Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/26/2006, 05:55 PM   #76
fishfanv
Registered Member

yeah i hope so too. he isn't out as much as i'd like him to be, but he's slowly but surely coming out more often.

Current Tank Info: 40 & 30 gallon reefs
fishfanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2006, 04:57 PM   #77
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

It is a larger female of Paracheilinus octotaenia, 6cm. from the Red Sea. The fins are still pale with reddish hue, but number of lines are growing.
In the background are (from left to right) Cirrhilabrus luteovittatus, C. tonozukai (front), and C. lunatus.

H.Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2006, 08:28 AM   #78
NexDog
Snail Killer

H.Tanaka, you have PM (in case you have notification disabled).

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump.

Current Tank Info: Deltec 902, PFO hood with 3x400w Radium 20k and 4x96w PC's. Hammerhead closed loop - and 2 x Tunze 6105 (and Vortech still sucks).
NexDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2006, 06:27 PM   #79
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

The Filamented Flasher Wrasse, Paracheilinus filamentosus.

It is a popular species among keepers and diver as well, and is widely distributed from the Philippines, Indonesia, Palau, Papua New Guinea to the Solomon Islands.

The filament on dorsal fin is about 5-7 in number, and is very similar to P. cyaneus from Indonesia where they mix. They differ in coloration on body; filamentosus has several lines without dots between lines, but in cyaneus there are fine dots between them.
It reaches some 9cm at maximum but most aquarium specimens are around 6-7cm.

Specimens from the Solomons are distinctly colored with an entirely yellow dorsal fin.

6cm long male from Indonesia

7cm male, displaying with a bright blue area on dorsal fin and caudal fin, and also stripes on side turned blue

Unread 04/30/2006, 05:19 AM   #80
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

Two similar species; cyaneus (upper) and filamentosus.

The difference between the lines is obvious.

Unread 04/30/2006, 05:29 AM   #81
snorvich
Team RC member

Hiroyuki, without seeming overly academic, it is not obvious to me that all species are separate and distinct. In some cases it appears as if there was genetic wandering. What are the criteria for determining a separate species of fish? Is it number of dorsal spines, or ?? Thanks in advance. By the way, the arrival of my P. bellae has been delayed until late June. But I have not forgotten about pictures.

Unread 04/30/2006, 05:56 AM   #82
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

snorvich,

Thank you for your comment and yes, it is mysteriou for us why ichthyologists divided these very similar individuals into valid species.

They were examined carefully anatomically by ichthyologists, based (not their coloration) especially upon scale count, lateral-line, bone structure, etc. The paper for description needs at least 3-4 pages in a journal and also they compare a new species with other similar or related spp. The distribution also is significant, and it can make an ichthyologist regard a specimen as a distinct or geographical variant.

For example, P. filamentosus has been a 7single' species but now it is divided by Rudie Kuiter & Gerald Allen into two, P. cyaneus and P. filamentosus. Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura also was long believed to be a 'single' one but now the similar C. solorensis is valid. C. solorensis was described in mid 1800's but it has been ignored by many ichthyologists and now recovered in the list.

There are some auguement among ichthyologists about similar spp. especially of Cirrhilabrus, eg. C. exquiaitus and T. temminckii. Some regard C. lyukyuensis as a valid species. Still confused group.

Unread 05/01/2006, 04:12 PM   #83
Spikehs
Premium Member

I am contemplating getting one of these fish, but my tank will be open top, what is the success rate for these fish in an open top tank?

Spikehs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2006, 05:15 PM   #84
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

Spikehs,

These fishes are notoriously known as jumpers, so it is risky to house these in a open top tank. They may fight, chase or be frightened by the keeper and then they would dart into crevices or jump out of the tank so quickly. Yes, they may collide with the top glass but it is the better. I have an experience that I found two specimens dead on the floor in the morning while I was keeping open top aquarium. The same thing will happen with dottybacks.

Unread 05/02/2006, 03:43 AM   #85
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

Next one is Paracheilinus lineopunctatus. Line-spot Flasher.

It ranges the Philippines and northern Indonesia around Sulawesi. It reaches 7.5cm at maximum. Deep red to scarlet body with six to seven filaments on dorsal fin and rounded caudal fin.

They are often standing up and posing to each other like this.

Unread 05/02/2006, 02:28 PM   #86
BlueBadger
Premium Member

Will Flasher's be able to Live in a BB tank or are there certain types I should avoid.

Dan

BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2006, 08:47 PM   #87
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

Bluebadger,

Yes, you can keep fairies in BB tank well; they are not sand sleepers, and they sleep with their own "cocoon" among or under the rocks or corals. They need open space for free swimming and many crevices to hide, but no need of complicated surroundings in the tank.

Unread 05/04/2006, 07:30 PM   #88
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

It is 6cm long male from the Philippines or northern Indonesia around n. Sulawesi. It is a usual coloration.

It is now displaying. Filaments turned white and also the back changed blue. Two bluish white areas appeared on body.

Unread 05/05/2006, 02:39 PM   #89
oct2274
Registered Member

none of the older pics are showing.....can this be fixed? I really want to see all the pics

oct2274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2006, 04:10 PM   #90
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

oct2274,

Thanks for your interest. Yes, I hope to show all the pics I have posted but there is few space to keep them in my file, so I should have deleted several pics.

I will show all the ones in a lower res or sizes soon.

Unread 05/06/2006, 08:36 PM   #91
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

Paracheilinus species in alphabetical order in color.

This thread shows 4 spp.; angulatus ~ carpenteri

P. angulatus

P. attenuatus

P. bellae

P. carpenteri

Unread 05/06/2006, 08:43 PM   #92
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

This shows 4spp; cyaneus ~ hemitaeniatus

P. cyaneus

P. filamentosus

P. flavianalis

P. hemitaeniatus

Unread 05/06/2006, 08:52 PM   #93
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

This showcase illustrates 4 spp.; lineopunctatus ~ piscilineatus

P. lineopunctatus

P. mccoskeri

P. octotaenia

P. piscilineatus

Unread 05/06/2006, 08:56 PM   #94
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

This depicts photos of P. rubricaudalis. It comes from Fiji and Vanuatu only.

P. rubricaudalis

P. togeanensis is a very rare species found only around easter sulawesi, Indonesia and the photo will be shown soon.

Unread 05/06/2006, 09:10 PM   #95
NexDog
Snail Killer

These photos are amazing. For anyone that is interested, Hiroyuki has written a book on Fairy and Flasher Wrasses with all these pics and hundreds more. It has been printed in a kind of paper version and Hiroyuki has received an offer to print it in full hardback. I'm trying to convince him to go-ahead but he says the collection is not yet complete. I suggested he go ahead anyway and do a Part II in a few years. I have his Angelfishes book in hardback that he gave me as a gift and it is simply stunning. I really want to see the Wrasses book in hardback too!

Current Tank Info: Deltec 902, PFO hood with 3x400w Radium 20k and 4x96w PC's. Hammerhead closed loop - and 2 x Tunze 6105 (and Vortech still sucks).
Unread 05/06/2006, 11:01 PM   #96
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

Paracheilinus togeanensis, Togean Flasher in its natural habitat, Sulawesi. It is known with a very few specimens ever collected and photographed. It has not entered the aquarium trade.
It is similar to P. angulatus but P. togeanensis has a distinct, rounded dorsal fin.

NexDog,
Many thanks for your comment, and yes now I am waiting for a reply from the publishing company in Italy. One of the editors might accept my book on wrasses, however I would wait until several species would be described, and they will hopefully be done within a year. At least four new species (2 from Indonesia, 1 from s. Japan to Philippines, and 1 from Kenya) and two subspecies of Cirrhilabrus will be named by Allen, et al.

Unread 05/06/2006, 11:29 PM   #97
pisces5296
Registered Member

This thread should be a sticky a lot of information and pics

pisces5296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2006, 11:45 PM   #98
NexDog
Snail Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by H.Tanaka
NexDog,
Many thanks for your comment, and yes now I am waiting for a reply from the publishing company in Italy. One of the editors might accept my book on wrasses, however I would wait until several species would be described, and they will hopefully be done within a year. At least four new species (2 from Indonesia, 1 from s. Japan to Philippines, and 1 from Kenya) and two subspecies of Cirrhilabrus will be named by Allen, et al.
Ah well, a year is not too long to wait.

Unread 05/07/2006, 05:31 AM   #99
pisces5296
Registered Member

Yes it is

pisces5296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2006, 06:32 AM   #100
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

Paracheilinus species (upper) photographed in Osprey Reef off northen Great Barrier Reef (T. Yamazumi photo).

It is similar to P. mccoskeri (lower) but has a robust filament on D fin and also a wide red area on A fin without any blue spot. It was observed by the photographer making a harem of up to ten individuals on occasion. No specimen available, no examination, so I should avoid to regard it as a new one at present.