Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/23/2017, 07:32 AM   #1
Lizard333
Premium Member

Are closed loop systems still used?

I recently acquired a 180 gallon glass tank. 48W, 36D, 24T, and it has been drilled for an open loop system, and a closed loop system. My searches don't bring up very much current setups using the closed loop systems, so I am wondering if they are still used. I bought this tank not knowing how it was drilled, I had planned on using the Bean animal overflow system, and I think i still can, getting creative with using the existing holes. This would still leave me part of the closed loop system to either use in some manner, or block it off some way.

On another note, if I can use the CL sytem, how do you keep the intake to it clean? Do you regularly have to take it apart and clean it?

Ill attach some pics on the top and bottom of the tank.

Any help would be appreciated, up till now my experiance in saltwater tanks has been my current 28G JBJ, my prevouis 24 gallon Cube, and a 3 gallon pico sea horse tank. Before saltwater, I had a 125 gallon freshwater cichlid tank, but that tank used canister filters.

Thanks in advance!!

Doug

Current Tank Info: 28 gallon JBJ, new 160....
Lizard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2017, 07:35 AM   #2
Lizard333
Premium Member

Unread 07/23/2017, 07:46 AM   #3
Lizard333
Premium Member

This is what I was thinking. I am going to have to plumb the extra pipe needed for the Bean Animal Overflow into the overflow box, an then tank the two returns, and plump them over to the back of the tank and up to provide the return, and get them up high enough, to limit the amount of water that will flow back into my sump if I have loose my return pump. I would like to avoid using a back-flow device, as I am concerned they may fail, hence the reason I am doing the Bean animal overflow, as it provides the most amount contingencies.

Again, this all seems clear to me, but if you need more information, please let me know.

Unread 07/23/2017, 08:05 AM   #4
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

How are you planning on pulling using that 3rd pipe for the Bean Animal since only 2 of the bulkheads are in the overflow?

That said I would not use any of those as a "return" you are asking for problems unless you bring your return pipe all the way to the top of the tank. Just use them all for a closed loop, then bring your return over the top of the tank from the outside.

Unread 07/23/2017, 08:23 AM   #5
Lizard333
Premium Member

I planned on pipping the the third pipe into the overflow, through the acrylic, at the base of the overflow. I also planned on piping the two return lines over to back of the tank, where the overflow is, and straight up, to have the returns at the top of the tank.

Unread 07/23/2017, 08:24 AM   #6
Lizard333
Premium Member

This is the diameters of the holes cut in the glass.

Unread 07/23/2017, 10:31 AM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Any holes/bulkheads 'open' to the full volume of the tank must be used as a closed loop. Hard to see much rhyme or reason to all those holes. Also, keep in mind that if any of those bulkheads start to leak there's no way to fix them short of draining the tank (which is why I don't do bottom holes anymore). And, yes, any suction screens will need periodic maintenance so make them easily accessible.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2017, 03:00 PM   #8
marinelife
Registered Member

I love my closed loop but would never have them on the bottom. My intakes are halfway up the one end of the tank. Only down side for me was my outputs come in from the top because I added the closed loop after the tank had been up and running for several years.

My buddy had a tank with bulkheads in the bottom for a closed loop and never had an issue. The tank ran for years but you just have to keep in mind you may have to drain the tank if an issue would arise.

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2017, 08:57 PM   #9
Lizard333
Premium Member

So let's say I want to eliminate the three holes on the left side, what would be the best method of doing this??

Unread 07/24/2017, 07:28 AM   #10
dave.m
Registered Member

Best bet is to remove the plumbing and get small scraps of glass the same thickness as the panes and silicone these over the holes on the inside. A minimum overlap of two inches would be safest. If you can, get glass plugs to fill the holes and silicone these in, as well.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2017, 09:52 AM   #11
marinelife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Best bet is to remove the plumbing and get small scraps of glass the same thickness as the panes and silicone these over the holes on the inside. A minimum overlap of two inches would be safest. If you can, get glass plugs to fill the holes and silicone these in, as well.

Dave.M
Agree or just use the holes and take the risk. The extra flow would be great!

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2017, 01:43 PM   #12
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I've patched over holes in a glass tank. It's an almost permanent fix - patches are very difficult to remove should you wish to.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 07/24/2017, 01:44 PM   #13
Lizard333
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinelife View Post
Agree or just use the holes and take the risk. The extra flow would be great!

What are the risks when using a closed loop??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Unread 07/24/2017, 01:58 PM   #14
dave.m
Registered Member

The risks are that the bulkheads through the pane may leak if they're not fastened securely enough. Then again, if you over-tighten them they may crack, and then you've got a leak, again. Or your pipes that connect to the bulkheads may not be tight enough, and then they may leak. Or the pipes that connect to the bulkheads might get knocked hard, loosening the bulkheads, and then you've got a leak... again. I think you get the picture.

When set up well and carefully closed loops can last a long time. People don't use them as often out of worry but that doesn't necessarily mean any of those things will ever happen. Remember, many tanks have an inside overflow with bulkheads through the tank bottom that all pose the same risks and those seldom have problems, so I wouldn't especially worry about through the back connections if you have a safe and stable set-up for your tank.

Dave.M

Unread 07/24/2017, 09:46 PM   #15
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Bulkheads at the bottom of the overflow aren't 'open' to the full volume of the tank though and reseating one does not necessitate fully draining the tank (just draining the overflow). My current closed loop has suction and returns along the top if the back panel.

Unread 07/25/2017, 11:58 AM   #16
Mishri
Registered Member

Yeah.. you can still use closed loops.. modern pumps are powerful enough and move enough water many people stopped using them. as proper pump placement and rock work wont leave you with too many dead spots. Since it's already there i'd probably use it.

Flagstaff, AZ is where I was living when I signed up to this site back in 2004. I used to go to the aquarium center on central all the time, one of the guys on staff pointed me to this site back then. I guess they closed down awhile ago.. I hope they still have a good place for fish, that one was pretty nice. They had one guy that really knew his stuff, he had an sps tank.

Unread 07/25/2017, 02:55 PM   #17
dave.m
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore
Bulkheads at the bottom of the overflow aren't 'open' to the full volume of the tank though and reseating one does not necessitate fully draining the tank (just draining the overflow).
True, but my point is that you don't need to automatically freak out just because there are bulkheads through the glass. In a well set-up system they can be an effective way to move water about without having to look at ugly powerheads in the tank. You could give them a test with freshwater as you start setting up the tank and see if they work for you. If not: patch away.

Dave.M

Unread 07/25/2017, 10:46 PM   #18
Lizard333
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishri View Post
Yeah.. you can still use closed loops.. modern pumps are powerful enough and move enough water many people stopped using them. as proper pump placement and rock work wont leave you with too many dead spots. Since it's already there i'd probably use it.

Flagstaff, AZ is where I was living when I signed up to this site back in 2004. I used to go to the aquarium center on central all the time, one of the guys on staff pointed me to this site back then. I guess they closed down awhile ago.. I hope they still have a good place for fish, that one was pretty nice. They had one guy that really knew his stuff, he had an sps tank.

The only place left locally is Petco. I've been heading to phx for my corals and fish. Not ideal. The last local fish store closed about a year ago.

Unread 07/26/2017, 08:27 AM   #19
d-man
Registered Member

The two 2.5" holes are for the drains to the closed loop and the smaller 1.75" are the returns from the CL I would use it as set up. Regardless if they are capped or not they are at risk of a gasket leak, so why not just use it. It will eliminate power heads and you could use 2 low energy pumps to still get random currents.
Yes, you need to clean the intake pipes sporadically to keep flow well, but it also depends on how you make the intake pipe. A simple pvc pipe with top strainer will require more frequent cleanings than a whole pipe with slits or holes drilled in it sucking in way more and less likely to clog

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 10:11 AM   #20
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

I have only used closed loops since the 80's on my builds. Never had a leak knock on wood I enjoy setting up custom flow areas. Many different ways to create flow now days so research and seeing set ups really helps. Good Luck!

Aquatron is offline   Reply With Quote