Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/13/2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Lorretto
Registered Member

Bio Cube and bio balls

What do you guys think of the Bio Balls? Does it really work?
Pros? Cons?

I heard of people takng the Bio Balls out and filling the chamber with small chuncks of live rock.

What would you guys recommend?

Lorretto

Lorretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2007, 05:30 PM   #2
scowiii
Registered Member

Live rock. That is the consensous that I have asked also. I have Bio Balls in there now. Waiting for my shipment from TBS before I change it out.

scowiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2007, 06:01 PM   #3
Lorretto
Registered Member

would the LR in the chamber instead off the Bio Balls do a better job filtering the water?

Why would they then make bio balls? What do they do and how do they affect the tank that is not so desirable?

Unread 04/13/2007, 06:04 PM   #4
roader247
Registered Member

I put a small amount of LR in chamber 2 but I also use it for a refuge and added a light to grow micro algae, my nitrates have stayed at 0.

Good Luck Mark

Mark

Current Tank Info: 1 75 gallon fish only marine tank 1 55 fresh water tank and 1 29 gallon fresh tank
roader247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2007, 06:53 PM   #5
Lorretto
Registered Member

what kind of light are you using and how did you connect the light?

but why use LR rather than the bio balls?

Unread 04/13/2007, 07:09 PM   #6
roader247
Registered Member

Bio balls are very good for colonizing bacteria the kind that changes ammonia and nitrite to nitrate. The bacteria that uses nitrate need to grow without access to oxygen, This is why Bio Balls can really cause a problem with nitrates. As far as lighting chamber 2 I went to hardware store and bought a electrical box plastic painted it black measured and scraped the paint off the back in chamber 2 used Velcro on outside of box and tank I found a small under counter light at lowes and put in the box and plugged it in.
parts I used

Light shining trough bad pic

Mark

Current Tank Info: 1 75 gallon fish only marine tank 1 55 fresh water tank and 1 29 gallon fresh tank
Unread 04/13/2007, 07:11 PM   #7
smketyr
Registered Member

Loretto, the bio balls are a nitrate factory for a reef. The BioCube is for fresh and saltwater. The back chambers are set up as a wet/dry filter. If you were doing a fish only no live rock then use the bio balss. Without the bio balls you can fill chamber 3 all the way to the top and not have to worry about the fill line. HTH.
I run it with live rock in chamber two with a heater. All my water parameters are stable.

I am too interested in the fuge set up. I have a small ball of cheato behind the live rock in the tank and would love to put it in the back. However, I don't want to do a lot of mods.

Tom

Current Tank Info: Bio Cube 29, 55g reef
smketyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2007, 07:20 PM   #8
roader247
Registered Member

The mod I did to chamber 2 was really easy, I put my heater in camber 1. Go to loews or Home depot and first find a small light some have used a much bigger light then go find a box to mount it in and get a strait edge razor blade and scrape the paint of. If you don't like it it's only paint in the back of the tank, you can always repaint it. Good Luck

Mark

Mark

Unread 04/13/2007, 08:24 PM   #9
Lorretto
Registered Member

How did you set up the refuge in the 2nd chamber? did you put sand? LR?
No idea what goes in. Also in the third chamber do you still have the sponge in front of the water pump? I guess it would have to stay so no chunks of rocks get sucked in?

Unread 04/15/2007, 11:48 AM   #10
Lorretto
Registered Member

Roader247, where does the water come up in chamber 2? with a refugium in chamber 2 did you fill chamber 3? water level supposed to come up half way so i'm wondering if you flood the 3 chambers, would the water pump draw too much water in the main tank and cause it to overflow?

Unread 04/18/2007, 10:32 AM   #11
roader247
Registered Member

Lorrette Sorry for not getting back soon I travel and had a 42 hour weekend not including travel time. Anyway yes I have chamber 3 filled the reason for the water line Is to keep the bio balls so they are not completely submerged. I also opened the overflow a small amount between chamber 1 and 2 Good Luck

Mark

Mark