Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/30/2017, 09:43 PM   #1
TwentyfiveCents
Registered Member

Do I really need filter socks?

I know it's not a huge choir to change the socks but if I drop abuncha matrix media in the area where my socks are suppose to be would that sorta do the same thing as the socks? I don't have algae problems and my system runs uln

TwentyfiveCents is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2017, 10:10 PM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

I often go w/out them and many people don't use them at all, but I would not mess w/ adding any media or anything.
Socks are just mecahnical filtration that will polish water, but if not changed regularly they can also raise nitrates, so better w/out than dirty socks.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2017, 10:59 PM   #3
manfrog
Registered Member

I have tanks with and without. One would assume that the added mechanical filtration would reduce suspended particles in the water column. My clearest tank (as far as particles in the column go) has never had a sock. My tank with the most suspended particles has a sock.
Floating particles do not always indicate a problem. There are a multitude of other variables and I would imagine a natural reef would have many floaters including some that are highly beneficial.

manfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2017, 11:30 PM   #4
TwentyfiveCents
Registered Member

I'm going going to drop the socks, I know you advised not using media but the matrix is a place for beneficial bacteria to grow and live so I don't see anything bad happening with that...I'll drop abuncha matrix in place of the socks and see what happens

TwentyfiveCents is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2017, 04:56 AM   #5
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

The filter socks and the matrix media do 2 different things. The socks filter out larger particulate matter, the matrix is like live rock and allows for bacteria to grow. They are not replacements for each other.

Unread 08/31/2017, 06:58 AM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

^^ Right, what he said, your LR should take care of those needs

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2017, 07:01 AM   #7
ozmosis7
Registered Member

I don't use them.

ozmosis7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2017, 09:04 AM   #8
Kremis
Registered Member

i use them, and change them out every 2 weeks generally

Kremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2017, 09:39 AM   #9
BigT75
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremis View Post
i use them, and change them out every 2 weeks generally

I only wish lol ATM mine need a fresh sock weekly I found 200micron for 1.50 ea on flea bay yeah china but at that price worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigT75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2017, 09:46 AM   #10
LuizW13
Registered Member

I don't use socks, but i do use a poly filter that i bought on amazon. I change those every 3 days at the most.

LuizW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2017, 12:23 PM   #11
DarkSkyForever
Registered Member

I run them when I'm having some sort of issue, like recently I was dealing with a dino explosion so I was running a sock and turkey baster to blow the snot off of the rocks. I was swapping out my socks every other day during that period.

When I was having issues with low nitrates, I left a sock on and didn't change it for over two weeks.

If I'm going to do a water change, I'll throw one on, blast the rocks and bottom with the turkey baster and turn my MP40s on nutrient export mode to get all sorts of detritus stirred up and removed. I'll leave it on for a day after the water change and then go sockless.

There is no hard and fast reason to use or not use a filter sock, they can be entirely situational as I listed above.

DarkSkyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2018, 04:53 PM   #12
bernster52
Registered Member

ok so question arise is with filter sock it softens the noise of the water flowing into the refugium from atop. without the sock it sounds like a water fall. how do i soften the noise level without the sock. Sorry for putting a question inside a question. i would love to go without the sock for the nutritional value of recycle good stuff back into the tank.

bernster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2018, 05:15 PM   #13
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernster52 View Post
ok so question arise is with filter sock it softens the noise of the water flowing into the refugium from atop. without the sock it sounds like a water fall. how do i soften the noise level without the sock. Sorry for putting a question inside a question. i would love to go without the sock for the nutritional value of recycle good stuff back into the tank.
Simply extend the pipe so that there is less of a fall the water..
The higher the falling water.. the higher the noise level..
Extend the pipe to or below the water and you won't have a falling water sound.

After that many overflows are noisy because they are flowing more water than they can properly handle and tend to suck air down and make flushing sounds,etc... if thats the problem then reduce the flowrate by adding a valve on the output of the pump to slow it down..

Unread 06/11/2018, 05:50 PM   #14
bernster52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Simply extend the pipe so that there is less of a fall the water..
The higher the falling water.. the higher the noise level..
Extend the pipe to or below the water and you won't have a falling water sound.

After that many overflows are noisy because they are flowing more water than they can properly handle and tend to suck air down and make flushing sounds,etc... if thats the problem then reduce the flowrate by adding a valve on the output of the pump to slow it down..

Unread 06/11/2018, 05:50 PM   #15
bernster52
Registered Member

Thanks I will give that a try.

Unread 06/11/2018, 06:42 PM   #16
ReefJak
Registered Member

Socks seem to be a good idea when cleaning tank etc. But not really necessary all the time. Just another area to create problems if not being kept clean.

ReefJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2018, 01:42 PM   #17
hkgar
Registered Member

no!

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2018, 10:26 PM   #18
Conchman
Registered Member

I could sell you a brand new, never used sock that came with my Trigger...�� me, I no longer use them...

Conchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 11:06 AM   #19
scooter31707
Registered Member

I only use them when I turkey blast the rocks during water changes. I usually let them run for about 3-4 days after the water change.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 12:53 PM   #20
first29gallon
Registered Member

Without the filet socks do your sump get extra dirty and require cleaning more often ?

first29gallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 12:58 PM   #21
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by first29gallon View Post
Without the filet socks do your sump get extra dirty and require cleaning more often ?

2 years of no socks on my current tank. Haven’t cleaned the sump yet. Yes there is build up, no I don’t care. It can stay. Critters live in it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 03:00 PM   #22
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by first29gallon View Post

I don't know. I don't really look.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 07:28 PM   #23
fijisrfr
Registered Member

NO,NO,& NO again!!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fijisrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 09:38 AM   #24
LeJeune981
Registered Member

I stopped running filter socks a while back..prolly 6 months or better ago.. best thing I've done for the tank.. more coral growth.. more pods and tiny life.. my fuge has a bit of crud built up on the bottom.. but when I look close.. there is TONS of life living in and on it..

When I was dosing no pox i ran a mesh bag for a sock to catch the random bacteria slime that would come out of my return pump.. and to catch dead algae as it would float around..

My water is not crystal clear..but it is still very clear.. it just has stuff floating all through it. But as I understand that is all coral food and critters

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote