Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/25/2015, 11:20 AM   #26
Willistein
Registered Member

You're right - but I am curious how a pro would make this cut. Would they disassemble the tank and use water jet? Or are there hand tools out there that they would use to do the job?
Also, I can't see this costing less than several hundred $ if you took it to the pro, which to me, makes it a great DIY project.

Willistein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2015, 03:59 PM   #27
wolfblue
Registered Member

This sort of thing is a good path to a 3AM blowout, day 1 or 1000.

Unread 02/25/2015, 04:05 PM   #28
wolfblue
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk72 View Post
It can be done. This is 8" long by 1" deep. One of these on each side of a 48" tank. I did this with a dremel.
'

Rounded corners, good. Did you grind it all the way or cut out a piece and then grind? Are you planning to finish the edges up?

Unread 02/25/2015, 08:11 PM   #29
laga77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfblue View Post
This sort of thing is a good path to a 3AM blowout, day 1 or 1000.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Current Tank Info: 50G SPS/NPS Reef, 120G Mixed Reef, 120G FOWRL, 29G Seahorse tank, 20G Observation tank,
laga77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2015, 09:19 AM   #30
03LightningSVT
Registered Member

Once the overflow box is attached (using silicone adhesive) to the outside of the tank, where is the blowout going to happen? If anything were to happen, I would think it would be contained inside the overflow box....

03LightningSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2015, 10:34 AM   #31
Willistein
Registered Member

I guess I thought this was the DIY section...
To the OP: any progress on a plan for this?

Unread 02/26/2015, 11:18 AM   #32
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistein View Post
Yep it is the DIY section. I checked!

One of the valuable parts of the DIY section is the experienced/pros suggesting that the user might be in over his/her head. There are times when we should hold 'em and times when we should fold 'em.

Without experience, it's difficult to know when 'when' is.

It is also not a desertion of the DIY creed to sub out part of the job. It's not only about skills it's also about tools. The right tools DO help.

Unread 02/26/2015, 11:48 AM   #33
Willistein
Registered Member

I hear ya

Unread 02/26/2015, 10:09 PM   #34
Hawk72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfblue View Post
'

Rounded corners, good. Did you grind it all the way or cut out a piece and then grind? Are you planning to finish the edges up?
I cut a piece out then finished the edges with a sanding barrel on a dremel. Used 60 grit first then 120.

Hawk72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 02:39 PM   #35
Khemul
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LightningSVT View Post
Once the overflow box is attached (using silicone adhesive) to the outside of the tank, where is the blowout going to happen? If anything were to happen, I would think it would be contained inside the overflow box....
The idea of a potential blowout would be the entire piece of glass failing (due to some unseen defect caused by the cutting). The overflow box wouldn't do much to contain that.

Whether it'd actually happen is a bit impossible to say. Theoretically, it could. Theoretically, everything could be fine. Theoretically a meteor could smash through the ceiling and destroy the tank, making all the work for nothing. Hard to predict these things. Hence why some people like to take a hard stance when it comes to caution.

Khemul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 04:03 PM   #36
03LightningSVT
Registered Member

My thoughts:
It doesn't matter if the cut out is done with a water jet or with diamond coated hand tools, the pane of glass will see the same pressure when filled with water.

The water jet method will result in less micro-fractures on the "as cut" edges. These micro-fractures are the most likely starting point for failure regardless of method used. Finishing work done after the cut is the key to longevity.

The installation of an external overflow or "scupper" box will add rigidity and reduce the ability of the cut pane to flex or bow, thus minimizing any integrity possibly lost due to the cut out.

I'm at over 100 days and have not lost a wink of sleep over this. Take a close look, I even compromised the top brace too! In 880 days or after the meteor strike, I'll post pics of the catastrophic failure

Unread 02/27/2015, 04:41 PM   #37
Willistein
Registered Member

very cool!

Unread 03/03/2015, 06:14 PM   #38
widmer
Drug Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnaquanut View Post
One of the valuable parts of the DIY section is the experienced/pros suggesting that the user might be in over his/her head. There are times when we should hold 'em and times when we should fold 'em.
This is very sage advice, that sometimes we should go for it and other times we should hire a professional. However, it should be said that I do often find that my barometer for when to DIY is less conservative than some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemul View Post
Theoretically, everything could be fine. Theoretically a meteor could smash through the ceiling and destroy the tank, making all the work for nothing. Hard to predict these things. Hence why some people like to take a hard stance when it comes to caution.
I completely agree here as well. Specific to this project, I still fail to see how using a diamond blade (which was made to cut glass to begin with...) to very slowly, carefully, and purposefully cut a slot and then proceed sand it out to finish the edge work, using the time and care that only a hobbyist working on his or her pet project would, carries any greater risk than using a glass hole cutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistein View Post
That being said, I have decided to in fact engineer a sump into my new build. This negates part of the benefit of having an overflow slot, because I now will be placing the ATS in the sump. So I've canceled the slot overflow idea since I'll be drilling holes anyway to run lines to the sump. I had previously wanted an overflow slot because I was planning to have an ATS panel right up against the back panel of the aquarium in a sort of HOB-sump, and a slot in the back of glass would have been a really elegant way to feed water directly to the ATS panel.

But my sump plans are now almost equally outlandish; I just placed the order for the glass today, the sump itself will have the bizarre dimensions of 9.5" long x 8" wide x 18" tall. I will put up a build thread when the whole thing is up and running.

widmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2015, 08:41 AM   #39
Dactylopterus
Registered Member

Hawk, did you use a diamond disk with your dremmel? What did you use to cut the glass?

Dactylopterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2015, 05:39 AM   #40
shah1
Registered Member

I like dremel choice better for cutting glass for baffles and other small projects

shah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2015, 03:22 PM   #41
03LightningSVT
Registered Member

At 330 days, no meteor strike or catastrophic failure yet

Unread 01/23/2016, 04:58 PM   #42
03LightningSVT
Registered Member

420 days...still running like a champ

Unread 06/25/2016, 05:56 PM   #43
03LightningSVT
Registered Member

570 days, no meteor strike or catastrophic failure yet

Unread 03/07/2018, 06:16 PM   #44
03LightningSVT
Registered Member

3 years later...still running like a champ and no meteor strike or catastrophic failure yet

Unread 03/07/2018, 06:41 PM   #45
mkj
Registered Member

I had a glass shop do mine last week, cost $40 Canadian. It was a rectangle in middle top 6" x 2". Then I added a weir I got on ebay which is 1" solid and 1" weir at top. . They drill a hole at each corner and then slice towards each hole. End up with round inside corners. Vey nice proficiently straight/smooth lines. It was just the back piece of glass though not a complete tank. Then I assembled.

It would be difficult on an already put together tank. Glass is cut on a table horizontally for stability, which would be difficult to do on a complete tank.

I would suggest taking the back piece off and taking that to glass shop, then reattach. Much easier.

Half inch deep doesn't seem enough though. Your water level would be at 1/4" from top or less and if you have and water waves it would constantly spill over edge.

At my 2" depth half is solid piece of weir which leaves 1" at top for water. My water level is at around 3/4" from top which gives me some wave action ability.

Last edited by mkj; 03/07/2018 at 06:51 PM.
mkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 08:16 AM   #46
AquaManvsSkimme
Registered Member

The pictures don't show up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LightningSVT View Post
My thoughts:
It doesn't matter if the cut out is done with a water jet or with diamond coated hand tools, the pane of glass will see the same pressure when filled with water.

The water jet method will result in less micro-fractures on the "as cut" edges. These micro-fractures are the most likely starting point for failure regardless of method used. Finishing work done after the cut is the key to longevity.

The installation of an external overflow or "scupper" box will add rigidity and reduce the ability of the cut pane to flex or bow, thus minimizing any integrity possibly lost due to the cut out.

I'm at over 100 days and have not lost a wink of sleep over this. Take a close look, I even compromised the top brace too! In 880 days or after the meteor strike, I'll post pics of the catastrophic failure

AquaManvsSkimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 07:03 PM   #47
beertech
Registered Member

I've actually had exactly the described blowout hapoen.
I had drilled a series of 1" holes in the back panel of a 65 gal. It was surrounded by a glass overflow box, siliconed all around.
It didn't stop the crack that started at one hole and went right down to the bottom.
The tank had been in use for about 3 years with no issues, then one day it blew.
I didn't round or polish the edges of the holes, and I'm not sure if that would have helped prevent it.

beertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 09:00 AM   #48
ericarenee
Registered Member

The best way to do this is either with a wet saw or grinder with a high quality diamond blade, a Diamond drill bit... and diamond grit sanding/ budding pads..

The key is to avoid chips.. If you have any chips grind them down then buff them out smooth . this will keep them from becoming fractures...

If your not skilled with using power tools and cutting super hard surfaces let someone who is more skilled do it for you... I have cut a picture frame from glass in the past on my radial arm wet saw.

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 03:46 PM   #49
03LightningSVT
Registered Member

+1
As noted in post #36 "Finishing work done after the cut is the key to longevity."