy want to call a place that sells WATERBEDS. im sure they know rheir stiff bc they woulld be luable for any 2nd floor waterbeds warping, drooping the floor

NO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 12:35 PM   #14
davocean
Registered Member

Well, waterbeds are a different animal, flexing is not such an issue as it is w/ glass for one, but two, the issue really is not whether or not it will hold, I have no doubt it will.

Really the issue is deflection, gradual sagging of joists over a span of time, especially being on a 2nd floor, this can result in problems, tile floors can crack and such should that happen.

I'm honestly wondering why that space was so overbuilt compared to typical floor framing.
It's almost like they expected something very heavy, like a jacuzzi tub or something.

To be perfectly honest, if it were my home I'd feel good as is, and I rarely say that this big on a 2nd floor,
Getting a confirmation from a structural engineer is almost more of a formality on this one, and of course being in the trade I'm used to shedding liability issues.

Not sure where to check in your area or where your area is, so other than google or asking around...

Unread 03/26/2018, 04:58 PM   #15
Jrambo88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Well, waterbeds are a different animal, flexing is not such an issue as it is w/ glass for one, but two, the issue really is not whether or not it will hold, I have no doubt it will.

Really the issue is deflection, gradual sagging of joists over a span of time, especially being on a 2nd floor, this can result in problems, tile floors can crack and such should that happen.

I'm honestly wondering why that space was so overbuilt compared to typical floor framing.
It's almost like they expected something very heavy, like a jacuzzi tub or something.

To be perfectly honest, if it were my home I'd feel good as is, and I rarely say that this big on a 2nd floor,
Getting a confirmation from a structural engineer is almost more of a formality on this one, and of course being in the trade I'm used to shedding liability issues.

Not sure where to check in your area or where your area is, so other than google or asking around...
Well technically it’s the first floor, the floor below it is the basement. The support beam is there I think for two reasons, first the steps are on the other side so I’d imagine that the floor joists needed that to rest on, and also it’s close to the center of the house. I’m not sure why the beams are tripled up but I’m not complaining.

Unread 03/26/2018, 05:57 PM   #16
Lsufan
Registered Member

I think u are fine too. One thing I would do is if u have to shim the tank to get it level, make sure u shim ontop of the floor joists. U don’t want to only shim the front & back because all of the weight would be on the subfloor then tranfered to the joists. U want the weight to be transferred directly to the floor joists. Being your joists are on 10” centers it isn’t as big of a deal, but I would still make sure to do it that way.

I’m also a contractor but I have lived in Louisiana my entire life, so I’m not familiar with basements at all. We don’t have many basements around here. Having said that, I agree with Dave, It seems it is overbuilt from a typical floor framing. I havnt seen many floor plans that I wouldn’t recommend some kind of extra support for a tank that size.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2018, 08:51 AM   #17
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
considering the risks, i would consult a licensed structural engineer. If you make a decent drawing of your floor joists and wall locations and take it to a structural engineer for a couple of hundred dollars you will get a professional analysis of your situation. You are looking at a load of 3500 lbs to 4000lbs.
+1

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote