Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2018, 09:26 PM   #1
OrionN
Moved on

Sailfin Fairy Wrasse, a new species

I have the opportunity to purchase this very beautiful wrasse, but cannot come up with the IF for him. Can anybody help?
This is not my picture but the wrasse is the same with the brilliant blue chest, whitish lower body with a brilliant fuchsia anal fin.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 09:35 PM   #2
cFloor
Registered Member

I could be wrong, but I believe this is a hybrid. I had one that never showed his blue chest, only when startled or stressed.

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 09:52 PM   #3
OrionN
Moved on

FWIW, he was sold to me as C. tonozukai.
The fuchsia anal fin and brilliant iridescence blue throat, even when not flashing, in addition to him swimming about and eating cause me to chance the buy without completely ID the species.
When through and look at the pictures of all the fairy wrasses at fishbase.org. The only species that is somewhat close is C. tonozukai.

cFloor,
Maybe your are right, or local variance of Tono's Fairy Wrasse. Did your wrasse only show blue when stressed? No blue when he is happy?

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip

Last edited by OrionN; 01/18/2018 at 09:57 PM.
Unread 01/18/2018, 10:05 PM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

The picture from the Fairy Wrasse Article by Dr. Hirozuki Tanaka back in 2006. He ID this wrasse as a New species, no name yet. I was hoping that we have a name for this species by now.

Unread 01/18/2018, 10:43 PM   #5
OrionN
Moved on

An article specific about this species of Fairy Wrasse "Sailfin Fairy Wrasse" as named by Scott Michael, but no scientific name

https://reefs.com/2016/06/28/mysteri...d-philippines/

Last edited by OrionN; 01/18/2018 at 10:54 PM.
Unread 01/19/2018, 07:57 AM   #6
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

These were first offered widely about a year and a half ago. They tend to lose the blue chin in captivity just a FYI.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 12:59 PM   #7
OrionN
Moved on

Apparently a fairly easy wrasse to keep but aggressive.
Dmorty217,
Did you ever get one? How did you like it? Any experiences to share?

Unread 01/19/2018, 01:38 PM   #8
OrionN
Moved on

Here is my Very first Fairy Wrasse. How can I not get him? Please excuse my dirty tank.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fairy Wrasse2018011902.jpg (77.2 KB, 1381 views)
File Type: jpg Fairy Wrasse2018011901.jpg (96.4 KB, 815 views)

Unread 01/19/2018, 05:09 PM   #9
Cliving1
Registered Member

Dirty tank aside.... those wrasse look awesome!

Nice flame angel too

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 08:12 PM   #10
d-man
Registered Member

They lose their color in most tanks.

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 09:26 AM   #11
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-man View Post
They lose their color in most tanks.
Thanks. I plan to keep him in my 320 with a few females of either this species or closely related species. I also will try to keep this group with another group of Flasher wrasse of yet to be determine species. I am trying to see if I can give him enough stimulation to keep his coloration.
It seem like I am going to put the Flasher wrasses in first, then the Sailfin females, and this male in shortly after the female, within days as soon as they are comfortable.

Anybody keep this wrasse long term?

Unread 01/20/2018, 01:00 PM   #12
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliving1 View Post
Dirty tank aside.... those wrasse look awesome!

Nice flame angel too
I would agree...

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 11:51 PM   #13
JTJreef
Registered Member

Beautiful, I think identification is in the works right now to give this fish a name. I’ve liked them since I first saw the pictures. Worried about aggression though. Hope he does well for you! Cover even the smallest holes. They will find them and jump out

JTJreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 06:28 AM   #14
OrionN
Moved on

More search show that this wrasse is a relatively hardy wrasse, easy to keep but his is on the aggressive side as far as Fairy Wrasse is concern. One well know wrasse, evolved, put this species on the aggressive at about the same level as Scott's Fairy Wrasse. Will see how he will do on my tank. Eventually I may put him in my 320. However, if he is an aggressive one, I may just leave him in my 65 with the flame angels.

Some information on this Species on this thread:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2589114

Unread 01/23/2018, 09:24 AM   #15
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Been seeing a lot of these blue throat sailfin wrasses recently. Started out in the $200 range, more recently I saw them for $125. Tempted .....

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 04:22 PM   #16
OrionN
Moved on

I did not see the wrasse flash at all yesterday. He is eating well, both frozen and flakes. He seem to be very hardy and robust. Since most people indicated that they loose color after a while, I decided to tape a mirror at the end of the tank for a time. He flashed at his image multiple time. The color got noticeably darker when he flashes.
I think I will tape the mirror on the tank several hours a day. Hopefully this will keep him from loosing color. I update and let you guys know if this work or not.

Anybody keep this wrasse with other fairy or flasher wrasses? in a smallish (65 gal) or larger 300+ tanks?

Unread 01/24/2018, 06:48 AM   #17
OrionN
Moved on

I would really love for people who know about, or keep this wrasse to post and give me some pointers. First hand experiences are especially welcome.
What I found so far is that this wrasse is typical in behavior and aggressiveness "similar to fairy wrasses in the Whipfin/Tono's complex" which does not help me a great because I never keep fairy wrasse before.
In my search I got to a compatible chart by Hunter (evolved). According to this chart, he likely not tolerate any other flasher or fairy wrasse. I hope this may not hold true in a 320 gal tank, because I think the the Wrasse Bug have bite me and I like very much to have more than ONE single fairy wrasse in my tank.
In a sense, it seem like I am looking for some one to post that "Yes, you can keep him with 10 other wrasses" . I see this type of posting a lot, just never though that I would be one of the one who is doing it.
On the other hand, I have more than 1 tank, and may just keep this one where he is right now, use a mirror to keep his color (I hope) and plan for a few more docile but extremely beautiful new wrasses in my 320 DT.

Unread 01/24/2018, 09:24 AM   #18
OrionN
Moved on

He is flashing at his image regularly. I think I will inly leave the mirror on for about 3 hrs each day. Not only him but my Flame angel pair and my Yellow Tang are reacting to the mirror also.
In thin tank (65 gal) I also have 2 Maganifica anemones and a Gigantea anemone. Will see how well he is at avoid get eaten by my Gigantea. I am not too worry about my Magnifica, but Gigantea can be a dangerous fish eater. My 320 DT will have a lot of carpets, both Haddoni and Gigantea. If they cannot avoid these carpets, then I will have to set up my 120 just to keep a few Fairy and Flasher wrasses

Unread 01/24/2018, 11:47 AM   #19
Cliving1
Registered Member

My coral beauty and possum wrasse manage to avoid my haddoni (6-10in diameter) which covers a large portion of my IM40. Honesty I sit there and watch them dance around the edges and it freaks me out, they get soooo close to it but never seem to touch it. I always walk up to the tank slowly now because I dont want anyone to spook, and make a wrong course change into the haddoni.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 02:43 PM   #20
OrionN
Moved on

My Blue throat Wrasse pectorali fin on the R touch my blue Gigantea just now. He was stony enough to escaped with one of the Gigantea tentacle hanging on him. Hope that teach him to stay away.

Unread 01/24/2018, 04:32 PM   #21
MuShu
Registered Member

Not related to this particular wrasse, but I have several male McCosker's flasher wrasses in my 55 and they get along. They each have their own territory and flash regularly. That may be a good one to add to keep him bright? It's hard to find female McCosker's in the hobby.

MuShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 06:22 PM   #22
OrionN
Moved on

From what read, the blue throat will kill McCosker's wrasse in small tank. Large 300+ tanks maybe. In a 65 gal here he is in right now, he unlikely tolerate another Flasher or Fairy wrasse.

Unread 01/24/2018, 07:58 PM   #23
OrionN
Moved on

My wrasse doing very well, quite active, eating well and very colorful. Today e brushed against the Gigantea and got slightly stung on the pectoral fin on the L side. Any more contact and the Gigantea probably kill him. I hope he is a fast learner and really learn from this. Here are picture of him today and one with the Gigantea tentacle stick to the Pectoral fin on the L. The anemone in the picture is one of my two Magnifica in this tank, in addition to the Gigantea.

Gigantea Tentacle on L side

Today picture, very colorful even when not flashing

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SailfinFW2018012401.jpg (75.8 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg SailfinFW2018012402.jpg (72.0 KB, 348 views)

Unread 02/09/2018, 04:22 PM   #24
OrionN
Moved on

Picture of him just now flashing his reflection. The Yellow tang is doing the same.
He is getting fat, really like a torpedo.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sailfin Feiry Wrasse 2018020901.jpg (41.0 KB, 315 views)

Last edited by OrionN; 02/09/2018 at 05:27 PM.
Unread 02/09/2018, 05:22 PM   #25
theaalex
Registered Member

Beautiful wrasse!

theaalex is offline   Reply With Quote