Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/29/2018, 07:36 AM   #476
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
I bought the same generator years ago(champion 4k Watts), on clearance from TSC(tractor supply store). Think I payed like 99$ for it. Obviously mine is quite a few years old and looks completely different, but I can fully run my tank, pellet stove, fridge, chest freezer, TV and satellite, and on demand hot water before it starts to bog down.

Great little genny that has never failed on me on the 10 years I've owned it. And trust me, up here in northern NY it gets used nearly weekly in the winter.

Best thing I did for the genny was when we remodeled and we had to rewire the entire house, wire everything I want to run on the genny on one side of the panel box(like I said we loose power quite often and wanted a genny but at the time could not afford an auto backup genny) . I simply flip the main breaker, go out start the genny, plug it in, and back feed the panel box. No messy extension cables running every where.
Hey Homer,

Really appreciate your feedback.

I really have been on the edge on if I should keep this gen or consider another. I can still return it even though it's was on Clearance sale.

It's be great to get one of those dual Fuel types, that allow you to hook up to bbq propane line (so have endless fuel, and not have to have fresh gas in storage). BUT for $120 bucks it's a no brainer. Forking out another $500+ is something I'd just never do for something that I may never use.

Going for a less expensive smaller 2000W would be barely enough to run the tanks. So it's a big Bonus to be able to run the Furnace Fan (make it's less complicated to heat HOUSE and TANKS together). I already ran Dual Power for my tank with my Battery UPS in place. JUST NEED a extra Line to get outside (Have room under deck to keep the Generator and run it there too)

I do like that it has (COLD START), which I assume means you are out there in the COLD cursing that it won't start.

Friend says it's LOUD, but if we have an extensive outage, who cares. I'm sure the neighbors will be envious hearing it run, while our lights and house heat is running (while they are in Cold and Darknesss).

I was going to use those $ points to get the kids a bike or something, but using them for GEN just make it Sweet with the Clearance sale.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2018, 07:46 AM   #477
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Great looking tank, Wally!
You slapped that together practically overnight.
Good job!

THanks Matt. 6 Months to setup wasn't overnight, but I guess you mean from Putting in Rocks, and a few fish. (Last 2 weeks or so)

Anyway, I'm tuning up my water, and HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU.

With Larger Tank, I assume I need more Bio-Load for decent Colored SPS.
That is the 2nd reason I want to establish more fish (above the pretty look).

My N is just under 25, and my P is around 0.15 (that is after 3 months of running and NO WATER CHANGES).
So after tonights 30% water change things will drop. (Roughly N=15 and P=.01 by dilution which will be more close to GOOD for SPS)
I assume things will get better with Regular Water Changes, and Tank Stabilizing with Nitrate reducing Bacteria and the MATRIX I just added a week ago)

I added GFO last night and will RUN it for a bit, but STOP when SPS go in.

My Algae scrubber is active and producing, so it will help with N & P (together)

But the Question
is HOW MUCH BIO-LOAD do I need. I have 6 more SMall Anthias Going in, so that should be close.

MOre specifically the question is Nitrates. Is my Nitrate level (Steady State which is IMPORT vs EXPORT) a true level of Nutrients (Ie direct co-relation)?

Or is it something else that I need to go after (more the Fish Poo=Fertilizer). What I mean is Nitrates can go up by overfeeding (no poo, but un-processed waste).

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/29/2018 at 07:52 AM.
Unread 05/29/2018, 12:06 PM   #478
Wally.B
Registered Member

Power Generator is a Keeper (Working on Install) Have Parts, and Great Location

I was flip-flopping on if I should keep the Generator since Friend Said they are noisy. Also that there are Better ones....For more Money, or similar price but less power.

This was a great price and Noise won't be an issue during POWER FAILURE (rare). Pretty sure the Neighbours will hear it running and hope their lights and fridge were running too. (Fish tank too if they have one).

I convinced myself after a quick review on how I could set up my BACKUP Emergency Power. (and A confidence Boost from Homer...Thanks)

ONE THING you never do is Procrastinate on a EMERGENCY SYSTEM since the Day The Power goes out, it may be COLD, there won't be LIGHTS, and No Time to Waste.

So here is how it will be done:

-> Found my OLD Power Bar (30 AMPType with 5 Standard outlets for Extension Cords) Scrap acquired from Surplus.
-> I have a Basement Window Few Feet from my Sump Room
-> Window is under the Deck but close to the Edge (Just pop it open and run the POWER BAR CORD to the Generator)
-> Two extra Outlets on Generator for Standard Extension Cord, to First Floor Deck Kitchen Sliding Door. (Kitchen Tank, Fridge, etc)
-> Wasteland next to Deck is perfect Location for Generator (Will make a Platform and Cover)

All will be done by weekend. I have Scrap wood from Renovation....for Platform and Deck. Have a Large Gasoline container for a Outboard Fishing Motor.

Then I sit and wait for the Day to come......
(hopefully never needed....it's weird when you have something you don't want to use) (But dumb if you have it and can't use)

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/29/2018 at 12:21 PM.
Unread 05/29/2018, 08:36 PM   #479
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
THanks Matt. 6 Months to setup wasn't overnight, but I guess you mean from Putting in Rocks, and a few fish. (Last 2 weeks or so)

Anyway, I'm tuning up my water, and HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU.

With Larger Tank, I assume I need more Bio-Load for decent Colored SPS.
That is the 2nd reason I want to establish more fish (above the pretty look).

My N is just under 25, and my P is around 0.15 (that is after 3 months of running and NO WATER CHANGES).
So after tonights 30% water change things will drop. (Roughly N=15 and P=.01 by dilution which will be more close to GOOD for SPS)
I assume things will get better with Regular Water Changes, and Tank Stabilizing with Nitrate reducing Bacteria and the MATRIX I just added a week ago)

I added GFO last night and will RUN it for a bit, but STOP when SPS go in.

My Algae scrubber is active and producing, so it will help with N & P (together)

But the Question
is HOW MUCH BIO-LOAD do I need. I have 6 more SMall Anthias Going in, so that should be close.

MOre specifically the question is Nitrates. Is my Nitrate level (Steady State which is IMPORT vs EXPORT) a true level of Nutrients (Ie direct co-relation)?

Or is it something else that I need to go after (more the Fish Poo=Fertilizer). What I mean is Nitrates can go up by overfeeding (no poo, but un-processed waste).
I like your number- n25,p.15. Pretty close to mine..
I’m sure after the gfo and the wc, they may change a bit but they’ll probably bounce back a bit as well..
The fact that your fuge is growing, you’re adding more fish and you have new media that is not completely colonized makes me think that you are covered for nutrient cycling.. I assume your skimmer can be tweaked as well. You have nutrients going in and out.
And since your rock is all cured and fully functional with bacteria, I believe you have a fairly stable system as is.
After you do a few wcs to freshen up the mineral levels, I’d remove the gfo and see where nutrients settle...
Persona, I see nothing wrong with trying some corals in the next week or so..
after your anthias go in, I’d give it some time before you add more fish.
Cuc, though.. how is the cuc? You’ll need a good crew to keep algae in check.. they also do some good recycling of algae into nutrients..and keep the place clean at the same time.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2018, 08:42 PM   #480
Wally.B
Registered Member

Thanks Matt,

Glad you confirmed things. We are on the Same page.

Unread 05/29/2018, 08:46 PM   #481
Wally.B
Registered Member

Darn!! Lost one of my original Anthias (Freak Accident) Jumped Out (no idea how with Cover on Top)

I knew something was wrong since the Pair of Anthias were inseparable.

There were there during feeding today, and then two hours later only one.

I search and searched. Nothing in QT, not sucked up pump or anywhere.

Then I found him like 6 Feet away from TANK TABLE.

How he got out, and got that far away, I have no clue.

I guess the Original 5 Purchase was meant to be a Five-Some going into this thank.

The OTHER Foursome are all doing fine.

Unread 05/29/2018, 10:35 PM   #482
Wally.B
Registered Member

QT #2 (Top Lid/Cover - Re-done) No more ESCAPES!!!

If I did a Proper Lid in the First Place, I'd have my Solar Wrasse and his last Anthias.

So a Must Fix since the other 4 Athias are coming to this QT Friday.

I didn't think Anthias were Jumpers. Wrasse's, Black Caps for sure.

LESSON Learned (twice) but better now in QT then later in DT.

Unread 05/30/2018, 09:28 AM   #483
Wally.B
Registered Member

WATER TESTS ( Most Important Ones) before FIRST SPS Frag

After the 30 % Water change last night.

I let things mix up overnight and THINGS LOOK GOOD. (Really Good)

What really surprises me.....Is for the First TIME in years, I have my MAG in the Lower Proper Level.

In past I could never get MAG below 1400ppm.

This is interesting and let's me consider two choices for Dosing (since I have both).

-> ESV (Two part)
-> AQUA FOREST (Three Part)

I gave up on Aqua Forest Last time since MAG is part of Calcium solution. The PART 3 is Mineral Salts.

Not sure which I will go with (but I'd like to use up the AF since it's 95% Full)

Unread 05/30/2018, 09:44 AM   #484
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Persona, I see nothing wrong with trying some corals in the next week or so..
after your anthias go in, I’d give it some time before you add more fish.
Cuc, though.. how is the cuc? You’ll need a good crew to keep algae in check.. they also do some good recycling of algae into nutrients..and keep the place clean at the same time.
Matt,

I do have a basic CUC:
-> 8 Snails (variety)
-> 3-4 Hermits (Medium Large, and a couple of tiny Blue Legged)
-> 2 Emerald Crabs (Starving, since little algae to eat, but they are scraping rocks clean)

I'll add more when I turn up Lights, since I'm pretty sure Algae on rocks/glass with kick-start.

Unread 05/30/2018, 10:19 AM   #485
reefmutt
Registered Member

I’d say turn the light up now.. get the tank where it will be when corals go/are in.
If you need more cuc, after lights are up, get them in there as well.
You are not trying to create a perfect snapshot of your tank to be ‘ready’, you are trying to create a running ‘normal’ going forward...
I know not 100% feasible with 0 coral but still.. time to start your regular routine in terms of feeding, lighting, flow, skimming, wcs etc.. then corals

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 05/30/2018, 10:43 AM   #486
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
I’d say turn the light up now.. get the tank where it will be when corals go/are in.
If you need more cuc, after lights are up, get them in there as well.
You are not trying to create a perfect snapshot of your tank to be ‘ready’, you are trying to create a running ‘normal’ going forward...
I know not 100% feasible with 0 coral but still.. time to start your regular routine in terms of feeding, lighting, flow, skimming, wcs etc.. then corals
Matt,
If I have to get into my Full Running routine....I'm not ready.
Kind of gotten used to just Feeding Fish, and dealing with QTs.

That is why I why, I want the first Frag in. Once I see it, I'll feel the need to care. It will be my motivator.

The Frag will get my attention and WILL Cheer me on (hopefully with some Color, Growth, and No issues).

Then I'll bring back my Old Frags that GTAreef is holding for me.

Then some Newbies.

AND ONE PROMISE to me , then to you. No Funky ADDITIVES this time!!!!!!!!

No need to put them into a BreakProof Box with Hammer. I really don't want to mess up this Last Chance.

Unread 05/30/2018, 12:13 PM   #487
reefmutt
Registered Member

Got it.. when does first frag go in?

Unread 05/30/2018, 01:23 PM   #488
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Got it.. when does first frag go in?
Frago goes in when Tenurepro Brings over the Pacman SPS he is Sacrificing.

Possibly today, tomorrow......

Tunurepro....You there????

Unread 05/30/2018, 01:29 PM   #489
Wally.B
Registered Member

MY FISH QUEST IS OVER (After Losing Large Tomini Tang) FOUND A Replacement

So I went to Big Als for Blue Legged Hermits, but came back with a little more.

They had a SPECIAL on a SPECIAL fish, Isolated in it's own tank.

They wouldn't hold it for me to think about it.
They wouldn't take payment to come back tomorrow.

So I WAS FORCED TO BRING the Fish home.

Being Dripped right now.

Certainly Different. Never Seen one Before (maybe never noticed)

Reef Safe

Docile

hmm....Looks like two in there eh? (A Male and a Female Pair)

Can you guesss what they are?

Unread 05/30/2018, 05:09 PM   #490
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Frago goes in when Tenurepro Brings over the Pacman SPS he is Sacrificing.

Possibly today, tomorrow......

Tunurepro....You there????
I’m gonna put a basic pack together this weekend. Try to get it out next week. I have some tough pieces that will make good first frags..
Pacman can be sensitive..

Unread 05/30/2018, 10:29 PM   #491
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
I’m gonna put a basic pack together this weekend. Try to get it out next week. I have some tough pieces that will make good first frags..
Pacman can be sensitive..
Well isn't that what a Sacrifice is suppose to be? (A sensitive Frago to test the Tank. If it makes it, Tank is ready for all Others).

Tenurepro mentioned one other more Hardy Frag too. (A Tort or a Miyaggi). I love both, had both, killed both

I forget all my past favourites. Carolinana was one. Red Planet, The Sunset, FireandIce Enchinata, BLUE GOMEZI...

Oh and my all time Favorite (since that one had GREEN ACCENT Color)

The Forest Fire.

Killed Each and Every one!!
I think so Long as I don't do anything Stupid, this tank should do well (no Dishwater Soap improves my changes Significantly compared to last Tank's accident)

However, you know what Frags have done well for you..... So I can't wait to hear from you what you have planned for my Tank's Beginning.

I have to admit.....Construction was gratifying at the end, but THIS IS GETTING EXCITING and the whole purpose of my hard work. (SPS Success!!!! Something I've never achieved for Long Term)

I am Doing QT for Every Fish, and will do Bayer Dip for Every Frag. (Will not take any chances on this Tank....At least at the start.)

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/31/2018 at 12:39 AM.
Unread 05/30/2018, 11:13 PM   #492
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
MY FISH QUEST IS OVER (After Losing Large Tomini Tang) FOUND A Replacement

So I went to Big Als for Blue Legged Hermits, but came back with a little more.

Being Dripped right now.

Certainly Different. Never Seen one Before (maybe never noticed)

Reef Safe

Docile

hmm....Looks like two in there eh?

Can you guesss what they are?
Nobody is going to take a Guess on what is in that Dripper Above (that I pick up from the LFS) ?

How about we make this a bit more interesting.

Pick a Letter or Take a Guess?

Tunurepro Can't Play...He was over and knows.

Unread 05/31/2018, 11:58 AM   #493
Wally.B
Registered Member

hmmm.

Too hard puzzle?

Every is busy, or nobody is interested is playing the Fish Guessing Game eh?

I'll give away the Vowels for now, and later I'll post a picture of them in QT.

Last chance to win the Grand Prize. which is 10 of the Cool Pipette's that Rakie hooked me up with. Mailed to your place free of charge (to first person to post the answer)

I love them. Use them for everything.

Unread 05/31/2018, 02:35 PM   #494
Wally.B
Registered Member

How about a clue.

Here they are in Drip Tub.

Unread 05/31/2018, 02:54 PM   #495
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

My Project ★ GENESIS ★ 110G (Miracle) SPS Dream Tank - (II) Build Thread

Blackedged angel

Genicanthus wantababei

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2018, 03:01 PM   #496
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pslreefer View Post
Blackedged angel

Genicanthus wantababei
You got the Fish name right. Congrats.

To win the prize, solve the full Puzzle. (if you want the prize...You can pass if you want.....But I keep my word).

Unread 05/31/2018, 03:06 PM   #497
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Quote:
You got the Fish name right. Congrats.

To win the prize, solve the full Puzzle. (if you want the prize...You can pass if you want.....But I keep my word).

Hmm

Genicanthus watanabei angel tail

Unread 05/31/2018, 03:20 PM   #498
BCool
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pslreefer View Post
Hmm

Genicanthus watanabei angel tail

I think he meant:
Genicanthus watanabei angel pair

Current Tank Info: 26"x26"x18" BB Cube w\ats and led, 12g Nano Cube
BCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2018, 03:22 PM   #499
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

My Project ★ GENESIS ★ 110G (Miracle) SPS Dream Tank - (II) Build Thread

Derp, couldn’t think of that last word ha

Unread 05/31/2018, 04:56 PM   #500
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCool View Post
I think he meant:
Genicanthus watanabei angel pair

Winner. I will PM you for the prize.

Whew!!! Glad you don't live in across the globe like in Australia since i forgot to mention North America only. I shipped to Australia once and it's pricey.

And i was surprised with the "Tail" guess.....Never thought of that, but Creative thinking.

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/31/2018 at 05:20 PM.