Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/24/2017, 10:03 AM   #1
Kaiser699a
Registered Member

Tang poop is liquid - normal or not?

I got a 2 spot bristletooth a few weeks ago. It has been through TTM and is now in QT and I have given him 1 dose of Paraguard. He also had 2 treatments with prazi while in TTM. He is a bit shy always hiding when I approach the tank and he is eating really well. He gobbles down Formula 2 flake, formula 1 pellets, Vitalis algae flakes and he grazes over the bottom glass of the QT. My concern at this point is that his poop is totally liquid, no solid at all. Should I be worried about this and treat somehow or should I leave him be and keep feeding for now?

180g (US) DT with 30g (US) sump. Softies and LPS. Red Fire Fish, Royal Gramma, 2x Ocellaris Clowns, 2 Spot Tang, 4x Green Chromis, Lyretail Anthias, One Spot Foxface, 2x Azure Damsels, Green Clown Gob
Kaiser699a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 08:08 AM   #2
SAT
Registered Member

Normal tang poop has no real structure to it and will disintegrate rapidly in the water. I'm not sure if you would consider that to be "liquid" or not.

If he otherwise looks good, I would monitor the situation for a while. If you don't determine he's "normal" after a few more days, I suggest treating for intestinal problems with a medicated food such as "Focus" or "Hex Shield".

Current Tank Info: 300G Caribbean biotype reef set up in 2003.
SAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 01:34 PM   #3
Jdub968
Registered Member

+1 with bellow however you metroplex with focus this is the go to combo for anerobic parasites follow the directions on the metroplex box

Jdub968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 05:39 AM   #4
Kaiser699a
Registered Member

Ok, I would agree the consistency is no real structure and disintegrates straight away in the water column. I just think it looks like liquid dispersing in the flow. It's good to hear this is probably normal and I will keep a good watch on him.
If he has an anaerobic parasite how would I spot that? He swims with fast sharp motion sometimes but I put that down to him being skittish in the bare QT.

180g (US) DT with 30g (US) sump. Softies and LPS. Red Fire Fish, Royal Gramma, 2x Ocellaris Clowns, 2 Spot Tang, 4x Green Chromis, Lyretail Anthias, One Spot Foxface, 2x Azure Damsels, Green Clown Gob
Unread 09/26/2017, 09:57 AM   #5
Jdub968
Registered Member

Generally white stringy poop. Keep in mind it won't hurt to feed metroplex and focus just in case.

Jdub968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 03:06 PM   #6
Kaiser699a
Registered Member

Ok he definitely does not have white stringy poop. The colour is brownish red and since I am feeding mainly Formula 2 flake that makes sense. No stringyness either.