Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2019, 08:01 PM   #1
goulding.c
Registered Member

vermatid snail invasion

Anyone ever had these little guys over run your tank? I have probably 1000s . Ever big rock I flip is covered in whiskers from these guys. My system was moved into a big Rubbermaid horse water tub , waiting for new tank to arrive. That is when they took over. So far I have been using a small butane torch to burn them, and putting some rocks outside to dry out.

Any other ideas out there??? Crabs, fish,, Anyting

My current setup has 150lbs maybe of live rock, that is all now covered in these things.

Thanks

goulding.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 08:21 AM   #2
smatter
Registered Member

Aggressive mechanical filtration slows them down. There aren't any predators that I am aware of.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 08:47 AM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

BIG thread here on this with -o- results outside of manual removal.

Unread 01/17/2019, 12:55 PM   #4
steallife904
Registered Member

I believe some wrasses eat them?

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 01:54 PM   #5
crawlerman
Registered Member

I've never seen him actually eat one, but I had a lot and they started disappearing when I got a malanurus wrasse. Haven't seen any in a long time. Haven't seen any members of my clean up crew either, so you do have that problem.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 02:32 PM   #6
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Mine are all over my 90 display because I feed newly-hatch baby brine shrimp 2-3 times a day (to feed baby Banggai cardinals in the rockwork.) Nothing to do about them, and they are harmless. For the past 20 years I've had permanently scratched up hands from these nasty buggers in customer's tanks. I learned to live with them.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 07:22 PM   #7
goulding.c
Registered Member

ya I think I need to live with them. My system is a total wreck from a home remodel, everything moved into sump in basement with lights, coral decline, these things all over. I just need to get stable again. I just flipped the switch flowing into new tank. Hopefully moving stuff back in this weekend.

The little butane torch though does work good and can fry an aptasia or 2 while snail cooking

goulding.c is offline   Reply With Quote