Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tampa Bay Saltwater
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/28/2006, 06:22 AM   #51
adam82
Registered Member

chrisstankevitz
most worms actually help your tank get rid of extra food and other dead animals. there are a few that can hurt the tank but post a pic and ask a question and you will have an answer. the most fun that i have found in having a saltwater tank is all the neat stuff you find down the road that grew out of the live rock.

red_six
great pics!!!! post more of some of the creatures you got when you get the chance.

Current Tank Info: 150G build in progress
adam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2006, 11:14 AM   #52
chrisstankevitz
Registered Member

adam,

Thanks for your encouraging post. I do not want bad things growing in my tank. Since I'm new, I have no idea what's good and what's bad so I'll be posting lots of pics.

Chris

chrisstankevitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2006, 12:29 PM   #53
adam82
Registered Member

go for it we are here to help.

Unread 06/28/2006, 01:21 PM   #54
liverock
RC Sponsor

Fish

Red six

is you fish real skinny with black and white stripes?

TBS

liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2006, 01:55 PM   #55
SmokeFish
Premium Member

I can't see any of the pictures. Is it just me? I don't even see the red x things.

Unread 06/28/2006, 03:07 PM   #56
Red_Six
Registered Member

Smokefish I am not sure why you don't see pictures. They seem to be loading fine on this computer I am at now. Perhaps it is just slow for you because there are a lot of them.

liverock I only got a glace at the fish from a dorsal perspective. I would describe the fish as gobie shaped, with not much color. It was thin but I don't think it was very deep in body. It was almost transparent like a shrimp and it had a few darker stripes. It could be a juvenile fish. Are you describing a sergeant major?

Red_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2006, 03:38 PM   #57
liverock
RC Sponsor

Tiger

Quote:
Originally posted by Red_Six
Smokefish I am not sure why you don't see pictures. They seem to be loading fine on this computer I am at now. Perhaps it is just slow for you because there are a lot of them.

liverock I only got a glace at the fish from a dorsal perspective. I would describe the fish as gobie shaped, with not much color. It was thin but I don't think it was very deep in body. It was almost transparent like a shrimp and it had a few darker stripes. It could be a juvenile fish. Are you describing a sergeant major?
Is this guy

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ght=tiger+gobi

found in the rock all the time!

They must be tough as they survive shipping with the rock with no problems...but let one jump on the deck while I am moving rock around on the boat and they expire quickly....so I keep a little net on board to scoop them up and toss back in the gulf asap when I see one.

TBS

liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2006, 06:20 PM   #58
buus
Premium Member

Quote:
The condy anemone is on the loose, moving from the location I placed him. After hearing of other's anemone tails I was not sure I even wanted anemones in my tank, but now that I see them in person, I am very pleased with them.
The anemone's are cool -- try target feeding them mysis or brine. They love it. My flower and condy have both doubled in size over the past 3 months.
Quote:
3.)I will leave that question for someone else. Although I target squirted FW to remove mantis, I am not sure what dipping entire rocks in hypo SW would do to all the life.
Who knows what you'll kill off by hypo-salinating everything. Just deal with the Hitchhikers once everything's in the tank. You might be killing gorilla crabs for a while, but it's worth it. The best tool for getting those buggers? A chopstick! It fits into their hidey-holes :-)

Bryan

buus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2006, 12:53 AM   #59
Red_Six
Registered Member

I finally managed a photo of the Tiger Goby. He was being stalked by a mantis. My wife said it was like watching the National Geographic Channel right in our tank.

Unread 07/02/2006, 10:00 AM   #60
Grand Wazoo
Registered Member

Talking

Red_Six

Your tank looks great--excellent pictures. You are an advertisement for TBS!!!

Grand Wazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2006, 02:15 PM   #61
adam82
Registered Member

red_six
how is the tank doing. how about some update pics?

Unread 07/10/2006, 07:38 PM   #62
Red_Six
Registered Member

I am away on business and will have to wait until this weekend for updates.

Unread 07/11/2006, 09:57 AM   #63
adam82
Registered Member

lol... ok i can wait

Unread 07/17/2006, 08:22 PM   #64
Red_Six
Registered Member

Here are some photos of more of the critters I got with the package. Also is a full tank shot. In it you can see I added a few corals and some fish. The TBS rock makes a beautiful backdrop for everything.

Condylactis Anemone

Serpent Star

Small Abalone

Two Peppermint Shrimp. They come out at night

Unread 07/18/2006, 05:50 AM   #65
adam82
Registered Member

awesome!!!! looks like everything is going great.

Unread 07/19/2006, 07:32 PM   #66
mskohl
Registered Member

did you have a cycle with the rocks? Did you do anything before placing them in your tank?

I'm looking to stock a large tank and I need to find good quality rock with a reasonable price.

Unread 07/19/2006, 10:47 PM   #67
Red_Six
Registered Member

mskohl I did not have much of a cycle. The ammonia never got above 0.1 ppm. Following the instructions that came with the rock I swished each rock in the water it came in and smelled it for dead stuff. All of the rock smelled fresh. I did not see any die off.

I was looking at the peppermint shrimp last night with a flashlight and noticed one of them has an egg mass on its abdomen. This should be cool to see what happens. The big gorilla crab that I put in my fuge had the same thing. The egg mass is gone now and I only noticed a few baby crabs made it to the main tank. Most of those that made it are probably gone now. I bet the mantis shrimp enjoyed that.

Unread 07/20/2006, 06:24 AM   #68
adam82
Registered Member

yummy snack for the mantis

Unread 07/20/2006, 07:18 AM   #69
mrothermel
Registered Member

Hey...I have a question for you. By the way...the rock is gorgeous! We are driving to Portland this morning to pick up our first half of "the package" from Richard. What do you feed this live rock/sand since there won't be fish to feed for a while? I would think you would have to drop something in there. And...if you know can you be specific. We will probably have to order something because we live in Bend, OR and have limited supplies here of things. Maybe we can get something in Portland today! Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 48 gal
mrothermel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2006, 08:46 AM   #70
Red_Six
Registered Member

mrothermel I did not feed my tank anything until after part 2 arrived. There are plenty of nutrients for everything to survive. Just turn the lights on for 5 hours or less per day until you finish cycling. After you get part two it is up to you what you feed. Most here on RC seem to like Reef Chili but I have not tried it yet.

Unread 08/16/2006, 08:37 PM   #71
ppht
Premium Member

Red I am picking up part one of my package tomorrow and I am very excited. But for someone who has a sw aquarium hobby and you say you dont know what you are doing with the camera? You should post those on www.photographycentral.com forums. I am impressed with the photgraphy as much as the amount of life you got with your order. I hope I have the same results... Thanks for the pics!!!

ppht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2006, 07:31 PM   #72
Strykur
Registered Member

Hi Guys

First of all let me say after reading this whole thread I feel like I know you all

I have a 24g aquapod I am starting my reefing experience with, put in part one of the shipment on Thursday.

All is going well except a slight problem keeping my ammonia under 1.0

P.H is 7.8
Ammonia is 1.0
Nitrite/Nitrate are 0

Checking my water twice daily and ammonia is always slightly over 1. I am doing 25% water changes each time to bring it down. Anything else I should be doing?

I have a 125g fish only with live rock I have had for over 7 years so its been a long time since I started a tank from scratch. I dont recall having this problem but then again the rock had nowhere near this much life on it.

P.S I know you guys really love pics and I did take a few of part 1, I will post them with pictures of part 2 hopefully in a week or so

Strykur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2006, 08:08 PM   #73
buus
Premium Member

Try lifting the rock out, piece by piece, and quickly smell the sponges on it. If it smells terrible, rip the sponge off. Sponge die-off is the biggest thing that I've seen that contributes to high ammonia. Just keep up the water changes, and you'll be good!

Bryan

buus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2006, 10:52 PM   #74
HowardW
Registered Member

<<< Checking my water twice daily and ammonia is always slightly over 1. I am doing 25% water changes each time to bring it down. Anything else I should be doing? >>>

A product that really helps shorten the cycle and helps to quickly colonize your bacteria is Seachems Stability. I use it every time I start a new tank and also when doing water changes on tanks less than 6 months old.

Another thing is that if you ( or a friend nearby) already have an established tank going, just add a couple cups of substrate to the new tank and that will reduce your cycle time and bring the ammonia levels down quickly.......otherwise just keep doing the small daily water changes or twice daily as necessary and make sure your skimmer is skimming nice and wet.

Unread 09/10/2006, 10:55 PM   #75
ybenormal
Registered Member

Depending on the type of life on the rocks and how well it tolerated shipping, it can take a week or more for die off to taper off and for nitrifying bacteria to catch up with the load. High ammonia levels will only add to the problem, so you are doing the right thing in trying to keep them under control.

Do you have a good skimmer on the new tank?

Before performing PWCs, use a turkey baster to dislodge and stir up sediment and dead material on the LR. It would not hurt to do this several times per day anyway so the debris can more easily be removed by your skimmer.

You'd also be better off doing one 50% PWC (50% reduction in ammonia) rather than two 25% PWCs (43.75% reduction in ammonia). Personally, I'd do one 50% PWC in the morning then check in the evening and do another 25-50% PWC if the ammonia level is > .5. If all goes well everything should begin to settle in within the next few days and you can begin to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Edit/Disclaimer: The larger water change recommendation above applies only while the tank is cycling. Once established, smaller and more frequent PWCs are preferred over less frequent and larger PWCs. I'm sure you are already aware of this but I thought it might be a good idea to point this out for folks who are new to the hobby.

ybenormal is offline   Reply With Quote