Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/24/2016, 02:30 PM   #1351
MJNTWise
7 Year Newbie

When I get time Im going to mess with the feed button....I have 2 of them so if I screwed one up its not the end of the world....Wish Eric will put this on his much to long to do list....lololol

Current Tank Info: 180 gal. 40B gal. sump. 100 lbs live rock, Duel Cor 20 return pump,30"lifereef skimmer,4 MP 40, 4 XR15w Pro 4 with 2 50/50 reefbrites, Apex Control
MJNTWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2016, 03:38 PM   #1352
Pickupman66
Registered Member

I'll keep an eye on it. I may be interested as well. I thought I had an auto feeder in a tote from when I moved but idk where it is now days

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

15 years reef keeping experience in old school simplistic ways.
/><{{{{"> Archon BETA

Current Tank Info: 66 Gallon SCA Rimless, Custom 40 Breeder sump, DC pumps, Lumentek Pro 240 controlled by my Archon

Last edited by Pickupman66; 07/24/2016 at 03:44 PM.
Pickupman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2016, 06:45 PM   #1353
n2585722
Registered Member

I didn't take mine apart but it does already have a manual button on the top back that will start it if pushed. It should be easy enough to solder a couple of wires to the switch that you can close momentarily with a relay to activate it also. If you use a 12volt relay you can activate the relay with a 12volt wall wart. I am mot sure there is room in their for a small relay but if so you could just add a jack to the case for the 12v. to the relay coil. I may have some time to check into this in 2 or 3 weeks.

n2585722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2016, 08:17 PM   #1354
n2585722
Registered Member

OK, curiosity got the best me so I disassembled my feeder. The photo of the PCB below has arrows pointing to where you would need to attach wires from the contact points of a relay. The one wire at one of the pads with the yellow arrows and the other wire to one of the pads with the red arrows. If it is a SPST relay the no issue. If it is a SPDT use the common and normally open contacts.

n2585722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2016, 08:40 PM   #1355
illjoshlli
Registered Member

I was able to get my Ehm Feeder 3581090 hooked up and working on a 5v relay tonight. I should be able to get it'll all closed up and hooked up to the Archon by the end of the week. Well, that's if I can find a few more hours to finish it.... The nice thing is, the relay will fit perfectly within the container so it should have a very clean finish.

One thing to note is that I am FAR from being knowledgeable in electronics. If any one sees an issue with what I did let me know .

Relay:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Video of me testing against a 5v adapter:

illjoshlli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2016, 10:36 PM   #1356
jason2459
Registered Member

that's awesome. Great job there. The eheim feeder is a great feeder too.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 04:16 AM   #1357
MJNTWise
7 Year Newbie

Nice just ordered 2 of the relays......THANKS

Current Tank Info: 180 gal. 40B gal. sump. 100 lbs live rock, Duel Cor 20 return pump,30"lifereef skimmer,4 MP 40, 4 XR15w Pro 4 with 2 50/50 reefbrites, Apex Control
Unread 08/03/2016, 07:01 AM   #1358
Pickupman66
Registered Member

Very cool. Please detail a bit more of what you are doing in the video and how the relay works in the system.

/><{{{{"> Archon BETA

Current Tank Info: 66 Gallon SCA Rimless, Custom 40 Breeder sump, DC pumps, Lumentek Pro 240 controlled by my Archon
Unread 08/03/2016, 11:03 AM   #1359
illjoshlli
Registered Member

Absolutely, as soon as I can find some time I'll post details.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Unread 08/03/2016, 12:17 PM   #1360
fishguy306
Registered Member

So I just read through everything over the last few hours, glad to see the Archon has become so much more stable and working well now.

I'm trying to decide if it is worth it for me to upgrade to one. Full disclosure this will be for a freshwater system. I had a RKL controlling a planted tank. It has since come down and I'm now in the process of building a roughly 1000 gal main display tank and another 1100 or so in tanks and sumps all connected in a fish room. I purchased a RKE with some extra PC4s to run the system, then also picked up a net module.

Being FW I wont have much of the equipment that you reef guys do, so while the Archon looks great and I'm tempted to upgrade before I even set up the RKE, I'm just not sure if it'll be worth it for me. I will need it for monitoring two pH probes, temp in two locations (main and quarantine), controlling heat based off of both, one of which being a hot water heater system, pumps, an ATS, UV and lights, with ramping if I can figure out how. A webcam would be a nice plus but not necessary. I've already run an Ethernet cable through the floor to where the net module will be, so wifi is nice but not needed.

So I guess I'm just wondering if you guys see it being worth the upgrade for me? Will I benefit from anything besides a more user friendly web experience?

fishguy306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 03:19 PM   #1361
Pickupman66
Registered Member

So the web interface that the archon has is extremely more robust and more efficient than your current system. Since you have the Elite system already you don't have to worry about a number of modules. The archon will also work on your wired network if you don't want to deal with Wi-Fi. I think you might find some benefits from some of the more advanced functions on the archon since you are working two separate systems with it. the system is very stable at this time.

I think the ramp and functions will be really easy for you to program as well as the multi-controller function will be great for two different systems to activate or deactivate multiple devices from one input setting

/><{{{{"> Archon BETA

Unread 08/03/2016, 03:39 PM   #1362
fishguy306
Registered Member

You do make it sound worth the upgrade. At this point I don't even have the RKE up and running, I actually don't have water in any of the tanks yet, but I'm buying my parts as I build and find deals, I'm kind of thinking I'll have an easier time upgrading and programming everything into an Archon now than I would doing it all with the RKE and down the road deciding to upgrade and having to do it again.

I am also concerned that DA will eventually stop support for the RKE and I'll have wished that I had upgraded.

The ramping function doesn't seem too complicated, but it depends on the LEDs I end up going with. I had been thinking some LED floodlights since I'm not nearly as worried about intensity or spectrum however I suspect I wont really be able to make those work.

Unread 08/03/2016, 08:44 PM   #1363
Pickupman66
Registered Member

The rke should continue I reckon, just not major development. The archon is the future of DA.

/><{{{{"> Archon BETA

Unread 08/04/2016, 10:25 AM   #1364
fishguy306
Registered Member

Well you convinced me. Just sent over the funds for one. Starting to feel like I've got a collection of DA controllers, a lite, two elites and now the Archon.

Anyway thank you for the thoughts. I'm sure I'll be back when it is actually time to install it and put it into use.

Unread 08/04/2016, 03:51 PM   #1365
shellsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickupman66 View Post
The rke should continue I reckon, just not major development. The archon is the future of DA.

First let me say once again, I have had my Archon since Feb 2015 and love it!
Prior to Archon I ran RKE for years and before that RKL. Support both here and DA support has been so greatly improved in the last year or two.

Now my question, some time ago it was rumored the RKE would morph into a display unit that would talk to the Archon. Anything further on that development?

Unread 08/04/2016, 04:29 PM   #1366
illjoshlli
Registered Member

Alright, here is a quick tutorial on how to hook the Eheim Feeder 3581090 to a 5v relay and the Archon. I am no expert on electronics so excuse my explanations if I'm using the wrong terms/lingo. You are doing this at your own risk!

This is the Relay I purchased. They also have a 9v that would work.

Unread 08/04/2016, 04:50 PM   #1367
fishguy306
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsea View Post
First let me say once again, I have had my Archon since Feb 2015 and love it!
Prior to Archon I ran RKE for years and before that RKL. Support both here and DA support has been so greatly improved in the last year or two.
That is actually something I noticed as well and I hardly have used the products. All I heard was negative things about DA and their service, but I went with the RKL due to the lower price for a FW tank. Well I had some issues with a SL2 module and got a reply same day to my email. Thankfully I haven't needed them a ton but the couple times I have it has been pretty good. Now if only I can figure out how to reactivate my account on their forum lol

Unread 08/04/2016, 04:54 PM   #1368
FlyingFishSKYw
Registered Member

Nice job!!!

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal, H2Overflow, LifeReef VS3-24 Skimmer, 2x Hydra 26, 30 gal diy sump, Apex
FlyingFishSKYw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2016, 05:08 PM   #1369
MJNTWise
7 Year Newbie

Nice.....Waiting on my relay....Should be here Friday.....

Unread 08/05/2016, 11:28 AM   #1370
Pickupman66
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illjoshlli View Post
Alright, here is a quick tutorial on how to hook the Eheim Feeder 3581090 to a 5v relay and the Archon. I am no expert on electronics so excuse my explanations if I'm using the wrong terms/lingo. You are doing this at your own risk!

This is the Relay I purchased. They also have a 9v that would work.

Man, that was Fantastic. now you can also setup a timer to have it fire that ramp daily or every x hours to automatically feed the fish. Man that makes me want to find my feeder.

/><{{{{"> Archon BETA

Unread 08/05/2016, 11:33 AM   #1371
crs751
Registered Member

Will this work with the RKE and if so how would you connect it? Would it be just a wall wart to supply 24v to the relay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crs751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2016, 11:39 AM   #1372
crs751
Registered Member

Also how do you control the number of revolutions on the drum. When the relay is powered won't the drum turn until power is off?

Unread 08/05/2016, 11:40 AM   #1373
illjoshlli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickupman66 View Post
Man, that was Fantastic. now you can also setup a timer to have it fire that ramp daily or every x hours to automatically feed the fish. Man that makes me want to find my feeder.
Thanks a lot! I'm excited to finish up and get it on the tank. I recently got an Anthias kashiwa that requires multiple feedings a day. He/she eats pellets like a champ so I won't have to worry about day feedings.

Unread 08/05/2016, 11:48 AM   #1374
illjoshlli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs751 View Post
Will this work with the RKE and if so how would you connect it? Would it be just a wall wart to supply 24v to the relay?
I don't know enough about the RKE and if it has voltage outputs..you could just get a 5v wall wart... The wires that goto the Archon would go to the wall wart and that would plug into a powered RKE outlet. When the outlet turns on, the feeder turns on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs751 View Post
Also how do you control the number of revolutions on the drum. When the relay is powered won't the drum turn until power is off?
I'm not sure, I'll test this weekend. I believe that when I tested holding down the manual button on the feeder it did not continue after the first spin. If that doesn't work the timer would need to repeat multiple times in a row with enough of a pause for a rotation (10s or so).

Unread 08/05/2016, 11:50 AM   #1375
crs751
Registered Member

Ok I wasn't sure how many times it turned with the manual mode. This is a great idea. Thanks.