Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2012, 08:44 AM   #26
kevl
Registered Member

For about a year my clown was very peaceful but once it started hosting a large colony of duncans it became rather aggressive. 5-6 months ago I added a juvenile clown, which within seconds took to the duncans and other clown and now the female is peaceful again! Occasionally, the female will nip at my hand when spot feeding

kevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 08:47 AM   #27
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

The LFS I worked at years ago had a Pair of Percs that were going on230 years old. They would draw blood!

Unread 08/14/2012, 09:55 AM   #28
ssgtgonzo
Entacmaea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Blaze View Post
The LFS I worked at years ago had a Pair of Percs that were going on230 years old. They would draw blood!
Wow! Thats old! Must be them vampire clowns!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

"Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid" John Wayne
ssgtgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 10:18 AM   #29
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtgonzo View Post
Wow! Thats old! Must be them vampire clowns!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah!

Sorry, they were going on 20.

Unread 08/14/2012, 10:48 AM   #30
BigBarnacles
Registered Member

My female true percula loves to nip at me when I've got the coral feeder in the tank. Any other time she just follows my hand around. My male true percula could care less what I'm doing.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon mixed reef. 8 gallon Nuvo.
BigBarnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 11:46 AM   #31
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc View Post
LOL, clowns are so evil. My Maroon never bit me, but she rammed my hand and anything else that was in the tank. After she killed all my corals she started knocking over rocks twice her size.
You are so right! Mine has claimed about 1/3 of my 5-foot 150 gal DT, and will knock over any coral I put over there! I hate that fish!!!

b0bab0ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 12:04 PM   #32
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Mine bite as well!

Patrick Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 01:07 PM   #33
Brewchief
Registered Member

I have a pair of Ocellaris in my 39 gal. tank with 3 seahorses. When I feed the Seahorses Mysis shrimp, the male will attack the small cup that I use to thaw the shrimp. He will even jump out of the water to hit it. The female doesn't do anything during feeding, but when I put my hand in to do tank maintenance she attacks my hand and goes for the tender skin between my fingers. The bigger she gets the more it hurts, wondering when she will draw blood. I also have a pair of Clarkii clowns in my other tank and they never do a thing while my hand is in the tank. They just swim into one of the anemones.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon corner bowfront with 30 gal. sump and 39 gallon Seahorse tank
Brewchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 01:17 PM   #34
Toxic45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Blaze View Post
Yeah!

Sorry, they were going on 20.
230 yrs old seemed a little outrageous to me haha. They'd definitely be the Confuciuses of the fish world with all that fishy wisdom.

Toxic45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2012, 10:16 PM   #35
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

One of my two Cinnamon just started to follow my hand when doing maintenance. I have seen in the LFS's Anemone tank the two clowns patrol and will grab anything that comes close.

worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2012, 05:33 PM   #36
glennvandyke
Registered Member.

mine bite me alot. out of all my different brood stock tanks my true percs and snowflakes are the worse

glennvandyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2012, 12:21 AM   #37
listerofsmeg
Registered Member

My female bites me too, ever since I bought them an anenome. Like, why what would I want with their anenome?!

listerofsmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2012, 12:43 PM   #38
aarod8991
Registered Member

lol I thought my ocellaris clownfish (female) was special because she would bite me continuously when I put my hand in the water for tank maintenance.

aarod8991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2012, 08:57 PM   #39
Toxic45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerofsmeg View Post
My female bites me too, ever since I bought them an anenome. Like, why what would I want with their anenome?!
They're probably worried that you're going to kick them out and start living in it yourself!

Toxic45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2012, 09:34 PM   #40
Pamelahaley
Registered Member

Right now I have an onyx ocelaris, she's a dick. Honestly, I've tried a few different species and they always end up getting feisty. The maroon hurt the most of all of them. The only thing I can do is just ignore it. I tried flicking at her but, she always comes back. I hope this is a fish that stays small. sHe hasn't discovered the nem yet, she still loves the candy coral but, it doesn't matter where my hand is, she's feisty.

Where beist this docile clown people speak of?

Pamelahaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2012, 01:55 PM   #41
whis169
Registered Member

I had a maroon for a long time, she got big, but never bit me. She was a big pain though, always stirring up the sand, knocking over rocks and coral. I took her to the LFS because I couldn't keep anything where I wanted it and having to blow the sand off the rocks almost every day.

20g elos mini, sump/fug, bubble magus skimmer, e-lite, mp10, 16lbs marco rock, 20lb
whis169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2012, 07:03 PM   #42
Pamelahaley
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whis169 View Post
I had a maroon for a long time, she got big, but never bit me. She was a big pain though, always stirring up the sand, knocking over rocks and coral. I took her to the LFS because I couldn't keep anything where I wanted it and having to blow the sand off the rocks almost every day.
I had the very same problem... my own little private aqua scapers!

Pamelahaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2012, 11:30 PM   #43
ed84g
Registered Member

I just came on here searching for the same issue and im "glad" that my problem is a common one!!

Mine started biting me only after they started hosting a hammer coral. I have 4 Clownfish and lucky only 1 attacks but its getting quite vicious. I think i might try flicking next time i have my hand in the tank because ive tried scaring away and it doesn't seem to work. I wear gloves at the moment but that can be annoying at times!

Take a look at my tank... Hit the Nano forum and its called "1st Reef Tank - Lots of Bright Coral & Fish!"
ed84g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 06:37 AM   #44
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed84g View Post
I just came on here searching for the same issue and im "glad" that my problem is a common one!!

Mine started biting me only after they started hosting a hammer coral. I have 4 Clownfish and lucky only 1 attacks but its getting quite vicious. I think i might try flicking next time i have my hand in the tank because ive tried scaring away and it doesn't seem to work. I wear gloves at the moment but that can be annoying at times!
How long have you had 4 clowns together? What size tank?

Unread 11/01/2012, 07:05 AM   #45
GPB
Registered Member

My ocellaris bites whenever I have to work in the tank.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 37g cube, AquaC Remora Skimmer, 6 x T5 ligts, SSB, 10g sump, GFO, GAC, Polyfilter
GPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 01:14 PM   #46
goreef170
Registered Member

I just bought a maroon pair. Think I better buy some gloves too.....

Unread 11/02/2012, 06:48 PM   #47
ChipE
Moved On

Lol i like how they go after your weaknesses (hangnail/cuts). They are smart!

ChipE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2013, 09:18 PM   #48
JasonMHorn
Registered Member

Figured I'd shake up an old thread.

My one Clown attacks my hand whenever I put it in the tank. I've tried everything from flicking to chasing to grabbing it and it doesn't care. The biting is something that I just learned to ignore. Although it does get annoying! But anyhow, the one that attacks me is the smaller of the pair. It's about 2"-3". I always thought that it was the male. The other one is 3"-4" and is very calm and shy. I always assumed that the bigger one was the female. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how to determine their sex?

JasonMHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2013, 10:18 AM   #49
thefranchizehof
Registered Member

Let me add my 2 cents...

I have a $180 pair of Snow Onyx Designer clowns and they are being pains in the arse, well hands to be exact (LOL). It's very annoying. It's almost like it's going to require 2 people when I need to stick my hands in there. I have a 75 gallon and even if I go to the opposite end they "hit" my hands/wrists/fingers. Not that it hurts but it makes me jump and make a mess any time I do anything. I had to use my net in one hand yesterday while I was trying to move a frag of my zoas and the one kept trying to get to my hand.

I thought my LFS was lying to me when he said Clownfish can be aggressive....

Unread 12/19/2013, 07:50 PM   #50
reefguy24
Registered Member.

Do clownfish have teeth as such?

reefguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote