Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2018, 10:04 AM   #1
patrickpernell
Registered Member

Saltwater Mixing Problems

I have been mixing my own saltwater for quite some time now. I have my own RO/DI system and make my own water. I have one built in TDS meter and two hand held ones that are both calibrated correctly. All three indicate 0 TDS.

The salt I have began using (I switched from a different Red Sea Salt as recommended by LFS) is a Red Sea Salt, I attached a picture of the bucket for identification purposes.

My problem is when I make the water mix, I always get this brownish film that forms on the surface of the trash can (brand new can, only used for making water) and on the power heads that I use to stir the water. I use three power heads and the trash can is kept inside an air conditioned building normally in the 70s.

I always mix the water to 1.026, so I know I am not using too much or too little salt mix.

What can be causing this? Any recommendations on a different (better) salt mix?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 111.jpg (77.4 KB, 39 views)
patrickpernell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2018, 10:32 AM   #2
AlSimmons
Registered Member

What your seeing might just be Calcium precipitate. It's kind of unsightly, but it's really nothing to worry about.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2018, 01:27 PM   #3
homer1475
Registered Member

I wonder if it's the same brown crud that you see when mixing RC? I've read it's an anticaking agent, and is totally fine.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2018, 03:42 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I use RED SEA PRO, same as yours but the mixed reef formula, never seen this before in the years I have used it.

Are you sure that your trash can is clean. I clean mine every week, mix only what I need for the weekly change and top off, then rinse and dry the trash can. I found if I don't do this after a month or so, I get a light brownish build up on the trash can and TDS goes to 7-9.

Just a thought, a good salt should mix clean.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2018, 04:12 PM   #5
ajoe
Registered Member

When you say "can" exactly what type of "can" are you using to mix with?

ajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2018, 04:17 PM   #6
patrickpernell
Registered Member

I bought a brand new 20 gallon brute trash can used only for the purpose of making salt water. I only make 10 gallons at a time.

Unread 05/27/2018, 04:17 PM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoe View Post
v

Got ya, bad choice of words, brute plastic container.....sorry

Unread 05/27/2018, 04:18 PM   #8
patrickpernell
Registered Member

I clean it after each use. Is there anything I should be doing special to clean?

Unread 05/27/2018, 04:20 PM   #9
ajoe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickpernell View Post
I bought a brand new 20 gallon brute trash can used only for the purpose of making salt water. I only make 10 gallons at a time.
Great. Just wanted to be sure. Trying to help.

Unread 05/27/2018, 04:21 PM   #10
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Are you sure that your trash can is clean. I clean mine every week, mix only what I need for the weekly change and top off, then rinse and dry the trash can. I found if I don't do this after a month or so, I get a light brownish build up on the trash can and TDS goes to 7-9.

This kind of defeats the purpose of having a mixing station. I mix up 50G at a time, and only use 10G a week. 50G is one bag in a 200G box of IO. I haven't cleaned my barrel in over a year. Do a google search on "RC brown crud", you'll find many threads about it.

Quote:
Just a thought, a good salt should mix clean.
By your own words, you do not have a "clean" salt then if your cleaning your mixing barrel every time you use it(see above quote about cleaning the barrel after every mix)..

Quote:

You can clearly see in his picture they are grey brute cans.

Again do a google search, it's an anti caking agent added to the salt and is completely harmless. I hated cleaning my mixing barrel because of it, so I switched to a salt that doesn't have it.

Unread 05/27/2018, 04:22 PM   #11
ajoe
Registered Member

I never clean my mixing station. I don't think too many people actually do. Not necessary.

Unread 05/27/2018, 04:24 PM   #12
homer1475
Registered Member

Sorry, everyone else posted as I was typing my post out......

Unread 05/27/2018, 04:25 PM   #13
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Again do a google search, it's an anti caking agent added to the salt and is completely harmless. I hated cleaning my mixing barrel because of it, so I switched to a salt that doesn't have it.
Just out of curiosity is that anti caking agent known to stick to powerheads, much like precipitate does? I'm assuming this is due to the heat they put off.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2018, 04:34 PM   #14
homer1475
Registered Member

Not sure to be honest. Never read too much into it.

I didn't stop using RC because of it, but rather for how it never mixes up with consistent parameters.

Unread 05/28/2018, 08:03 AM   #15
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Like I said, if you don't rinse out your mixing station over time your TDS will increase and that is counter productive. Mixing only what I need means the mix is clean, over time, precipitation will occur, and your numbers will drop as the elements precipitate out.

I am not a scientist but I can measure TDS and see over time, the scum film on the inside of the bucket......why would I want this in my DT.....brown stuff.....not in my DT....

I can't speak for other salts but mine will mix up clean and clear in about 2 hours.

I used to mix up 50g before I found out that TDS was increasing every week.

TDS numbers were as follows and before mix:
Day 1-7......0
Day 8-14......6
Day 15-21......9
Day 30......14

This is why I changed to only mixing up the amount required before changes.
It is virtually no more work, than mixing up a months worth, but the RESULT, deifinately sold me......ZERO algae.....ZERO cyno.....and no CUC....and the ranges go in on PAR....

Unread 05/28/2018, 10:50 AM   #16
homer1475
Registered Member

You do realize that dust particles will be attracted to RO/DI? The rise in TDS is completely normal for RO/DI that is not kept air tight.

I store my RO/DI in another brute, and over the course of a few weeks it will rise, but has not had any effect on my tank.

They all mix up clean and clear. Store your NSW a few days and it will develop that brown residue. While I'm not positive, I do believe they all have that scum to some degree when the water is stored, it's just that IORC has more then others and is quite noticeable.

Unread 05/28/2018, 11:31 AM   #17
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Agreed.
I am not suggesting anyone should follow this regime, it's just for me as once TDS starts to go above 5, over 4 weekly changes, I start to notice a bit of algae and some brown dust on my sand.

I am trying to reduce everywhere I can so that the mix going in is a pure as reasonably possible and that precipitation is kept to the bare minimum.

Since mixing weekly, and rinsing bucket, using in 24 hours, I have no scum at all on the sides. Maybe not important to some, but to me, some of that must end up in the DT.

Now, each and every time I go to mix I start with 0 TDS. This is important to me.

Everyone has a different technique, they all work.

Unread 05/28/2018, 11:34 AM   #18
Rover88
Registered Member

I mix and store my saltwater in a ten gallon aquarium with no lights, it was just easier.

After 3-4 days of sitting, it'll develop a brown coat on the glass. Looks kinda like diatoms, but its not.

Doesn't seem to hurt anything. I wipe it down once I've used the saltwater for a WC.

Instant ocean reef crystals.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2018, 11:58 AM   #19
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Everyone has a different technique, they all work.

Agreed.

Unread 05/28/2018, 12:47 PM   #20
tazzy695
Registered Member

Quote:
Like I said, if you don't rinse out your mixing station over time your TDS will increase and that is counter productive. Mixing only what I need means the mix is clean, over time, precipitation will occur, and your numbers will drop as the elements precipitate out.

I am not a scientist but I can measure TDS and see over time, the scum film on the inside of the bucket......why would I want this in my DT.....brown stuff.....not in my DT....

I can't speak for other salts but mine will mix up clean and clear in about 2 hours.

Day 1-7......0
Day 8-14......6
Day 15-21......9
Day 30......14

It is virtually no more work, than mixing up a months worth, but the RESULT, deifinately sold me......ZERO algae.....ZERO cyno.....and no CUC....and the ranges go in on PAR....
How are u measuring tds in mixed saltwater as the tds read should be off the chart

If u are measuring this on stored rodi then only way to keep the tds from rising would be to keep it in air tight container and also be sure u have 0 tds in the ro water going in

Most of us will have up to 50 tds the first gallon or two out of the ro system

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tazzy695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2018, 04:03 PM   #21
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

On Thursday, I make 35 litres of RODI. (25L I need to make SW and 10 I need for ATO bucket) At this point I measure TDS of the RODI and it will be 0.
On Friday, I move 25 litres to my mixing bucket, put in my salt, and mix with powerhead for 24 hours.
On Saturday, I use all 25L for my 10% weekly water change, the other 10L goes to ATO bucket.
After use, both buckets are rinsed and towel dried.

I follow this process, week after week, for 2 years now and I am seeing the benefits. Zero algae, stunning corals both in colour and growth, more than ever before in my 25 years as a reef keeper.
We have a moderate mixed reef with about 60 corals in a 70g. Each and every one extends and looks very healthy, have not lost anything in 2 years so far.

Personally, I would toss RODI water that is not 0 TDS, but that's just my way. I have found even the slightest TDS reading over time builds in my system and assists algae growth.

For me, it was the only way I could keep algae from growing, as I really have little use for CUC.
Gone is the GHA and slime removers, gone is the scrubbing, just clean the glass, the filters, the skim container, and the water change. It takes about an hour, once a week, then I do not touch it until the following week.

I know many think this is a waste of time, but I am convinced the process works for me, simply just the opinion of one reefer.

Last edited by Uncle99; 05/28/2018 at 04:16 PM.
Unread 05/29/2018, 03:00 AM   #22
ajoe
Registered Member

"it's an anti caking agent added to the salt and is completely harmless"

Unread 05/29/2018, 06:14 AM   #23
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
"it's an anti caking agent added to the salt and is completely harmless"
Anything registering TDS is not going in my DT.
Feel free to put it in yours.

Unread 05/29/2018, 02:31 PM   #24
daninflipflops
In Memoriam

i think people in this thread are a bit confused. TDS is just total dissolved solids...as long as you RO/DI water coming out of your unit is around 0 you are fine. dont measure it once its in your brute can. yeah, your TDS are going to increase since its dissolving any remaining dried up salt from your last mixing. zero problems guys.

daninflipflops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2018, 02:34 PM   #25
daninflipflops
In Memoriam

Quote:

Day 1-7......0
Day 8-14......6
Day 15-21......9
Day 30......14

seems like a lot of unnecessary work. you are basically cleaning your container of left over salt mix...to then...add more salt mix. thats all the TDS results are showing, you have a teeny tiny amount of salt residue in the container...why is that a bad thing. you tested you water before it went in and its zero.

daninflipflops is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saltwater