Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/17/2019, 11:15 AM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

new ritteri anemone

Hi,
I jsut got one 3 days ago. It seems to be doing well. Attached very quickly to it's rock. It's stomach is still party exposed, tentacles pretty full, partly sticky.
**When I feed "him" clam bits or little mysis, they stick briefly then they are released, so nothing is eaten. What should I do?

Thanks

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2019, 11:51 AM   #2
CTaylor
Registered Member

Here are the pics of it

here are the pics of it. *The right side seems completely pulled in, as if the anemone ends at the side of the mouth.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ritteri1.jpg (104.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg ritteri2.jpg (96.7 KB, 55 views)
Unread 05/17/2019, 01:06 PM   #3
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Feeding 3 days after introducing to your tank is a little too soon. It doesn’t seem fully settled yet. Wait for a couple of more days. Monitor water carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2019, 01:16 PM   #4
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreyhh View Post
Feeding 3 days after introducing to your tank is a little too soon. It doesn’t seem fully settled yet. Wait for a couple of more days. Monitor water carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now it's looking like it's just not doing good on that right side

Last edited by CTaylor; 05/17/2019 at 01:25 PM.
Unread 05/17/2019, 03:58 PM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
Now it's looking like it's just not doing good on that right side
Did it look normal when you got it?
On the pictures it looks almost like half of it is missing, as if someone tried to frag it.

BTW, you might want to have a moderator move this to the Anemone and Clownfish forum.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2019, 04:45 PM   #6
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Did it look normal when you got it?
On the pictures it looks almost like half of it is missing, as if someone tried to frag it.

BTW, you might want to have a moderator move this to the Anemone and Clownfish forum.
It looked like a blob when I got it, with the stomach out, tentacles flat. But I assumed that's how it would look after shipping. It attached quickly to a rock, and tentacles inflated. The stomach went mostly in. But then I noticed that the right half looks like it does.. and now it's worse, tentacles totally deflated, stomach half out, and that right side, yes looks like it was fragged. Weird. Still firmly attached, though. I did put the two clowns in yesterday. I was hoping they would actually help it along. It was looking ok this morning (I'm sure the right side was always like that, I just never noticed).

Can this be normal since I got it a few days ago?

PS I dont know how to let a mod know to ask to move the thread.

TY

Unread 05/17/2019, 04:52 PM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
It looked like a blob when I got it, with the stomach out, tentacles flat. But I assumed that's how it would look after shipping. It attached quickly to a rock, and tentacles inflated. The stomach went mostly in. But then I noticed that the right half looks like it does.. and now it's worse, tentacles totally deflated, stomach half out, and that right side, yes looks like it was fragged. Weird. Still firmly attached, though. I did put the two clowns in yesterday. I was hoping they would actually help it along. It was looking ok this morning (I'm sure the right side was always like that, I just never noticed).

Can this be normal since I got it a few days ago?

PS I dont know how to let a mod know to ask to move the thread.

TY
If it deflated again and has its intestines hanging out it is most likely sick and needs treatment with Cipro in a hospital tank (in some cases 5 gallon bucket may do as well).

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 05/17/2019, 04:54 PM   #8
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
If it deflated again and has its intestines hanging out it is most likely sick and needs treatment with Cipro in a hospital tank (in some cases 5 gallon bucket may do as well).
Where do I get cipro? and I would guess I need it fast

Unread 05/17/2019, 04:59 PM   #9
CTaylor
Registered Member

I think it's the shipping that did it. I didnt get it until 4 pm. LA used to have delivery by 10 am. But I realized now they have by end of day. The acro that came along didnt look great either, with almost bleached tips. \

Here's the ritteri now. Coudl it be my lighting? It can bleach acros even when they are on bottom of the tank. kessil ap700 and two kessil a600 one on either end of a 48" wide tank. 22" tall. But he woudl move if the lighting was too much, right?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ritteri3.jpg (68.8 KB, 44 views)
Unread 05/17/2019, 06:04 PM   #10
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
I think it's the shipping that did it. I didnt get it until 4 pm. LA used to have delivery by 10 am. But I realized now they have by end of day. The acro that came along didnt look great either, with almost bleached tips. \

Here's the ritteri now. Coudl it be my lighting? It can bleach acros even when they are on bottom of the tank. kessil ap700 and two kessil a600 one on either end of a 48" wide tank. 22" tall. But he woudl move if the lighting was too much, right?
If you got it from LA you should contact them right away and notify them that the anemone arrived sick.
Shipping duration can have an impact, but is not necessarily the primary cause.

I had a gigantea arrive from LA that looked like a ball of slime at first but recovered within a day and never deflated again. I don't think it was sick but I treated it anyway just for good measure.
The bleaching can be the light but is generally the stress and the infection. Your magnifica is definitely sick. And from the looks of it it has a good chunk of its body missing.
All good reasons to contact LA right away and report this - and don't let them tell you that the anemone needs time to recover and acclimate, this one is sick and will not get better without treatment.

Unread 05/17/2019, 10:00 PM   #11
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
If you got it from LA you should contact them right away and notify them that the anemone arrived sick.
Shipping duration can have an impact, but is not necessarily the primary cause.

I had a gigantea arrive from LA that looked like a ball of slime at first but recovered within a day and never deflated again. I don't think it was sick but I treated it anyway just for good measure.
The bleaching can be the light but is generally the stress and the infection. Your magnifica is definitely sick. And from the looks of it it has a good chunk of its body missing.
All good reasons to contact LA right away and report this - and don't let them tell you that the anemone needs time to recover and acclimate, this one is sick and will not get better without treatment.
I turned it out of the light. Back to how it was this a.m. it was away from the light, but I turned it so I can see it more. After that it started looking horrible. So I put it back. Here it is now. I cant see the bad area. I'm sure it's there, but maybe it will 'heal'? It's cloudy water b/c I'm taking the rocks out to catch a killer dotty back lol

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ritteri4.jpg (83.8 KB, 40 views)
Unread 05/18/2019, 08:26 AM   #12
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Deflation cycles are common with these animals, and almost invariably fatal without treatment. Mag may well look ok in the morning but end up like hammered dog poop by the afternoon. Soon enough it will just be a pile of goo. Fish Flox is cipro BTW.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2019, 03:12 PM   #13
OrionN
Moved on

I agree with ca1ore and ThRoewer. I would treat him ASAP using the protocol here.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2271385

Best of luck.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2019, 04:39 PM   #14
CTaylor
Registered Member

Hi TY
But the ritteri is ripped, chunk out of it. I dont see how a treatment will unrip this huge gash. :-/

Unread 05/20/2019, 07:40 PM   #15
PurpleCarpet
Registered Member

That's a shame, sorry to hear about that.

PurpleCarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2019, 08:24 PM   #16
CTaylor
Registered Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCarpet View Post
That's a shame, sorry to hear about that.
me too !.. I dont know how it can get ripped or a chunk out of it in shipping. It didnt happen in my tank I'm 90% sure, as it remained in same spot the entire time through now. It opened up more and more, but looking back, never in that area. Either it was sent to me that way or UPS mishandled it. I just can't see how that damage could have happened that quickly from when it left LAquaria (if it happened after) to when that first pic I posted was. THough it may have been a small defect that just grew as well.. But I dont see it as starting in my tank. (I'm being defensive ... but also making sense :-D.. I think !

Unread 05/20/2019, 08:36 PM   #17
PurpleCarpet
Registered Member

Have you reached out to LA to see if there's anything they can do for you?

PurpleCarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2019, 09:39 PM   #18
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCarpet View Post
Have you reached out to LA to see if there's anything they can do for you?
Yes. They replied to keep in good flow, good lighting, good water conditions. There's really not much more to expect since it's not dead yet. I think they are taking the correct stand point at this point. They have always done "the right thing" in the past in similar situations. As long as I keep them informed on what's going on I know they will credit the purchase. Just unfortunately it happened to this anemone in the first place. I also don't know what the condition is of their live stock now, one of the two acros I got that day from them is stn'ing. It didnt look quite right in the shipping bag also. I've tried other things from them recently and it just hasn't been the same as say 6 months ago. It could just be random luck though as well. I'm looking now to try saltwaterfish.com more. Even though they are way more $$ in the things I'm interested in.

Unread 05/24/2019, 11:28 AM   #19
D-Nak
Registered Member

Have you started treating it? As others recommended, if you haven't started you should start ASAP.

Even if it's ripped, it should still not deflate. I've ripped a couple of magnifica and gigantea and they don't deflate. I've had a magnifica partially split and ended up cutting the two parts to finish the division and neither half deflated.

Deflation happens when a nem is trying to expel something, be it waste or dead zoox, or when it doesn't like water conditions (high nitrates, phosphates, etc.).

With magnifica in particular, I've noticed that they deflate sections of their tentacles, and it moves in a circular motion around the oral disk.

Unlike BTAs that deflate frequently and quick bounce back, magnifica rarely deflate. Multiple deflations is a sure sign of a problem.

Unread 05/24/2019, 12:33 PM   #20
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes. They replied to keep in good flow, good lighting, good water conditions. There's really not much more to expect since it's not dead yet. I think they are taking the correct stand point at this point. They have always done "the right thing" in the past in similar situations. As long as I keep them informed on what's going on I know they will credit the purchase. Just unfortunately it happened to this anemone in the first place. I also don't know what the condition is of their live stock now, one of the two acros I got that day from them is stn'ing. It didnt look quite right in the shipping bag also. I've tried other things from them recently and it just hasn't been the same as say 6 months ago. It could just be random luck though as well. I'm looking now to try saltwaterfish.com more. Even though they are way more $$ in the things I'm interested in.
No, they are wrong!
Neither good flow, light, or water quality will get this anemone over the infection and back to health.
What it needs is treatment with Cipro. And that ASAP!
I would also inform Life Aquaria that the anemone is sick and that you are treating it with antibiotics.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Unread 05/24/2019, 12:48 PM   #21
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
No, they are wrong!
Neither good flow, light, or water quality will get this anemone over the infection and back to health.
What it needs is treatment with Cipro. And that ASAP!
I would also inform Life Aquaria that the anemone is sick and that you are treating it with antibiotics.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

but it does have that gash and tear in it.. it looks horrible right now esp with the tear and gash. how will cipro fix that?
(I know they were wrong though lol )

Unread 05/24/2019, 01:01 PM   #22
smilinteddy
Registered Member

Quote:
but it does have that gash and tear in it.. it looks horrible right now esp with the tear and gash. how will cipro fix that?
(I know they were wrong though lol )
I don't think anyone is arguing that the Cipro will help the gash/tissue damage if that's what's going on. They are just saying that given the behavior of the nem, it is suffering from some sort of illness which needs to be treated with Cipro, independent of the fact that it has tissue damage.

It would be like a human with a disease and also an arm ripped off. You would still medicate to treat the disease even though it won't do anything for the arm.

Treating for the illness won't necessarily help with the flesh trauma, but it will give the nem a better shot at recovering if it isn't also fighting a sickness.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by smilinteddy; 05/24/2019 at 01:15 PM.
smilinteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2019, 01:13 PM   #23
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinteddy View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing that the Cipro won't help the gash/tissue damage if that's what's going on. They are just saying that given the behavior of the nem, it is suffering from some sort of illness which needs to be treated with Cipro, independent of the fact that it has tissue damage.

It would be like a human with a disease and also an arm ripped off. You would still medicate to treat the disease even though it won't do anything for the arm.

Treating for the illness won't necessarily help with the flesh trauma, but it will give the nem a better shot at recovering if it isn't also fighting a sickness.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Yes, this is exactly what we're saying. The rip is independent of the fact that it probably has a bacterial infection.

In my experience, the rip won't kill it, but the infection surely will.

I've had a couple of nems have a run in with a MP40. I simply removed the ripped/dead tissue and the nem recovered on its own. Both times.

Unread 05/24/2019, 02:26 PM   #24
CTaylor
Registered Member

crap.. i just have fish sulfa forte. I do not have cipro. I somehow thought the sulfa forte = cipro

Edit.. the protocol says Sulfa forte can be used // the ritteri looks like a mess. I dont see how it can recover.
see pic in next post It's 10 days since I got it, so at least 10 days it's been sick and with tear/gash.

Last edited by CTaylor; 05/24/2019 at 02:35 PM.
Unread 05/24/2019, 02:35 PM   #25
CTaylor
Registered Member

pic of ritteri now friday 5/24

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ritteri5.jpg (73.5 KB, 22 views)