Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/08/2021, 12:34 PM   #1801
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn. It is a good start. I worry most the first night. As I descended the stairs this morning, I kept repeating "don't be dead, don't be dead".

On deciding a fish's sex, I often just go on a feeling. Sometimes on researching, I find distinguishing characteristics that help me sex a fish. For example Phyllis the File Fish did or didn't have little bristles at the base of her tail - I can't remember which now. This allowed me to accurately sex her. Other times, with a harem of Grammas for example, one emerges as 'Big Daddy' and the rest stay female. With the Barnacle Blennies, the mating behavior gave it away. The males did their whack-a-mole dance and turned darker, while the female would choose one (or two) to pay a visit.

Right now I'm leaning towards female for the new Tomini. I've got a little more research to do, as I think I remember there may be some distinguishing characteristic. If not, she will be called Scarlett.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2021, 12:34 PM   #1802
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Alright, a new fish! Well played!

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2021, 01:16 PM   #1803
ThePurple12
Registered Member

How's the Hypnea/Gracilaria doing? Mine is coloring up faster under higher light than in lower light (I split the bush into multiple pieces).

Unread 02/08/2021, 01:30 PM   #1804
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's surprising. The one I have in dimmer light has better coloring. I really don't think we have the same plant. Could you post a pic of yours? Also I'm not seeing much, if any difference in coloring after Iron dosing. I got two different brands, so I'll try the other one next. I have noticed that after I adjusted the light to be brighter at the left edge of the patch reef, that the Botriocladia has lost some it's color. I did it for the new Galaxaura, which is also getting a little paler. So I may move one or two into dimmer lighting to see if that helps. The (maybe) Hypnea does appear to be showing a little more color, with the brighter light. I'm still not sure it isn't Gracialria.

Unread 02/08/2021, 01:54 PM   #1805
ThePurple12
Registered Member

I tried taking pics, but then scrapped them as they look nothing like they do real life. Basically the clump directly under the light has started to develop some blue in its tips, and the ones in lower light haven't changed much since I got them.

Well, on second thought, here's a picture of the Hypnea receiving high light. The colors aren't accurate, but maybe you can compare the structure? Looking at a pic you posted a while ago, I'm not sure we have the same algae. [IMG][/IMG]

Unread 02/08/2021, 05:24 PM   #1806
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yeah, the more I look at what I've got, the less I think it's Hypnea. Thanks for the pic!

Unread 02/08/2021, 07:54 PM   #1807
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Well, I didn't find anything online that would help me sex the Tomini. So Scarlet it is!

One thing I read that does concern me is that they can be aggressive towards fish added after them, especially other tangs. So if I decide to get a Hippo, I'd need to add it first, or add them at the same time. That shouldn't be a problem with multiple QTs. At least they are different colors and shapes. Maybe a little diet overlap, but not much. So I think the two could coexist, with a little finesse. It would be pretty cool to have these two tangs in my tank. Add a harem of Grammas and I'd be all set with fish. Probably…

I've been feeding her all manner of veggie flakes and pellets today. She seems to like all of them. I watched her do her natural feeding style of 'kissing' the tank bottom as well, which is encouraging. She looks to be in excellent condition. It so nice to get a new fish in such good shape. Score one for the LFS!

Unread 02/09/2021, 06:09 AM   #1808
vlangel
Registered Member

O my goodness, I know that feeling of checking on a brand new fish after the first night and thinking, 'please don't be dead'! And the relief when you see that they are alive and well!!! It's the stuff that great joy is made of, ha ha

O dear, if tomini tangs are aggressive toward later added occupants then I probably should consider my tank stocked up! It's a bit small for a tomini as it is so I better not risk anymore inhabitants. I guess it's good that I already have a well stocked tank.

I love hippo tangs and I think one would be a wonderful addition to your tank both with color and shape. And of course for grazing purposes. The punch of blue and yellow and fuscia (from a royal gramma harem) will really give your ecosystem a beautiful array of color! The artist in me can not but help to appreciate that aspect.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2021, 09:42 AM   #1809
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yep, that first night is the worst. I worry that I may have messed up the acclimation process, and a mountain of other things that might have gone wrong.

That wasn't a hard fast rule, on adding fish after it. I think if you added something smaller, and very different looking you might be alright. Also if it was the same species as something you already have, like a Barnacle Blenny, he might not even notice!

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything about your tank. I was just concerned about my own order of introduction situation.

I love Hippo Tangs! So beautiful and full of personality. The grazing is the worry. I'd love it to go after the Caulerpa, but anything else would be bad, so I'm going to watch and see how ThePurple12's does.

Unread 02/09/2021, 11:45 AM   #1810
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Scarlett, the Tomini Tang is doing great! She's still pretty timid about coming out when I am watching, but I know that will pass. I turned up the light on her tank today, so that's another adjustment for her. I'm leaving the cabinet door open too, so she gets used to seeing activity outside her tank. She looks a touch skinny, so I'm feeding her a lot to fatten her up. She's such a pretty fish. I love how Tominis keep their fins flared most of the time. It's like they're show-offs, which is something I can identify with! It's also very encouraging to see her eat enthusiastically. I hate it when new fish don't eat. It ramps up the worry. After killing so many fish in 2019, I have new hope.

QT3

Unread 02/09/2021, 03:41 PM   #1811
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Very true. It’s odd how some fish, like clowns, will eat flakes straight out of the bag; while others, such as butterflies, won’t eat for several days. The rest are somewhere in between.

So far, Hippo hasn’t eaten any seaweed from the clip (or rubberbanded to a rock). He does pick a little at the algae on the grass, and has maybe eaten a little Johnson’s grass, but nothing else. He’s eating Mysis, pellets, and flakes, but no plants.

Even the shy engineer goby eats seaweed from a clip! It’s no wonder blue tangs are in their own genus.

Unread 02/09/2021, 06:53 PM   #1812
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Can you imagine spending big bucks on a fish and have it not eat for two weeks? I'd be at my wits end!

I think it takes awhile for them to get used to nori on a clip. I bet he'll eat it at some point. One thing that jumps out at me from your post is: "and has maybe eaten a little Johnson’s grass". I'm not very familiar with Johnson's Grass, but it is a smaller plant, and maybe more tender than Shoal or Manatee grass?

They are weird, unique fish!

Unread 02/09/2021, 06:58 PM   #1813
ThePurple12
Registered Member

I’m sure it is more tender. There have only been a few nips if anything; the tang might’ve been going for the algae instead.

Unread 02/10/2021, 07:50 AM   #1814
vlangel
Registered Member

Tommy was timid also in the beginning and a bit skinny. I did not QT him because he had been at a lfs that I really trust for 3 months. So he hid in the rockwork for about a week. (Even now he likes to spend time sleeping in the rockwork and swim in and through it).

He also ate well for me right away but it took me about 2 months to fatten him up. He did not eat nori on a clip early on and I have not tried it again. I think I should give it another go now though.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 02/10/2021, 08:58 AM   #1815
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's great you have a LFS you can trust. All my bad experiences were with internet fish stores. Really just Live Aquaria, which used to be great. The way they've set it up now, they have a financial incentive to send out sick and dying fish. I'm finding now, with the bump in prices and shipping costs, it's often cheaper to buy local. That was the case with Scarlett. I came out $20 ahead. The exception is buying a big group of fish, like 6 Royal Grammas from KP's. Their low price on them and shipping comes out cheaper than my local cost of $30 per fish. So I'll probably buy grammas from KP's, and any single fish locally.

I haven't tried nori with Scarlett yet. With the light on, I'm hoping that film algae will grow, so her natural feeding will be fruitful. She nibbles at the Ulva and Caulerpa but mostly she's going after spirolina flakes and algae pellets. This morning I gave her some mysis and cyclops, and she seemed to like them. Basically, I'm feeding her several times a day to get her fat. I'll test for ammonia today to make sure that's okay. In my most recent past QTs, macro algae and a scoop of display tank sand kept ammonia down easily. I'll also add the second (and final) course of General Cure today.

QT4

Unread 02/10/2021, 09:13 AM   #1816
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple12 View Post
Very true. It’s odd how some fish, like clowns, will eat flakes straight out of the bag; while others, such as butterflies, won’t eat for several days. The rest are somewhere in between.

So far, Hippo hasn’t eaten any seaweed from the clip (or rubberbanded to a rock). He does pick a little at the algae on the grass, and has maybe eaten a little Johnson’s grass, but nothing else. He’s eating Mysis, pellets, and flakes, but no plants.

Even the shy engineer goby eats seaweed from a clip! It’s no wonder blue tangs are in their own genus.
Tank raised fish will eat immediately in my experience. And they'll eat just about anything. Definitely eases the nerves when a fish will eat within seconds of being dropped into QT.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2021, 09:26 AM   #1817
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Right on McPuff. It's crazy all the doubts that creep in when adding new fish. Thirty years of this and I still get nervous. Neither of my LFSs carry captive bred fish. Maybe I could special order them. I'll ask.

Unread 02/11/2021, 10:42 AM   #1818
vlangel
Registered Member

I am glad that Scarlett is eating a good variety for you on top of starting to eat so soon. I bet she fattens up in no time.

Tommy actually had a faint horizontal line that ran from head to tail when I first got him because he was a bit thin. That is totally gone now and he actually looks just a bit fleshy, which is how I like my fish to look. His scales and fins are flawless and he looks so healthy.

Tommy constantly picks at the glass,(especially in the corners), and the sandbed. I cannot even see what he is picking at but I am sure it tiny algae/detritus. I think you will be pleased with Scarlett although I doubt she will have an impact on the caulerpa prolifera. Tommy never evens looks at mine anymore. Maybe I am giving him too many prepared greens? The caulerpa is not a problem in my display so I just as soon do whatever I can to give Tommy a well rounded diet that meets his needs.

Unread 02/11/2021, 10:59 AM   #1819
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yes, I'm not expect Scarlett to eat Caulerpa. I've pretty much resigned myself to that duty. I think when/if I add Royal Grammas, I'll strip the back wall of it, so they can find all the hidey-holes. I'm sure it will grow back, unless I really go nuts. At this point, I'm regretting letting it grow in my tank. Without it, I'd have much less work to do.

Yesterday I bought two different veggie flakes for Scarlett. I also bought a new Ammonia test kit. I tested her water and it looked like there was some ammonia, so I did my best to remove all uneaten food, along with a small water change. There was a lot. So now I am backing off on the heavy feeding. I threw another piece of Ulva in the tank to help out.

Scarlett's really in great shape. She picks at the tank bottom a lot. She's still very timid, but she's gradually coming around.

QT5

Unread 02/11/2021, 11:56 AM   #1820
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I attempted to get some pics of Scarlett the Tomini Tang. Didn't go well. She's still too timid. It took a long time for her to come out, but here are the best two shots I got:

The QTs are set up so that you're looking in from the narrow side. Here you can see the pvc, corals and weeds. In the foreground you can see the mound of sand from the display. Scarlett is just emerging from behind the coral.

The best I could do at this point. As she gets more used to me, I should be able to get better shots.

Unread 02/11/2021, 02:00 PM   #1821
vlangel
Registered Member

Actually those are not too bad. She's a beauty, for sure. If you get a Hippo tang, will his name be Rhett?

Unread 02/11/2021, 03:50 PM   #1822
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ha Ha! Rhett! That made me laugh. I'm still not sure I'll get a Blue Tang, but I want one. I'll be keeping an eye on ThePurple12's tang for sure. If I take a step back, it really doesn't make sense for me to get another herbivore. That blue tangs are more planktivore makes me think I could get away with one, but if he decided to go after any of my prized macros I'd be very bummed. So it's a risk, and the older I get, the less risk I take.

I had a bit of a panic here on RC. I just updated my operating system on my iMac, and when I got on RC, all of my pics were gone! It turns out I just needed to log in again. Whew!

Unread 02/11/2021, 03:57 PM   #1823
ThePurple12
Registered Member

What a scare!

Still no problems with my hippo, but every fish is different and you never know.
For ammonia control in the quarantine tank, why not pick up a bottle of Seachem Prime? I’ve heard aquariums use it to start up tanks when they haven’t finished cycling.

Unread 02/11/2021, 04:00 PM   #1824
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Good to hear, thanks! And thanks for the suggestion of ammonia neutralizer! Great idea.

Unread 02/12/2021, 07:45 AM   #1825
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
That blue tangs are more planktivore makes me think I could get away with one, but if he decided to go after any of my prized macros I'd be very bummed. So it's a risk, and the older I get, the less risk I take.
I hear ya regarding risks, I too am more cautious in my old age.

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass