Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/17/2018, 03:37 PM   #1
Valentini89
Registered Member

Need bigger return pump.. Suggestions?

So I have a jabao/jecod 9000 for my 150 gallon. Thing is, once the apex flow meter was installed I found out I'm not getting enough flow to the DT. The LFS recommended not going with a dc pump when we upgrade but I like the flex of control with dc. Suggestions?

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 05:23 PM   #2
Dross
Registered Member

How much flow do you want and what is size and arrangement of your return piping?

Dross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 05:36 PM   #3
Lsufan
Registered Member

For ac pumps I really like the fluval pumps. I have the fluval sp6 on my 150. It is a very powerful pump. I have it feeding a seperate fuge & 2 reactors from a manifold & still have to keep it dialed down quite a bit & am getting about 800gph flow to the dt. It is oversized but I wanted to keep the same pump when I upgrade to a 210. I always oversize my returns anyway becau I like using manifolds to feed my other equipment. Plus a valve on the return will control the flow anyway.

I havnt used a bunch of different return pumps to compare it to. I like it more then my ehiem 1262 & I like that pump also. The fluvals are powerful, reliable & as quiet as they get for ac pumps. I wouldn’t trade mine for anything even remotely close to it price range. The sp4 is probably a better choice for your size tank. We would have to know more about your setup & goals to determine a size

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 06:12 PM   #4
Valentini89
Registered Member

Yeah I think the maintenance guy mentioned that the jebao 12000 would be sufficient. I'm not worried about having more flow than I need, that is- I currently have nothing that needs additional flow.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Unread 06/18/2018, 03:52 PM   #5
biecacka
Registered Member

I don't think a controllable pump is needed or a positive for a return pump. The reason is simple, changing the flow of that pump is cause for fluctuations in the sump. This can lead it skimmer changes, ato inconsistency, and possible flooding.

I use a reeflo dart for my return pump and love it! Feed my manifold off it and have had good success with it. The reeflo pumps are the only return pumps I have experience with though so take that for what's it's worth.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 04:04 PM   #6
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentini89 View Post
...once the apex flow meter was installed I found out I'm not getting enough flow to the DT...Suggestions?
I suggest taking off the flow meter and selling it as quickly as you can.

Most setups are better off with slower flow through the sump anyway IMO. More flow through the sump is noisier, and way less efficient than a simple in tank solution.

HTH

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 06:24 PM   #7
laffy
Registered Member

Have you looked at the Maxspect turbine line of pumps? They can be setup in single, dual or 2-1 configuration for more flow. I ordered a 12k as more return pump that will be used in dual configuration, one line to the main and another line to the refugium.

laffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 08:08 PM   #8
R1ant04
Registered Member

Fluval SP series with gate valve.....

R1ant04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 06:35 AM   #9
Dross
Registered Member

Most low flow issues are caused by undersized return piping. I would look hard at your return piping. A Jebao 9000 needs at least 1-1/4" piping to take full advantage of its capacity. Putting a higher capacity pump with undersized returns may not gain much flow.

Dross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 09:42 AM   #10
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
So I have a jabao/jecod 9000 for my 150 gallon. Thing is, once the apex flow meter was installed I found out I'm not getting enough flow to the DT. The LFS recommended not going with a dc pump when we upgrade but I like the flex of control with dc. Suggestions?
My curiosity is getting me. Were you getting enough flow prior to actually knowing what that number was? I find that nearly everyone who gets a flow meter comes to find out they are getting far less flow than the previously thought.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 10:00 AM   #11
cincyjim
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the spot View Post
I suggest taking off the flow meter and selling it as quickly as you can.

Most setups are better off with slower flow through the sump anyway IMO. More flow through the sump is noisier, and way less efficient than a simple in tank solution.

HTH
+ 1 totally agree with this. You can use power heads to move water in the tank itself. Give the sump the flow it needs to do its job!

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 10:41 AM   #12
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

the flow meter itself probably reduced the flow some more. I would not rely on that reading. your current pump may be more than sufficient. try running the pump in your bath tub with the flow meter and see what reading you get.

as others said, flow is dependent on pipe size, and the number of elbows used. if your target flow is say 1000-1200gph, then your dc9000 should be able to provide that. maybe try cleaning the pump if its been a while since you cleaned it. if it is feasible, you can get more flow by changing the return pipes to larger pipe and less elbows than using a bigger pump.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 06:33 PM   #13
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
My curiosity is getting me. Were you getting enough flow prior to actually knowing what that number was? I find that nearly everyone who gets a flow meter comes to find out they are getting far less flow than the previously thought.
Well, I thought I was getting enough flow. I'm not sure.

Unread 06/19/2018, 08:26 PM   #14
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, I thought I was getting enough flow. I'm not sure.
the problem was the flow meter, not the pump. Life was better when you thought you had enough flow. Dont chase numbers. I had about 600gph on my 225g when I was TOTM.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 08:50 PM   #15
JohnnyHildo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
the problem was the flow meter, not the pump. Life was better when you thought you had enough flow. Dont chase numbers. I had about 600gph on my 225g when I was TOTM.
exactly how I see it too... if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Current Tank Info: Acros - Zoas - Palys
JohnnyHildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2018, 07:51 PM   #16
biecacka
Registered Member

+1

I don't even attempt to monitor mine.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote