Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/04/2013, 09:13 PM   #76
szwab
RC Mod

This thread has been moved to the current forum....

Current Tank Info: AGE 240 Flatback Hex
szwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2013, 09:52 PM   #77
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcardona View Post
Good catch, this design was done late at night. Hopefully I would have caught this during the build. BTY thanks for such a great deal on the pump.
I think you meant sump. Lolol you are welcome. I made the same mistake when I did my sump design early on in my thread build. Didn't want the same disaster happen to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Siri and Tapatalk.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2013, 10:00 PM   #78
bpcardona
Trying to hard

Well thank you for the bubble trap fix, but I did mean pump. I bought the Reeflo from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
I think you meant sump. Lolol you are welcome. I made the same mistake when I did my sump design early on in my thread build. Didn't want the same disaster happen to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Siri and Tapatalk.

Livestock:
Clowns - Blonde Naso Tang - Blue Hippo Tang - Diamond Watchman Goby - Molly Miller -
bpcardona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2013, 10:19 PM   #79
Reefneophyte007
Registered Member

Just wanted to chime in with regards to plumbing your QT tank with your main system. At some point,your QT is going to turn into a hospital tank when treating for diseases ie:ich. You will most likely be using some form of medication at some point (copper). This is just me speaking, but I would not want there to be even a slight chance of copper or any other medication getting mixed with the water of my main display. Nor would I want a chance of water from my QT that may be diseased to get mixed with my main display water.

I would keep it seperate.

Reefneophyte007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2013, 06:54 AM   #80
bpcardona
Trying to hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpuffer1 View Post
looks great keep the pics coming. if the house falls the tank stands!
Lol, I hope that I have over done it when it comes to the stands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunn View Post
Looks great so far! Tagging along.

A suggestion regarding the overflows: If you have the room for it, maybe screw a 1x4 rail (or 2x4) into the wall behind the tank. Then you could put your ladder beside the tank and lay a board from the ladder to the back rail, and give you something to lean on.

I only suggest this because I had a difficult to access overflow in my old 140g tank. It was next to impossible to get into it for cleaning. Over a number of years it ended up collecting loads of detritus, and other undesirable things I just couldn't get in to clean out.
I love this suggestion! I was concerned about my ability to reach the back of the tank. This help help a lot. I will give this one a strong consideration. Thanks for the input. Keep them coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefneophyte007 View Post
Just wanted to chime in with regards to plumbing your QT tank with your main system. At some point,your QT is going to turn into a hospital tank when treating for diseases ie:ich. You will most likely be using some form of medication at some point (copper). This is just me speaking, but I would not want there to be even a slight chance of copper or any other medication getting mixed with the water of my main display. Nor would I want a chance of water from my QT that may be diseased to get mixed with my main display water.

I would keep it seperate.
You make some strong points here. I would hate to hospitalize a fish, have him recover only to see the tank be destroyed due to meds. My current plan is to leave it separate, so unless I can think of a way to reduce contamination to zero likelyhood I will keep it this way.

Livestock:
Clowns - Blonde Naso Tang - Blue Hippo Tang - Diamond Watchman Goby - Molly Miller -
Unread 02/05/2013, 09:21 AM   #81
Newbie Aquarist

Quote:
Well thank you for the bubble trap fix, but I did mean pump. I bought the Reeflo from you.
OK brain fart. My bad.

Unread 02/05/2013, 09:53 AM   #82
bpcardona
Trying to hard

Amazon order number one is in:

Untitled by elitecoral, on Flickr

Livestock:
Unread 02/05/2013, 07:46 PM   #83
bpcardona
Trying to hard

Okay so today was another day of projects. I picked up two 55 gallon barrels for my mixing station. I was very happy with my find. The guy I met us a very nice, and offered me two of his barrel with removable lids. Score!!!! I made certain that they were food grade, and quickly loaded them up. I cleaned them up a bit once home then began building the stands. I realized I had enough room to install a utility sink, and ran to Home Depot; and what did I find. A utility sink on sale! Much of the day was spent driving to get these barrels but all and all a successful day.

Also I am washing the my sand out. Thanks to BobbyV I was able to get Tropical Eden flakes. Thanks again. This is great substrate! I washed this and dried it once I got it, but thought I better do it again. Glad I did. You can see and smell the gunk. Dilution, Dilution, Dilution will be the key to washing this sand out.

I am also looking into the Genesis Renew system. I have read reviews, watch the video, and i love it so far. Anyone have any bad experience with this system, or heard of anyone have trouble. From what I understand the customer service is top notch.

Before mixing the sand

After mixing it up

Livestock:
Unread 02/05/2013, 10:14 PM   #84
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Just checking... what was in those barrels before?

I like the sink!

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2013, 07:10 AM   #85
bpcardona
Trying to hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
Just checking... what was in those barrels before?

I like the sink!
I was told it was used to transport hops.

Livestock:
Unread 02/06/2013, 01:24 PM   #86
clownfishplace
Registered Member

How are you going to run the drain for the Utility sink? looks like a great build

Unread 02/06/2013, 03:28 PM   #87
bpcardona
Trying to hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishplace View Post
How are you going to run the drain for the Utility sink? looks like a great build
Just to the left of the barrels is the exterior wall. It is the short segment of block wall on each side of a garage door. I plan on knocking a hole in this to accommodate a 1-1.5" pipe. This will then turn straight down into a french drain. I will have a rock garden surrounding the area, so I don't have to worry about the salt. I don't plan on this sink handling a lot of water. Just will help keep the area clean.

Livestock:
Unread 02/06/2013, 08:54 PM   #88
bpcardona
Trying to hard

Amazon order number 2:

I got a 55 gallon drum dolly for my saltwater mixing barrel. I figured this would make the process much easier. It fits prefect, and wheels around great. I am going to love this when this barrel has a lot of water!

Untitled

Untitled

This also show the exterior wall I was referring too

Livestock:
Unread 02/06/2013, 09:35 PM   #89
JOL
Registered Member

great build, keep them coming.

Current Tank Info: 100 Gal. Island DT * 40 Gal Sump * Panda 100 (X-2) * T-5 (54 watt X 4) * Apex III * pH1 * pH2 * Salinity Probe * Dossers (2) * ATO * Custom over flow *
JOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2013, 10:30 PM   #90
bpcardona
Trying to hard

So I plan on seeding/curing my rock during this down time. It will take me some time to get the plumbing right, and the canopy built. So with that time I will turn dead phosphate rich rock into live phosphate free rock. I have not done this before so everyone check my plan.

1. Place dry rock in tub with lid filled with saltwater.
2. Add a heater set to 79-80 F and a power head.
3. Add some live rock to the top of the pile, and leave covered
4. Do weekly water changes, at 100%
5. Maintain this service for 6 weeks, and moniter phoaphtes

What do you think? I have started this process, but I think I want a larger bin. So I will be shopping this weekend.

Untitled

Untitled

Livestock:
Unread 02/06/2013, 10:54 PM   #91
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Hummm I do not think it is going to escape.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2013, 08:14 AM   #92
tgunn
Registered Member

Quote:
What do you think? I have started this process, but I think I want a larger bin. So I will be shopping this weekend.
You're basically "cooking" the rock (that was the term I heard for it a while back). So getting the bacteria to do all the cleaning out of the rocks for you.

Seems reasonable to me. I did that with some live rock I bought years ago. It had sat out of the owners tank for a while and was full of rotting stink. I cooked it for a good while and the bacterial action brought all sorts of detritus and crud out of the rocks.

Before changing the water, I would empty out the bin and vigorously shake and swish each rock in the old water. This helped work out more of the stuff from deep in the rocks.

Tyler

tgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2013, 08:23 AM   #93
Newbie Aquarist

Quote:
src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8390/8452668232_0a3479bb26_z.jpg" width="480" height="640" alt="Untitled">
[/CENTER]
Is this your way of keeping your rock hostage. "Get live or off to the muriatic bath you go!!"

Unread 02/07/2013, 12:18 PM   #94
bpcardona
Trying to hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgunn View Post
You're basically "cooking" the rock (that was the term I heard for it a while back). So getting the bacteria to do all the cleaning out of the rocks for you.

Seems reasonable to me. I did that with some live rock I bought years ago. It had sat out of the owners tank for a while and was full of rotting stink. I cooked it for a good while and the bacterial action brought all sorts of detritus and crud out of the rocks.

Before changing the water, I would empty out the bin and vigorously shake and swish each rock in the old water. This helped work out more of the stuff from deep in the rocks.

Tyler
Thanks for the tips. I understand it to be an easy process, but I know some people do it different. Some run light, skimmer, air stones ext.... I think I want no light to discourage any algae, and rid it of any inorganic phosphates that might be locked on. I will take you suggestion and "rinse" the rock off between water changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
Hummm I do not think it is going to escape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
Is this your way of keeping your rock hostage. "Get live or off to the muriatic bath you go!!"
I thought it was funny myself. I did this because the side were bowing, and I wanted the lid to fit. However if the neighbor start complaining about missing cats.........shhhhh

Livestock:
Unread 02/08/2013, 02:56 AM   #95
Doc_B
Registered Member

Looks great. What brand is the 300gal tank? I'm looking to start a build like yours.

Doc_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2013, 08:01 AM   #96
bpcardona
Trying to hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_B View Post
Looks great. What brand is the 300gal tank? I'm looking to start a build like yours.
The tank is acuatly a 220 gallon AGA. I listed it as a 300+ Sytem, becuase of the 55 gallon sump and 55 gallon frag. I will also have a large QT tank. All together this will be over 300.

In regards to 300 gallons displays, I love the 300 DD. Mairneland has a great one that I have seen in action and was impressed. BoddyV has this tank and is currently doing a build. You should check his out as well. Thanks for following.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2193466

Livestock:
Unread 02/08/2013, 01:38 PM   #97
bpcardona
Trying to hard

Correction: it is a 210 AGA/aqueon

Livestock:
Unread 02/09/2013, 08:18 PM   #98
likefish
Registered Member

well done

very impressive build..!

Quick question with the sump / fram tank in garage. What is you your plan for controlling the water temp with the summer and winter extreams? Heating seems easier than cooling when it gets silly hot in the summer.

would love to build a "play system" in my garage but cooling is my limiting factor. (not interested in a chiller or adding AC to the garage)

Curious to hear you plan.

Keep the posts coming, looking good!

likefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2013, 08:55 PM   #99
bpcardona
Trying to hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by likefish View Post
very impressive build..!

Quick question with the sump / fram tank in garage. What is you your plan for controlling the water temp with the summer and winter extreams? Heating seems easier than cooling when it gets silly hot in the summer.

would love to build a "play system" in my garage but cooling is my limiting factor. (not interested in a chiller or adding AC to the garage)

Curious to hear you plan.

Keep the posts coming, looking good!

Chiller is going to be a must. You can find used ones on here all the time. What size system are you wanting as a "play"

Livestock:
Unread 02/11/2013, 08:07 AM   #100
likefish
Registered Member

ive got lots of room. I was thinking 100-200 gal.

I am sooooo scared to commit to a chiller in fear of knowing that the life of everything in my system is dependent on that one piece of equipment.

I even considered framing out a fish room and using a window shaker AC unit and vent fan. That way if anything went bad at least its in an insulated room and might maintain for a while. My garage gets HOT in the summer

likefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, build, fish room, large, reef