Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/15/2017, 01:50 PM   #26
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsequor View Post
But don't plan your tanks around catch and move unless you really have the resources in place already, please please please
Trying to catch a fish in a reef tank, particularly a large tang that probably won't fit in a trap, is as close to impossible as you can get. And tearing down your rock work, with encrusted corals is going to be a nightmare.

Just for practice, stick a net in the tank and see how close you can get to a fish. The LFS can do it because they don't put fish in with enough rock work to provide hiding spaces.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2017, 02:26 PM   #27
hkgar
Registered Member

Just sitting here gazing at my tank and thinking.
We (reefers) may be in their line of sight. They got the elephants out of the circus and rumor has it they (not sure who "they" are) will be going after zoos next.

To some any captivity is wrong, and on a certain level they may be right. People do seem to enjoy keeping animals in captivity. Heck I grew up on a lake and was always capturing frogs and turtles for my amusement, and of course I have always had dogs and/or cats around.

When we do take an animal out of its natural habitat we have an obligation to provide as good a habitat for them as we can. Please respect the opinion of those who, by experience, study and knowledge, make the MINIMUM tank size recommendations.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2017, 06:30 PM   #28
exsequor
Registered Member

Oh I agree completely. Mine was a petco rescue I couldn't help. Verge of death, tiny, and on sale fore $40+tax. Hey, he's alive and I'm moving within a couple years anyway and I have the system for him with my 150g in my living room and the 220g i have in storage for my future new house.

So he's not getting abused by my behavior, just inconvenienced. He likes his life right now, happy fish.

exsequor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2017, 09:27 PM   #29
DasCamel
Registered Member

Also, for open swimmer tangs, don't forget high flow. My powder blue would have current surfed for hours, happy as a clam. Anyway, I have a blue tang in QT. Going into 8'....

It just looks dumb when a fish is too long/big compared to the tank. Tons of restaurants around here do it, fish health aside, not very aesthetic.

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
DasCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2017, 10:21 PM   #30
Pelagic_e36
Registered Member

Does this information apply to mimic tangs, just curious?

Pelagic_e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2017, 01:18 PM   #31
DasCamel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic_e36 View Post
Does this information apply to mimic tangs, just curious?
Not sure about mimic tangs, never owned one. Guess would be good flow, less than a Powder.

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
DasCamel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dory, marine, reef, saltwater, tang